Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 08:51 AM

Re: Slow Cookers

Hi

Brown your brisket and caramelise your onions.

Use a couple of cans of bitter or a can of Guinness as the liquid, frozen stew pack, beef stock cubes and dried herbs.

Top up with boiling water and away you go.

Idiot proof.

You need to go on the Internet and get the instructions , some makes require pre heating.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi mups , I have a medium size slow cooker , to be honest I don't use it anymore now I'm retired and on my own , yet I won't give it away as I know I may use it in the future when family or friends come . It was constantly used when I was married and working . The reason I don't use it now is because I'm home and Cook at lunchtime and a casserole or stew is ready in just over an hour so I'm ready to eat . But if you are going out for the day you could pop it on and put your meat and veg in with seasoning etc and when you walk in the door the wonderful smell will entice you to eat . I've also made mulled wine in mine , keeps it hot prior to and during a social evening . They are well worth having .

Enjoy

Susan darlin' - you can still use your slow cooker even though you're at home. I tend to do 'sunday roasts' over night. Prepare the meat in the slow cooker Saturday afternoon, and switch on last thing at night before retiring. The meat will cook while you're sleeping and the smell emanating from your kitchen will make your nose twitch when you go and make breakfast.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 09:15 AM

I live alone and have a family sized slow cooker, plus a small one person sized one. I use the big one the most, making beef casseroles which I then freeze in individual foil dishes. A pound of stewing beef, bag of stew vegetables (carrot, onion, swede, parsnip) herbs and seasoning, all get thrown in, together with stock and wine (if there is any), plus I always add a tin of tomatoes.

I think the stews develop much more flavour when they have been frozen. Although it doesn't get used on a regular basis, I would not be without my slow cooker, and of course, my halogen cooker. The boon of a single person's kitchen.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Aye,I too have a slow cooker Mups mainly used to cook stews/curries..You don't have to keep an eye on it like on the hob..You'll get a recipe book with it too..practice makes perfect
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 11:07 AM

When I worked full time and had all the kids at home we worshipped at the feet of the slow cooker. It was a life saver on some days.

I still use it once a week for batches of single portions so Nathan can just defrost a portion when he wants his dinner, 5am this morning !

I'd suggest biggest one you can if you want to batch cook but one that takes a chicken as suggested is really mimimum size I'd suggest.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Two people have recommended these to me recently and they sound quite good.

Before I buy, has anyone got any 'Fors & Against' or tips what to look out for please?
Mups... this is the one I have. I searched Google for a piccie.. It really is SO old, late 70s or early 80s and it's still going strong. Described as 'retro' now

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...jWIvkrZRlnDCM:

It's 'Corning Ware', so the dish can be used in the oven, on the hob, also m/wave.
Any left overs, you can leave in the pot, put it in the fridge... take it out of the fridge then put straight onto the hob.

No idea if modern slow cookers differ from mine, but as there is no evaporation the only thing I will say is that you have to use LESS liquid than you would normally use if you were doing a casserole in the usual oven way. Plus it's very watery, so you'll need to thicken the liquid.

As I said before, go for it kiddo
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks ever so much everyone, you've all been really helpful.
I shall now look at what's available and work out which one to buy.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Mups... this is the one I have. I searched Google for a piccie.. It really is SO old, late 70s or early 80s and it's still going strong. Described as 'retro' now

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pi...jWIvkrZRlnDCM:

It's 'Corning Ware', so the dish can be used in the oven, on the hob, also m/wave.
Any left overs, you can leave in the pot, put it in the fridge... take it out of the fridge then put straight onto the hob.

No idea if modern slow cookers differ from mine, but as there is no evaporation the only thing I will say is that you have to use LESS liquid than you would normally use if you were doing a casserole in the usual oven way. Plus it's very watery, so you'll need to thicken the liquid.

As I said before, go for it kiddo

I have one of those darlin' - but I unfortunately managed to break the knob off the pyrex handle on the lid. I was in contact with Pifco, to try and purchase a new lid. When I gave them the product number on the bottom of the cooker, I was told it was too old and obsolete, therefore no lid replacement was possible. The cooker still works and the lid itself is intact just have to use oven gloves to lift the lid.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I have one of those darlin' - but I unfortunately managed to break the knob off the pyrex handle on the lid. I was in contact with Pifco, to try and purchase a new lid. When I gave them the product number on the bottom of the cooker, I was told it was too old and obsolete, therefore no lid replacement was possible. The cooker still works and the lid itself is intact just have to use oven gloves to lift the lid.
Good aren't they? I do wonder how they differ from the modern ones though.

Have you tried ebay or gumtree for a replacement lid UJ? I was surprised to see them being sold as 'vintage' or 'retro' when I was searching Google for a piccie. People still want them it seems

Edited:

Get the whole thing for £4.99 here...is Weymouth near you?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-Oran...75.c100623.m-1

(Just checked Weymouth is nowhere near you )
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2017, 10:43 PM

I'm here by myself and i use the SC all the time. I did soup yesterday and have whizzed it up, then portioned it into the freever. A do lots of curries & casseroles, they get bagged in the freezer , so they're easy meals then. Bought a piece of pork today and i've just turned that off. Tomorrow i'll probably chop into 4/5 pieces and again put them in the freezer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top