Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 04:40 PM

Punch and Judy axed over violence fears

Punch and Judy axed over violence fears

A Vale of Glamorgan seaside resort has dropped plans for a Punch and Judy show over fears it trivialises domestic violence. The traditional puppet show was pulled from the Barry Island Beats, Eats and Treats event on 4-5 June. Barry council asked the county council organisers to ditch it, with one town councillor saying it had "inappropriate" elementts.

But Vale of Glamorgan councillor Audrey Preston said it was just "a fun thing". The Conservative member for St Brides Major said she had nothing against the popular seaside attraction. "I can't see that it can possibly be associated with domestic violence, and children have watched it for years," she added. 'Overwhelming support' Punch and Judy has proved controversial for councils in the UK for more than a decade, with some suggesting the show can be misogynistic and out of step with modern times. But a group called The Punch and Judy Fellowship supports the tradition and says "the British public has given Mr Punch overwhelming support".

The town council agreed to give £2,500 to support the festival in Barry, which gained wider fame as the setting for the BBC's Gavin and Stacey. But several councillors spoke out against Punch and Judy and urged the council to think again.

Ian Johnson, a Plaid Cymru councillor, told BBC Wales Barry council had passed a motion opposing domestic violence and both UK and Welsh Governments had agreed legislation. "I was concerned that a traditional Punch and Judy show will go against these aims," he said. "The issue was that it was treading a fine line between entertainment and recognising that some of it was inappropriate. "I don't know what the exact content of the show would have been, but it has elements of hitting people and that is not something that we would want to promote." Vale of Glamorgan council said it did not have a general policy on Punch and Judy.

A spokesman said: "While planning events for the weekend, a host of traditional activities have been considered to ensure the event caters for everyone. The Punch and Judy show that had been considered will not be taking place."

BBC © 2016

2 hours ago

Punch and Judy is believed to be more than 350 years old, with famous diarist Samuel Pepys writing of a London version in the 1660s

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	1012  
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 04:52 PM

Re: Punch and Judy axed over violence fears

We have punch and Judy here in weymouth , on the sands right by the sea . It's always popular and punch is better behaved , often the one who is the victim . The families love it and you can hear punch squawking out the start time when in the town.
Alien
Uk
Alien is male  Alien has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 04:59 PM

That's the way to do it !

I m dreading what they'll do when they hear about muffin the Mule
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 08:22 PM

I'm totally against PC quite often, but over this issue I can see the point of wanting to stop it.
Surely there's a compromise and they can tone it down?
He's a vicious brute, Punch, and the original story is awful, with battering and murder and hanging!
Couldn't Punch put down his truncheon!
Come to think about it, it doesn't put the police in a good light either!!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 08:29 PM

Good grief do they want to ruin everything that is traditional in this country?
It is these so called do gooders that cause more problems and upsets than anyone else.

P&J are part of seaside life, those that don't like it don't have to watch, but don't spoil it for the kids, It has never ever caused any problems
Next it will be seaside rock being banned as kids could get it stuck in the throat.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 08:35 PM

Don't worry!!
There are plenty of places where Punch and Judy shows rule OK.

http://www.punchandjudy.com/seaside.htm
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 11:12 PM

Obviously I am against domestic violence. I see Punch & Judy as an old seaside tradition which has gone on for generations.
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 11:34 PM

I'm surprised those grotesque old puppets haven't been knocked on the head long ago
Even as a kid, I thought they were ugly, horrible & boring - could never see the attraction but whatever floats your boat, I suppose.

I don't buy the PC thought that they promote domestic violence anymore than Flo' hitting Andy Capp over the head with a frying pan.
I reckon kids are able to differentiate between that kind of make believe and reality - if they can't, then maybe it's time to review half the fairy tales we grew up with too.

PS As a veggie, I object to the use of sausages - they should replace them with a Soy Substitute!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2016, 11:36 PM

Well I remembering watching it as a kid, and it didn't make me want to dash about hitting anyone, nor did I ever associate it with domestic violence.
I wouldn't have even know what 'domestic violence' was.

I think sometimes, adults put ideas into kids heads that wouldn't have been there otherwise.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2016, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Well I remembering watching it as a kid, and it didn't make me want to dash about hitting anyone, nor did I ever associate it with domestic violence.
I wouldn't have even know what 'domestic violence' was.

I think sometimes, adults put ideas into kids heads that wouldn't have been there otherwise.
Ahem !

Its daft in my opinion, do we now start re writing all of Grimms fairy tails. They are even making a new version of Watership Down minus the more frightning bits.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top