Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 08:23 PM

So Pleased

Bob is a 'rescue 'dog,been ill treated and quite nervous,He has become more confident since we got him 3 yrs ago,but I was very nervous of his reaction the other evening ,when a man got his little girl to stroke him, would he snap, would he growl ,move away in fear ?but he was good as gold ,stood there patiently while the child stroked him,she was a bit nervous as he is a big dog
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 08:28 PM

Re: So Pleased

Know what it is like when a child wants to stroke a strange dog. We tend to not allow it just incase the kiddie get bitten, the risk is not worth it
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Know what it is like when a child wants to stroke a strange dog. We tend to not allow it just incase the kiddie get bitten, the risk is not worth it
Well said.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 11:36 AM

Deylon, I must admit the fact that you said - "You were very nervous of how he would react" worried me a little.

If I wasn't 100% sure my dog would enjoy being touched by a little one, I probably wouldn't have allowed it. With kids being face height to most dogs, a bite could be nasty.

Luckily all was safe though.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 08:34 PM

I wouldn't have let her stroke him just in case he turned on her.

My neighbour has a Pointer called Gibbs, he is 3 years old now, I remember when they first brought him home, he was really nervous and timid and used to sit in the corner of the room, now he has come out of his shell and goes up to people.

I saw him today and he came straight over to me, jumped up and gave me a good lick, bearing in mind he is about a foot taller then me.

He likes to jump up at my gate, head, shoulders and paws over the top looking for my Cat Coco, as he does like her and she quite likes him.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:25 PM

The man didnt ask permission,my son was standing outside a shop waiting for me when the mansuddenly approached him,I was only nervous because we do not see many children
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
The man didnt ask permission,my son was standing outside a shop waiting for me when the mansuddenly approached him,I was only nervous because we do not see many children

What?? Stupid man (the childs father I mean).

Fancy letting a little one walk up and stroke a strange dog without asking permission.

I'd have been furious with him Deylon. IF you're lovely boy had bitten the child, YOU would have got the blame!

Even I, as an adult, wouldn't fuss a strange dog, let alone allow my kid to.
What a dangerous and irresponsible thing for that man to do.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2018, 10:01 PM

Hi

My pretendies both love dogs, they want one.

They have been been well taught, they do not go to stroke strange dogs.

If the dog comes up to them wagging it's tail and wants a stroke, they ask the owner if it is OK to stroke them.

It works well.

Just a bit of common sense really.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

07-05-2018, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My pretendies both love dogs, they want one.

They have been been well taught, they do not go to stroke strange dogs.

If the dog comes up to them wagging it's tail and wants a stroke, they ask the owner if it is OK to stroke them.

It works well.

Just a bit of common sense really.

Yes, it is Swims.

I doubt many of us would want a total stranger to walk up and start touching us - why assume a dog should feel any different!
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2018, 06:57 AM

I always ask and I let them sniff my hand before I stroke them...is anyone else like me with dogs that are tied up outside shops? They always look so forlorn so I have a little chat to them and assure them their owners will be back soon.....I know crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top