Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 05:21 AM

Fings wot you don't often see in England

Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 05:21 AM

Re: Fings wot you don't often see in England

Hard to notice all those lovely critters as I am more enthralled by the excellent condition of those roads, Bruce!

We ain't got them there critters here in America here needer, Bruce. 'Cept those cows, we gots plenty of them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Hard to notice all those lovely critters as I am more enthralled by the excellent condition of those roads, Bruce!

We ain't got them there critters here in America here needer, Bruce. 'Cept those cows, we gots plenty of them.
That's what happens in drought the drovers take them down the long paddock in search of fodder. That mob had one girl Jilleroo leading them along it always amazes me how they don't lose any. There was another mob of cattle with a drover on a motorbike moving them along. They all had put a cattle sign up so they have the right of way in Queensland - or at least if you hit a cow you are responsible.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 07:36 AM

Our ,farmers sometimes move the herds down the country road, you just have to sit there surrounded y coo`s or sheep hoping they dont bash the paintwork.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2018, 08:26 AM

Yes what brilliant roads and not a single other car in sight...bliss ... oh the creatures were lovely too
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-05-2018, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes what brilliant roads and not a single other car in sight...bliss ... oh the creatures were lovely too
To be fair we also have roads like this

I gave up on this one as I was only driving to the dingo fence but as it showed the road was 4WD only after heavy rain. If I had got bogged I could have been fined.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the ride along and the music too!

It has a stark, desolate beauty all its own, though three boggy spots within a couple of miles would cause me to turn around too.

One of my favorite roads in the world is the Denali Highway in Alaska, fully open only certain months of the year. It always feels a little risky, though adventurous, when leaving the improved asphalt to gravel - and the washboard rumbling from the grooved roads begins within the first half mile.

Very enjoyable updates! Have fun and don't get stuck.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

28-05-2018, 07:34 AM

if you want to see more of the Oonadatta Track and be entertained watch a movie called Last Cab to Darwin. As you saw from that road sign I wasn't able to travel it so it is still on my bucket list.

There are certainly worse roads than that one When I travelled round Australia a bloke who had just travelled part of the Gibb River Road told me he had two punctures in the first 500 metres.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top