Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 09:10 PM

Re: From the cradle to the grave

Smartphones are the real enemy to freedom and privacy. But who can live without one?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It's not paranoia at all. The amazing thing is that many changes have been voluntarily embraced by the population. I loathe "the internet of things". Why would we want all our movements tracked and conversations monitored? But it's become a part of life, like all the cameras watching and recording our moves.

If anyone watches sci fi there are movies where people have their fingers cut off and used to open doors. Easier to give them your handbag.

I'm just thankful I lived in a time of real freedom even though it's been over now for the last ten years.
We don't want all our movements tracked and conversations monitored, Annie, but it happens anyway . Councils were even given the ok to look at our emails about 10 yrs ago. We can order something online and our address automatically pops up. The IP address on our computer gives our details out, and the same applies to apps. I don't have a fancy phone, just the old Tesco PAYG. It works still , I have no idea if that can be traced but all phones have to be registered now anyway.
There is no way out, no matter what we do.
Even in the airports, our photos are taken as soon as we walk into the airport and followed through to the end on their screens.
I completely agree about the freedom we had. My goodness, we couldn't do half the things now. Even like swimming in Lake Windermere at midnight with no cloths on ! Didn't do anyone any harm, but the young folk have no idea how they are restricted now in comparison.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-09-2017, 10:42 PM

PD I just think it's sad that we don't really think about what we have lost. Our young people have never experienced life without constant surveillance. People in regimes struggled for decades to stop such a big brother society. We feel it's harmless because we live in a "free" society, but all that could change very quickly and all this information could be used to control and profile the population.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 12:17 AM

PD I just think it's sad that we don't really think about what we have lost. Our young people have never experienced life without constant surveillance. People in regimes struggled for decades to stop such a big brother society. We feel it's harmless because we live in a "free" society, but all that could change very quickly and all this information could be used to control and profile the population.
Absolutely. I noticed a huge impact after coming north again from Suffolk.. Working in Suffolk was how the working environment had always been for me, then coming north to a new job in a predominately Labour area, different ideals etc ., back in 1999, my first thoughts about the company I was working for were, this is like working for the old communist regimes. It threw me a lot and upset me but eventually I became conditioned, and accepted because there was no choice, but never saw any good results from it . Cameras , secretly put into the work place at night under cloak and dagger maneuvers . Secret microphones incorporated , but as one employee had been an electrician he spotted them and sussed it out . New employee rules which meant certain employees had no permanent contract, and had to work 3 months and then leave and re-apply for the job. That meant no holiday pay or sick pay. Half an hour lunch, and having to stay on the premises.
I know people complain about the Tories, but these things plus a lot more, were all brought in under Blair's Government and it just felt like our liberties were being eroded one after another. This was all totally foreign to me.
The surveillance was a real encroachment , but we couldn't argue. This is how change comes about. Little by little until no one can do anything to change things back again.
Found out tonight that Councils sell our personal details off the electoral registers, and companies also sell our email addresses on too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-09-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Found out tonight that Councils sell our personal details off the electoral registers, and companies also sell our email addresses on too.
That's absolutely shocking. There is a constant push to use these systems and then your information ends up goodness knows where.

I agree btw about Blair's government. They were pushing for increased surveillance years ago. Whatever their other differences, this is a policy labour and the tories have in common.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 12:53 AM

Smartphones are the real enemy to freedom and privacy. But who can live without one?
They're definitely the friend of the police.

The amount of cons I worked with that were convicted because of their phones was quite low....nowadays they are instrumental in many thousands of successful prosecutions.

As for being tracked I do take precautions, only to limit it as best I can.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-09-2017, 10:00 AM

I guess you can just switch roaming and wireless off. But they say the only way to stop tracking of movement is to take the battery out. Not sure if that's true.

On the other hand I suppose it helps people prove their innocence too.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 10:41 AM

We don't want all our movements tracked and conversations monitored, Annie, but it happens anyway . Councils were even given the ok to look at our emails about 10 yrs ago. We can order something online and our address automatically pops up. The IP address on our computer gives our details out, and the same applies to apps. I don't have a fancy phone, just the old Tesco PAYG. It works still , I have no idea if that can be traced but all phones have to be registered now anyway.
There is no way out, no matter what we do.
Even in the airports, our photos are taken as soon as we walk into the airport and followed through to the end on their screens.
I completely agree about the freedom we had. My goodness, we couldn't do half the things now. Even like swimming in Lake Windermere at midnight with no cloths on ! Didn't do anyone any harm, but the young folk have no idea how they are restricted now in comparison.
Hi

No they were not and they have never had these powers.

They only emails they are allowed to access are those sent by their staff or Politicians and then only when they are using a Council Computer.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

23-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

No they were not and they have never had these powers.

They only emails they are allowed to access are those sent by their staff or Politicians and then only when they are using a Council Computer.

They could also monitor the workplace from their home too. If they weren't in the office, just to check on emails being sent/received and the days activities.

Oh yes, and the spying surveillance I talked about was also covering council employees and another partnership as they worked under the same roof on a special agreement. Shared facilities you might say.

Councils, the taxman and dozens of other public bodies will be able to search the internet and social media activity of everyone in Britain, The Telegraph can disclose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24013295

Lancashire County Council 'secretly accessed emails', says former leader

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2075...one-bills.html

Council snoopers access 900 phone bills

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.
Technology firms will be required to keep records of the websites and apps which people have used and details of when they accessed them for 12 months under new powers unveiled this week.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-punished.html

Revealed: Council workers who snoop on private data are rarely punished

In some cases, council staff were found to have accessed material “for personal interest” - one CCTV operator spied on a colleague's wedding - yet few are being disciplined
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2017, 11:47 AM

They could also monitor the workplace from their home too. If they weren't in the office, just to check on emails being sent/received and the days activities.

Councils, the taxman and dozens of other public bodies will be able to search the internet and social media activity of everyone in Britain, The Telegraph can disclose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-24013295

Lancashire County Council 'secretly accessed emails', says former leader

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2075...one-bills.html

Council snoopers access 900 phone bills

Councils have used laws designed to combat terrorism to access more than 900 people's private phone and email records in the latest example of Britain's growing surveillance state.
Technology firms will be required to keep records of the websites and apps which people have used and details of when they accessed them for 12 months under new powers unveiled this week.
Hi

In relation to Lancashire County Council, the emails were sent by a Council Member using a Council Computer as part of a Investigation into Malpractice in Public Office.

They were legally entitled to access their own emails, not those of private individuals.

Councils can apply for permission to find out who a person has been emailing or phoning.

They are not allowed to see the contents of emails, texts etc.

The are 3 groups of officers who use this after the amendments to RIPA.

Child Protection, Trading Standards and EHO's.

Child Protection is self explanatory, Trading Standards for tracing the supply networks for dangerous goods and EHO's.

EHO's use the powers for matters which are prejudicial or injurious to health and where there is an imminent and ongoing risk.

Authorisations can only be issued by the Judiciary.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top