Join for free
Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:08 AM

Re: Real books vs e books?

I uploaded all my 1000 plus books to Google Play; this means that I can read them on any device; laptop, iPad, phones etc.

Reading them on the 10.5" iPad is best but the 5.8" phone makes a good substitute for when the iPad is too big. I think I had about 50 books downloaded onto my iPhone when I was in hospital although I could browse my entire collection and download anything.

I think services like Audible are a waste of money when it comes to books as you can only download 1 book a month for £9.99 - it should be as many books as you like - as in a streaming service. Not that I could get used to having a book read to me, anyway.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:30 AM

I tried reading a normal paperback in bed recently and it was such a cumbersome process. The book was too heavy; I had to place it face down to keep my place and it was just too big. Plus I had to have a lamp on. With my phone I can adjust the brightness to the minimum, have the text white on black etc.

I don't know how places like Waterstones are still in business.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:45 AM

Pay for ebooks? Never.
I get daily free books from amazon and most days there is something that interests me. You can ‘look inside’ to read the first couple of pages to see if it is readable.
A few weeks ago my son in law gave me a thick heavy paperback. I did read it and also at times in bed. It was so awkward and I had to have a light on. Not so when reading with the paper lite kindle.
Before the kindle I had different devices that I could read ebooks on. I found a site on line that contained many current titles. Also they were free. I also have a few CDs that contain thousands of ebooks that can be downloaded to my kindle.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

21-05-2018, 09:59 AM

Yup, it's safe to say that I have more books than I'll ever read. It's the choice though, like with music.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:48 AM

I love my Kindle, I read so quickly I would need a library to stock my reading material if they were ordinary books.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 11:55 AM

Same here, I still have loads of books, I find it painful getting rid of them, I do hang on to all the classics.
Yolande
London, UK
Yolande is female  Yolande has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 08:09 PM

I couldn't enjoy a book on a device, makes my eyes funny. I still read normal books, from the library or charity hops.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 09:27 PM

I love to go to the library and browse through the books. I know they are not new but most books in librarys these days are kept in good condition or removed,There is so much to choose from
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2018, 09:31 PM

I love second hand book shops

Was at a vintage car show on Sunday and I wandered off to. find a second hand book shop where I whiled away an hour or so chatting to the owner, getting new recommendations

Came away with three new to me books, new to me Authors and once they are read I donate to the charity shop so they get read again
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2018, 06:02 AM

I love the feel of proper books.I was given a Kindle but gave it back after a few days.

Page 7 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top