Join for free
Page 50 of 52 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 >
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Re: Jerusalem

***Please stop the bickering and stay on topic.
Thank you
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:03 PM

I'll do my very best to comply Mags. I'm actually enjoying the topic and it is a shame to ruin it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Seeing as we have just been talking about Jordan persecution of homosexuality is certainly not their policy. It's legal there. It's probably the most liberal Islamic country in the Middle East.
Have we ?
Maybe you have .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Christian pilgrims were allowed to visit holy sites in East Jerusalem during the Jordanian annexation. Their numbers were restricted but they were not denied entry. Britain recognised Jordanian annexation of the West Bank. Having the holy sites area of Jerusalem under international control makes sense given the history.
No it doesn't they are perfectly fine as they are with freedom of access to all religions .
The Isrealis are doing a good job .
It would be guaranteed to PO both sides.

As I've said, the Palestinian authorities are moving towards a more peaceful strategy and are trying to unite the various factions to move with them.
What other factions ?
There is only Hamas that matters .

Hamas appear to be warming to the idea but are not on board yet.
Still withholding funding and cutting their electricity will bring a totally new meaning to warming to the idea
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 05:09 PM

Insubstantial rhetoric , whilst an opinion it does not address the real issue underlying the conflict.

Israeli could be claimed to be instilling Peace I suppose .... or you could call it a military occupation. Depends on your point of view and which end of the gun you are at I suppose.

As to water and electricity?
Upto 85% of groundwater in the West Bank is diverted to illegal Israeli settlements or flows into Israel.
In 2016 the water supply to the Palestinians was cut off, including safe drinking water ... due to a faulty pipe according to the Israeli national company who own and control it.
Electricity has been another casualty of the ongoing conflict.

Seriously .. access to such basic human rights should not even come into the equation. People are people, whoever they are.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2018, 05:23 PM

The Palestinian Authority pays the electricity bill for Hamas .
Unless Hamas agrees to its conditions for reunion it says it will take matters further, restricting money for education and healthcare .

Of course this won't worry the Hamas leaders and officials who have electricity 24 hours a day unlike the rest of Gaza who are restricted to a few hours .

So it Palestinians against Palestinians with the PA putting pressure on Hamas .
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

26-05-2018, 06:01 PM

Correct .... as far as it goes.

The PA restricted their payment of electric to 70% of the bill ..... and this is generally seen as a bid to put pressure on Hamas.
The problem turned into a three-way conflab when the IEC (Israeli state owned) refused to cover the shortfall of 30% and reduced the electricity supply, a move given the green light by Netanyahu's Security Council.

Various solutions present themselves.
May 1st this year .... Israel has signed a 15 year deal with the PA to transfer control of electricity to them. This will involved building 4 power stations. Cost to the PA ... $775 million.
In addition to ... a 915-million-shekel debt to the state-owned utility Israel Electric Corp .

The deal does not apply to the Gaza Strip, whose two million Palestinians suffer frequent blackouts due to severe fuel shortages and continued power-sharing disputes between Gaza’s Islamist Hamas rulers and the West Bank-based PA.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...-idUSKBN1I23QP

Whilst it's obviously a good sign that the PA are putting pressure on Hamas .... it seems a shame the Israeli's having the choice of helping the PA and been seen to build bridges with them ... or making a fiscal killing and a poke in the eye, appear to have opted for the latter.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

26-05-2018, 06:02 PM

This might be a good time for me to leave this thread, if only temporarily .... as there does seem to be only two of us involved now.

Good discussion .. rather enjoyed it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-05-2018, 07:06 PM

Israel are the only country in the world that provides water electricity food and medical treatment for its enemies the very people who would like to eradicate and murder its people.
But it shows the humanity of the Jewish state .
I like that.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 07:57 PM

As Homer would oft shout "I'm home honey"???

to clarify: Morticia IS NOT a witch - I have been asking her for years to turn me into a pumpkin and she never has?

but to acquiesce to a supervisors 'request'

I came across this little snippet recently

Head of Hamas political bureau
As of November 2016, reports circulated regarding Haniyeh’s succession of Khaled Meshaal as head leader of Hamas.[8] Meshaal, Haniyeh and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas met in Qatar recently to discuss national reconciliation and the upcoming national elections.[9] This meeting signaled that Haniyeh had been selected over the other two likely candidates, senior Hamas member Moussa Mohammed Abu Marzook and prestigious Hamas leader Mahmoud Zahhar.[10]

Haniyeh left Gaza in September to visit a series of Arab and Muslim states in preparation for his new role, and will officially relocate to Qatari capital of Doha, where Meshaal has been residing.[11] It is expected of the head of Hamas’ politboro to live outside of the Gaza Strip.[8]

I like it ; I like it - lead your people out of famine but do it from a base of luxury - I also remember a nasty rumor about the 'tea towel man' - bless his cotton socks having soaked away millions into a french bank account which his dear widow accessed after his demise? god and they say the memory dims after 60!!

Page 50 of 52 « First < 40 48 49 50 51 52 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top