Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 01:41 PM

Losing Ability To Sign in to W10 Account.

By coincidence, I could not log in to my W10 account, this morning, as I got a message saying "Can't log in to your W10 account, Sign out and sign back in.....".

Signing back in didn't help!

It's a coincidence because I last had this loss of sign in just after the W10 updates in the Spring.(Last Night the Autumn update installed automatically)

Anyway, no amount of attempts enabled me to get in except that I could get into a basic account such that I had a little control, even if it was only for a very reduced set of apps.

OK, to get to the point of this post, I cannot stress enough the need to make sure that you always have two accounts which you can log in to.

That way, if one of the accounts gets corrupted, such that you are unable to sign in, as mine has twice, you can get to everything through the other one.

To get the second account you just go in to Control Panel and create a new account, give it a password, and Bob's your Aunty!
You may have to copy some Apps across from the old account - but we can advise how to do that if you wish!

p.s. Having removed last night's updates, I re-updated after I got my system back, today, and nothing untoward happened this time.

Simples!

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 03:14 PM

Re: Losing Ability To Sign in to W10 Account.

or you could just uninstall W10 and revert back to a decent OS like W7!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Also FWIW, you can control (not stop) those W10 updates.

You can tell your system that your network (broadband) connection is limited (i.e. that it costs you money per GB usage). If you do that it won't then automatically download any updates. So you get to choose the day and tim ethat any are installed and then you'll know if they caused a problem.

If you don't get on and install those updates then W10 will eventually berate you and refuse to play ball until you do.

That's the primary reason I won't upgrade to W10. You are not in control and you are being tracked relentlessly imo.

With W7 you can simply disable windows updates altogether and never ever have to be bothered by them. I had run W7 for years, never had a single Windows update since I bought my laptops and never had any trouble as a result of that. The whole update process is predicated as ever on a "Campaign Of Fear", i.e. install the latest security updates or you'll get a virus etc. Billy BS. Never had any trouble, I surf the net at least 14 hours every day, I configure my machine sensibly, diaable what doesn't need to be active, block sites that track your activities in the firewall, only enable Javascript when absolutely needed and so on. Not rocket science. No need for W10 and the 1984 totalitarian cyber world.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2017, 08:20 PM

Looks like it isn't down to the updates.

A search of the web shows:-

1) Lots of people seeing this problem if they use Avast. (I don't)
2) Although there are several reports few are tying it to Windows Updates.
3) As mine focuses down to a corrupted registry entry (relating to the log in of my account) it would suggest that I have corrupted a registry file.
4) I now suspect my SSD as I failed to notice that W10 is running a disk check each time I start up. It indicates no errors - so why does it run the check, I ask myself. However, searching on SSD failures turns up some of these.
5) If there was a problem, due to the recent updates, I would expect quite a few web reports as there must be several million people getting the update. This seems not be happening.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top