Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 09:45 AM

choices and inheritance

I've met a number of people in life who have inherited money or property when young which gave them a great start in life , taking away the struggle . obviously this made life much easier , also some inheriting in mid and later life . I have never been fortunate enough and like many had to work for every penny , mostly on minimum wage , therefore struggled . those who have been fortunate enough have their holidays , houses and choices . if you've been lucky enough to inherit you can make choices which many can't . have you been fortunate to inherit and did it make life easier for you .?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 09:50 AM

Re: choices and inheritance

When my parents died, after the care home fees were paid I inherited a couple of thousand pounds, we went on holiday to Malta and that was it!
Luckily I inherited my Dad's strength of character and sense of humour!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Hi

I have never inherited a penny and never will.

It doesn't worry me at all.

My kids have already got most of my money, my needs are small.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 10:23 AM

I worked for 42 years non stop. I wanted to live abroad so had to save and work hard. Luckily as I worked in the public sector my job was always secure, so perhaps gave me the opportunity to do that. I had no inheritence due to circumstances similar to Tess
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 10:52 AM

I and my brother inherited property that we sold, I was still in my 20s and maybe foolish.
I did pay off my mortgage, which at the time I thought was a wise move. But considering what I was paying £20 a month fixed for 30 years, it would have been nothing after say 10 years due to inflation.
I bought a car for OH and my first taxi. I did improvements to the home. I had some holidays abroad, and the rest just vanished on this and that.
But it allowed me to save as I was working and life was easy.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 11:12 AM

We were lucky enough to inherit about six grand a couple of years ago when my aunt died, it was split three ways between myself and my sister and the RSPCA ( six grand each), it helped with a few home improvements, and we managed to save a bit towards paying off our mortgage, even managed a couple of holidays ,don't get me started on my in laws though!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 11:13 AM

I inherited a funeral plan policy off my mum.
Hasn't been of much use or enriched my life so far.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 11:38 AM

I've never inherited anything material from anyone. My family were traditional working class and none of them ever had much more than barely enough to survive. They all lived in council housing or private rented accommodation so none had any property to pass on. What I did inherit was the philosophy that people were more important than things and that caring for people was more important than accumulating wealth - which I suppose was why I went into a relatively low paid "caring" profession rather than a much more lucrative job in private industry or commerce, so my kids won't do any better out of me when I pop my clogs!
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:22 PM

My FIL bought the Council house he lived in , he was a hard worker being on call 24hrs , they then moved and bought a Bungalow .
When he died 3 yrs ago we were in Council rented accomodation, and we inherited the Bungalow ,
We moved in and now live rent free , but we have the up keep of the Bungalow , Which we didnt have with Council rented .
So IF we were in rented now both retired we would have to be claiming for help with the rent , we are in fact saving the goverment money by owning rather than renting .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2016, 12:23 PM

No inheritance here from anyone and it is not a problem.

My needs are small and I have all I need, am happy what more could you want

There was a huge family row when a wealthy unmarried Aunt changed her will at the last moment to leave most of her estate to a young great nephew cutting out her nieces. I couldn't have cared less, some family members still don't speak to each other What a waste of time niggling over something for years.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top