Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 04:55 PM

I need some help from those with knowledge!

Hi, My pc is in my office where the wired connection is. My television, that is not connected to the internet, is in my lounge.
Yesterday my TV started flickering, when I turned it on, and then a message came up with the phone number and internet address where I could contact them.
I phoned and got an answering machine with different options, but when I pressed the options the few seconds later it said "Timed out" so I hung up!
I then tried the internet and it wouldn't connect me... so I phoned Tesco, where I bought the Tv from less than a year ago.
I told them about this message on my TV screen and they said " Oh don't do anything with them, it is a scam" but they couldn't understand how they had put it on my TV when it had no internet connection!
Tesco have agreed to come out and fix the flickering on my TV in a few days time..... but when I switched the Tv on this afternoon it is perfectly alright so working fine.
Also, for the last 5 weeks my TV has been switching itself on in the middle of the night, so I had to do and switch it off. A bit scary as I was woken to voices in my house.
I would really appreciate it if anybody could advise me about this or offer any suggestions on what it was.
Thank you!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 05:02 PM

Re: I need some help from those with knowledge!

Could be the batteries in your remote control are on their last legs.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Blimey .....

I've never had that experience with a TV so I can't help .....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Thanks for responding. After typing that my TV was ok again, it went wrong again so I called tesco for advice. The man I dpoke to said the people who put the message on my TV were no scammers, they were the company that manufacture the TV. When I said " It was one of your staff that told me it was a scam" he was furious and is now searching all their calls to find who said that to me... think he may be in trouble!
He gave me instructions on how to reset the TV set up... but that won't work either.
Looks like I may have to get an engineer to look at it, because I have only had it for about 9 months and I definitely don't want to be getting up in the night when I hear voices. the first time I really thought there was somebody in the house!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Thanks for responding. After typing that my TV was ok again, it went wrong again so I called tesco for advice. The man I dpoke to said the people who put the message on my TV were no scammers, they were the company that manufacture the TV. When I said " It was one of your staff that told me it was a scam" he was furious and is now searching all their calls to find who said that to me... think he may be in trouble!
He gave me instructions on how to reset the TV set up... but that won't work either.
Looks like I may have to get an engineer to look at it, because I have only had it for about 9 months and I definitely don't want to be getting up in the night when I hear voices. the first time I really thought there was somebody in the house!

No, I don't flippin' blame you either Twink. I'd have been scared stiff.

If it's still under guarantee, can't you just call someone out?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
SO, if this TV is "talking", is it also "listening" and "watching" .....

Why your smart TV is the perfect way to spy on you

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...rfect-way-spy/

TVs like mobile phones often betray our most intimate lives, often being located in the centre of our homes. They are often fitted with cameras and microphones, as well as internal memories, which can be used to monitor what we're doing, saying and watching.

As a newer internet connected device, smart TVs are less likely to receive proper security support. This is in part because users don't expect them, because of the variety of different operating systems, and as security isn't traditionally the remit of TV manufacturers. Added to this, users are less likely to use best security practices when it comes to their TV, such as changing passwords and regularly updating the software.

Recent news has shown that everyone from manufacturers to advertisers to the intelligence services could be watching you through your TV.

Fears that smart TVs could be watching their owners first arose back in 2015 when one of Samsung's privacy policy warned that all voice recognition data would be passed to a third party. "Be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your voice recognition," it said.
However:

How can you stop them?

TV manufacturers can only monitor customers if they have provided their consent. This is often asked for in the set-up process, but can generally be revoked at a later date in Settings.
So get the engineer to show you how to adjust "Settings" .....
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:36 PM

Oh!

It does depend what sort of TV it is, but most (usually but not necessarily always "smart" TV's) nowadays run on software similar to Android on a phone; an operating system for your TV which is often specific to the type and make of TV.

Very occasionally either a hardware problem or a software problem can cause the operating system to malfunction, causing the type of message you saw.
As your TV turned itself on/off at random I suspect a hardware fault which would probably explain your inability to reset the operating system.
Think of it as being like rebooting a smartphone to clear an error, which I'm guessing many of us have had to do.

If you haven't already, try unplugging the TV from the mains for a few minutes and try to reboot it again before calling an engineer out.
It's an outside shot BUT it does sometimes work.

On the bright side Twink55, at least it's under guarantee I suppose and FWIW Tesco are usually pretty good with aftersales.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:40 PM

Perhaps it may help if you totally switch off the TV overnight from the wall plug every night.
Leaving the TV on standby only uses electricity on you as well.
Also perhaps go into settings and see if there is an option to update the TV.
It is a shame I don't live just around the corner so I could come around to yours in order to try and get you properly switched on.
All I would expect for switching you on properly is a nice cold pint of beer!
Cheers!
Conroy
Surrey .uk
Conroy is male  Conroy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 07:57 PM

Isolating a device for electronic component failure analysis starts by forming a plan of action, this will make your problem source easy. Given a specific failure mode, there are a limited number of possible explanations; by determining which of these is the most plausible, you may begin to put together a theory that will help to limit the number of possible failing components. Board layouts and schematics are invaluable at this point – by allowing you to see the hidden connections between devices, they enable a more straightforward determination of where a problem may exist. Once you have developed a reasonably solid idea of where the defect may exist, the project can progress from the planning stages into action.
In order to prove your theory, you must be able to provide concrete electrical data pinpointing the failing component. In order to accomplish this, it is often necessary to “modify” the failing circuit in order to narrow down the location of the failure. This process may be as simple as removing components from the board and checking to see if the reported failure is still present; in more complex cases, it may be necessary to carefully cut traces on a board in order to isolate a device from other parts of the circuit. Immediately following every circuit modification, additional electrical testing is necessary to determine whether the correct component has been identified; once the failing device has been found, failure analysis of the individual electronic component can begin
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Conroy ->
Isolating a device for electronic component failure analysis starts by forming a plan of action, this will make your problem source easy. Given a specific failure mode, there are a limited number of possible explanations; by determining which of these is the most plausible, you may begin to put together a theory that will help to limit the number of possible failing components. Board layouts and schematics are invaluable at this point – by allowing you to see the hidden connections between devices, they enable a more straightforward determination of where a problem may exist. Once you have developed a reasonably solid idea of where the defect may exist, the project can progress from the planning stages into action.
In order to prove your theory, you must be able to provide concrete electrical data pinpointing the failing component. In order to accomplish this, it is often necessary to “modify” the failing circuit in order to narrow down the location of the failure. This process may be as simple as removing components from the board and checking to see if the reported failure is still present; in more complex cases, it may be necessary to carefully cut traces on a board in order to isolate a device from other parts of the circuit. Immediately following every circuit modification, additional electrical testing is necessary to determine whether the correct component has been identified; once the failing device has been found, failure analysis of the individual electronic component can begin
Now here is someone with the knowledge Art.
I hope you were listening!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top