Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 09:13 PM

Reliable mouse?

Both my wife and I bought Logitech mice perhaps a couple of years ago. They are very good mice with several useful features, however, they both suffer from the same problem: unreliable left mouse clicks.

My first mouse needed several left clicks in order to achieve the intended function. I complained whilst it was under warranty and received a replacement, this too is now showing signs of unreliability: the left mouse button sometimes requires more than one press to work.

My wife's mouse is now misbehaving. It very often now fails to respond to left clicks, yet sometimes clicks three or more times, undoing the action it has taken.

To me, this points to one possible common problem: the use of poor quality microswitches.

I'm not looking for a repair solution; the truth is that we have learnt now to avoid buying Logitech products.

My question is, does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality mouse? Features are unimportant. What we both really need is reliability above all else.

Can anyone help, please, with recommendations, preferably after extended personal use?
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 09:32 PM

Re: Reliable mouse?

I've had more unreliable mice than hot dinners. Battery eaters, clicks work sometimes and so on. Best one was an Apple (when I had a Mac), Advent from PC World is working OK, just bought a white one made by HP ffor the laptop, and seems quite good.

Try one with the ball on top which means you don't have to move the mouse.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2017, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
I've had more unreliable mice than hot dinners. Battery eaters, clicks work sometimes and so on. Best one was an Apple (when I had a Mac), Advent from PC World is working OK, just bought a white one made by HP ffor the laptop, and seems quite good.

Try one with the ball on top which means you don't have to move the mouse.
Thanks Dobra.

I can't use an Apple mouse and I prefer a conventional mouse rather than a rollerball type, but thanks anyway.

I'd be really pleased if someone here has been using a mouse for a couple of years or more without any problems, and can let me know me the model!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 06:50 AM

I bought an HP X4000 wireless laser mouse from Amazon in April 2014. It has had much use and is still left-clicking reliably. The two AA batteries last for ages. Probably longer if the mouse is turned off when not in use.

Amazon doesn't sell the X4000 anymore. It has been superceded by the X4500, which I assume might be as good. However, user reviews say this one is identical to the X4000. Be aware that the X4000b is the bluetooth version and opinions/reviews on this might be different.

The mouse comes with a matching dongle and I read that if you lose this, or it stops working, it cannot be replaced as a separate item.

Edit: Years ago, I sourced some micro-switches for a mouse I had. I don't know if that would be an option now. If so, it could be possible to change the switches if your soldering skills are OK.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 07:02 AM

Mine are both Logitech - had the PC one for about 12yrs - no problems at all which is why I bought another one for the laptop a couple of years ago - no problems with that one - so far.

You could try this one:-

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 08:41 AM

Since the onset of the optical mouse I don't think I have had a problem with them, I have a box of discarded ones because every new desktop computer comes with one.

Not to worry, here are the instructions to make your own origami mouse.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 08:49 AM

Get mine at the poundshop, at that price consider them disposable.,
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2017, 09:29 AM

Hi JBR,
just wondering if your mouse software needs updating I have used Logitech for years and have something called Logitech Options sitting on my desktop and have just used it after reading your post and a small update came through.
Brian.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I bought an HP X4000 wireless laser mouse from Amazon in April 2014. It has had much use and is still left-clicking reliably. The two AA batteries last for ages. Probably longer if the mouse is turned off when not in use.

Amazon doesn't sell the X4000 anymore. It has been superceded by the X4500, which I assume might be as good. However, user reviews say this one is identical to the X4000. Be aware that the X4000b is the bluetooth version and opinions/reviews on this might be different.

The mouse comes with a matching dongle and I read that if you lose this, or it stops working, it cannot be replaced as a separate item.

Edit: Years ago, I sourced some micro-switches for a mouse I had. I don't know if that would be an option now. If so, it could be possible to change the switches if your soldering skills are OK.
Thanks for that Mart. The X4500 is about £22 on Amazon which is about the same as we paid for our Logitech ones. That's now on my list for when mine goes belly up.

As for my wife's, I have another plan.

When my first mouse failed, I contacted Logitech and, as it was less than a year old, they replaced it with the next version up free of charge.

They didn't want the old one back, so I took it apart and sprayed a little WD40 on the microswitch. It works properly again! I'll do the same with my wife's.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Not to worry, here are the instructions to make your own origami mouse.
Thanks Bruce.
I made one following your instructions but, unfortunately, my computer doesn't recognise it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top