Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:26 AM

My Landline

Anyone know much about landline phones?

Mine is a BT cordless one, with two handsets. I picked it up last night to make a call and there was no dialling tone.
The face lights up alright, and it is fully charged, but it is totally silent.

I tried it to see if I could ring out and I can.
Then I rang it from my mobile to see if I could get incoming calls and I can.

Usually it makes little bleeping noises as each key is pressed but it has gone totally silent, no bleeps and no dialling tone.

Any idea what's happened or how to put it right please?
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:34 AM

Re: My Landline

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Anyone know much about landline phones?

Mine is a BT cordless one, with two handsets. I picked it up last night to make a call and there was no dialling tone.
The face lights up alright, and it is fully charged, but it is totally silent.

I tried it to see if I could ring out and I can.
Then I rang it from my mobile to see if I could get incoming calls and I can.

Usually it makes little bleeping noises as each key is pressed but it has gone totally silent, no bleeps and no dialling tone.

Any idea what's happened or how to put it right please?
I have BT cordless phones like yours and on the side of mine is an amplify button and I have been known to accidentally press it while talking and wondered why the sound disappeared. Maybe that is the reason.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:37 AM

Weird, I think some cordless phones have a re-chargable batteries inside, it might be worn out and not re-charging. I might be wrong...
Try unplugging everything then plugging it back in.
If that doesn't work phone your provider/ supplier thingamybob. It could be a line problem.
I had a strange thing once where I could only phone out if I was online on my laptop!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:38 AM

That's flummoxed me, Mups! You can make and receive calls, right? But no dialling tone. Is there a silencer on the phone, at all? (Yeah alright, daft question!)

Have one of your builders done something that they shouldn't have?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Hi

I had the ringing tone and dialling tone on mine recently, but it cut out.

I replaced the rechargeable batteries and now everything is fine.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:02 AM

Try unplugging the base unit from the voltage supply, waiting a few seconds and plugging it back in again.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:07 AM

I blame the decorator
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:11 AM

Some good suggestions so far folks, thanks.

Jazzi - The builder's boss phoned yesterday while I was out, and left a message for me. I did wonder if the builder heard his boss talking and tried to pick up the phone to cut the message off and talk to him, but he denies touching it.

Tess & Mart - Tried unplugging the thing and plugging it back. No different.

Leia Mine hasn't got an amplify button on the side, but thanks anyway.

Swim - I wondered about the batteries myself, but surely it can't be that if the phone still lights up, the time & date works and I can still make calls - it is just silent.

In the handbook it says how to access 'Settings' and alter ringtones and handset tones, but that hasn't made any difference either.

I reckon that flippin' builder's dropped it! I think I will have to ring the helpline and see if they can suggest something.

Thanks very much for trying everyone.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I blame the decorator
Yes, make sure the voltage supply to the phone is plugged into the phone properly (phone end and adaptor end).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-09-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I blame the decorator

Yes. So do I, Mags.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top