Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Woman discriminated against for accent

A 27 year old friend of my daughters moved to Australia this year to be with her fiancé. She was delighted to find employment as a day care teacher and, until recently, all was well.

Now some parents of the daycare childen have begun to criticize her for not losing her Canadian accent yet. One person told her she was "rude" for not learning to pronounce words as the locals do, and several times she has been reprimanded for using words or phrases that are typically Canadian. Another comment was that her speech was a bad influence on the daycare children.

I've never encountered this type of discrimination. Any thoughts or comments? She's quite taken aback and saddened at this negativity.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 09:00 PM

Re: Woman discriminated against for accent

I have spent some time in Australia. While their I here'd quite a few different accents. Most people I met were very friendly. I suppose it's like most country's. You get some very ignorant people.

In a lot of British schools, their are lots of different languages spoken never mind accents. Most children here speak their own sort of language. Which makes, adult wonder what they are talking about.

Though some people did fined it hard to understand my husbands accent, asked him to talk slowly. But they understood mine. I thought that was real funny.

Are the school happy with your daughters work. I would say that's all that matters as they pay her wages. Tell her to ignore them.
Which part of Australia is she living in. I visited Perth.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 09:02 PM

It's not one of my own daughters, just a friend of theirs. She's living in Melbourne.

I think the school is happy with her, yes, but the parents are complaining to the school and making it an issue.
shaz
Manchester, lancs
shaz is female  shaz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 09:22 PM

Sorry I must have read it wrong.

If these parent are making it an issue, and the school are listening to them. School in my opinion should tell these parents, they are being racist to this young teacher. School should be supporting her. If they are not. Maybe she should look for another school to work in. Where their are friendly people.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

28-12-2011, 10:31 PM

Finding another school might work, especially if she can discuss this during an interview. I don't know why the school doesn't stick up for her - after all, they hired her knowing she was Canadian.

I'm just amazed that anyone would think it's bad for their child to have a teacher who speaks with an accent.
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Hi!
I am shocked and ashamed! That said, Bloody Melbournians!! Nothing surprises me from that part of Australia!!! Most of us are tolerant, accepting and our communities a good mixture of people from all over the World! The parents are to be condemned for their attitude and even more so, the Principal and Staff for being unsupportive. There is an Equal Opportunities Tribunal, The Education Department, The Union if she is a member, sadly, it sounds as though "money talks" i.e. influential snobby intolerant parents who are "banging the drums" here. I grew up (5-13) in a very poor part of Perth and the suburb was filled with post war migrants from Europe, the children all mixed the parents less so because of the language barrier, however, as children we were all made welcome in each others homes. Personally, I love accents from other parts of the World! I must make a confession, I absolutely cringe whenever our PM opens her mouth! That is not the average aussie accent!!!! lol!!! I hope your daughter's friend can remain strong and receive support from within the School, if not from an official body! It is not the norm.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 01:26 AM

That is awful, and it is a form of racism. I would be most upset if people told me to lose my own accent and to learn other words more "suitable" to other people.

I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to accents because more and more of us are losing the accent from our natural habitat and this is why I write my poems and stories in my own dialect, to keep it alive because it is part of who we are and where we come from. Accents and dialects are more prevalent in the UK than any other country in the world because they are so diverse, even from within the same town.

Nobody should be vilified because of an accent because that's just pure snobbery and, if this lass was employed, knowing she was a Canadian, then her accent should not hold her back. That is disgraceful, but she must be true to herself.

Our Ann (Pixie) left Wigan 30 years ago and she has a mixed Wigan/Ontario accent. Over there she sounds English, but over here she sounds Canadian and I think it's a lovely mix.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2011, 02:41 PM

They wouldn't have you teaching over there Mollie, all the kids would be talking and writing Wiganese.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

29-12-2011, 04:13 PM

Thanks Miki's Mum - would it be okay to forward your comments to her?
miki's mum
Perth Western Australia
miki's mum is female  miki's mum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-12-2011, 01:24 AM

Yes, of course! Glad to help!
cheers!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top