Join for free
Page 108 of 370 « First < 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:15 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

I do a different kind of exercise Foxy, is that allowed here?

I do Yoga Yoga three times a week, plus another hour's session of gentle exercises for older people. These are mainly to stay supple, keep joints moving, and have a bit of company too.

The way I look at it is, it is no good having big muscles alone.

The Yoga teaches me how to breathe properly, to keep my lungs working.
Relaxation to keep my mind safe.
Stretches to keep muscles and joints working and supple.
And even eye exercises to look after my eyes.

I like being with like minded people too, rather than training alone, so I guess companionship and friendship comes with it too.
If I do want to be alone, I can just clear off across the fields with my dogs for a while.

We are all different though, so what appeals to one, will not appeal to anyone else.
The important thing to me is to do something. It is all too easy to give up.
Keep moving, keep good balance to help avoid falls in later life, look after muscles, joints and brain, and for those who feel the need - enjoy some company too, rather than feeling isolated.

P.S. I have also just bought a foot stepper thingy, to do indoors on cold, wet, days when I would rather stay in.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 02:57 AM

Ruthio, I had no idea you were out of the water; I hope you heal quickly. We've discussed it before, but sometimes the most difficult thing we can do athletically is to do nothing. I am with you in anticipating the warm temps! Let us know when you dive back in or start jumping on the trampoline while hula hooping. If you do the latter, pics please.

Mups, yoga is a sensational form of exercise - one of the best at our ages, and you describe the benefits so well! I went to a hot yoga class last week and I completely get it...and still get it..because I'm still sore several days later.

There are a lot of us who surf here, and we all do some form of yoga poses and stretching before we paddle out because, as you said, it is so beneficial when it comes to flexibility, breathing - and preventing injury. Find a surf camp anywhere in the world, and you'll find yoga classes and retreats. They go hand in hand. Want to try surfing? I'll be glad to get you started.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 04:07 AM

OGF, I went back and read your last three posts, giving them the attention they deserve.

Your observations about high intensity work are of particular interest, and you are ever the beacon of light ahead giving all of us incentive to try new things.

Speedwork has been a challenge for me since I had a meniscus tear* two years ago and found myself uncionsciously shortening my stride, which in turn affected my pace for the worse. With the race coming up, I have been giving it a go again, but I have never thought about the recovery aspect. On days that you are doing speedwork are you shortening your overall distance significantly? I have read some of the research, but do you personally feel like your workout has been as beneficial for you overall?

Congratulations on completing all your goals so far this year, OGF. How you do it with all of the weather challenges that present themselves this time should earn you a Get Out of Jail Free card whenever you need one

Bad,bad pirformis! You never know you have them until they become inflammed...way...down in there. Unfortunately, I have heard that once you inflame them chronically, they sleep but never quite heal. That's definitely true for me. :cry;

So, I'm back out there tomorrow. Long and short, slow and fast....

Good workouts to everyone tomorrow, yoga, pushups (press ups), hula hooping or the hard work of just taking care of the people who depend on you .

*Meniscus tear you ask? I slipped and fell on an algae covered boardwalk going to get the mail. Ever the disater on two feet
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 12:17 PM

Mups.....You don't need permission to visit this thread, everyone is welcomed, if fact, positively encouraged......

Yoga is as good as it gets concerning exercise Mups. It's as good for you spiritually as it is physically. Balance and versatility are required in whatever activity you decide to do. It would probably be the single most beneficial thing I could do, if I could build up the nerve to visit my local school where lots of women regularly participate......

Your motivation to look after yourself is just the kind of thing we need on this thread. To take an interest in trying to keep yourself in good working order is commendable Mups, and it may surprise you to know, that by visiting this thread you help to inspire me to keep up the work. Good on yer..... Don't be a stranger...

Surfermom, Sorry to hear of your unfortunate tumble, it happens to the best of us. Very rarely have I sustained an injury from running, It's the simple things in life that cause the most trouble both physically and mentally (feeling so stupid after tripping over that step or cat) Maddie lays in the most obstructive places.....

Panic! Surfermom, is the reason for my apparent shift to speedwork. I have been compiling a graph recently of my average speed over the years (possible from the awesome amount of records I've kept over the years) and It's not good....
So in a last attempt to try and remove the odd decimal place off my times I've added an extra day's running to my weekly schedule. No rules Surfermom, just go out and run three miles like your being chased by a Tiger. And do you know what? It's really invigorating, and because it's only three miles it doesn't leave you drained for the rest of the day....

Early days yet, but I'll keep you posted.....

You've hit the nail on the head Surfermom, I've struggled with a niggling Piriformis for as long as I can remember. It just lays in wait for me to do something stupid and then puts me on the injured bench for a week or two. Fortunately, it doesn't happen very often, so if that's the worst injury I will have to sustain then I'll take it......I probably needed the rest anyway.
By the way, I will publish the speed graph on the forum when it's finished so we can have a good laugh together, there's also a mileage graph too.....Happy days.....
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 05:31 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Surfermom and Foxy, and Mups I so agree with what you say about Yoga.
Did Yoga for years but these days try to get to my weekly Pilates class, that's until life gets in the way!

But even when I can't do Exercise with a Capital E there's always a daily (well ok not every day!) stretching routine I've done for myself, it even involves high kicks!

I do love this thread, it's one of the more friendly threads these days, apart from Hangman of course!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 05:59 PM

Swimfeeders, Mups, Ruthio - all entering or returning to this thread with tales of their own exercise. This is fantastic to see!
Look folks, it doesn't matter how little or how much exercise you do per day or per week, it all adds up to a healthier lifestyle than not partaking in any at all. Well done and please keep it up. Also, keep posting in here as the more the merrier!

- - - - - - - - - -

As for myself, yes I'll be staying put. Most issues resolved and I've just got too much to lose - this thread helps me immensely with my attitude and motivation to train, plus the music thread I'm doing needs to be completed and I enjoy doing that too. So I'll be hanging around a while longer. Thanks for your support by the way.

Not much to report exercise-wise since Saturday when I posted that mammoth routine. I did a little quick reps work yesterday, but with issues going on here I didn't get around to posting it and I threw my notes away!

The other thing I'm doing now is taking a better look at my diet, specifically what I eat (and drink) at work during the night. I'm not overweight (in a 'fat' sense anyway, though the NHS doesn't understand muscle density!), but I do get a bit of belly flab despite training hard with ab work and being on my feet wight hours a night.

So out goes chocolate and crisps ('Chips' to you, Surfermom! ). No more fizzy drinks and no sugar in coffee anymore, just a sweetener instead.
My tea break snacks consist of wraps instead of bread too, with a filling of either tuna or chicken and some lettuce and a dash of mayo. All ready meals are out too as they contain either/both too much salt and sugar.
I take a banana or a small packet of mixed fruit (you know the 50p ones from Asda), an energy bar and a Capri-Sun type drink.
I take a protein shake each time I finish a workout.
My main meal at home is now at around 4.30pm which gives it enough time to settle before I go for my pre-work sleep at 6pm.

So, yes I'm making some goals for the summer. I'll be overhauling my exercise routine this week too so I'll keep you all posted.

Take care for now

Oh by the way, my proper avatar is back. I didn't really like being represented by a giant monolith of two big eyeballs in a field!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2018, 11:04 PM

Thank you for the warm welcome folks, kind words are always appreciated.

I believe that as we get older, especially for those living alone, safety is important. So is company, and interacting.

I don't want to be one of those poor people who start start losing their balance and having falls, or can't have lace up any more because they are unable to reach the laces.

I am certainly not strong and muscly, but I like to think I am very flexible still.
A podiatrist this afternoon asked me to stand barefoot up on my toes as high as I could, without holding on for support.
Sounds simple enough, but some people can't do that, because they lose their balance.

I had to have an MRI scan last year. When they pulled me back out the tunnel, she congratulated me and said I had not moved a single muscle.
Again, yoga had taught me to relax, meditate, and switch off, so I didn't panic.

I don't want to have to ask someone to cut my toe nails because I can't reach anymore.

I can't do some things I used to do, but at least I can make an effort to keep going without help for as long as possible.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2018, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thank you for the warm welcome folks, kind words are always appreciated.

I believe that as we get older, especially for those living alone, safety is important. So is company, and interacting.

I don't want to be one of those poor people who start start losing their balance and having falls, or can't have lace up any more because they are unable to reach the laces.

I am certainly not strong and muscly, but I like to think I am very flexible still.
A podiatrist this afternoon asked me to stand barefoot up on my toes as high as I could, without holding on for support.
Sounds simple enough, but some people can't do that, because they lose their balance.

I had to have an MRI scan last year. When they pulled me back out the tunnel, she congratulated me and said I had not moved a single muscle.
Again, yoga had taught me to relax, meditate, and switch off, so I didn't panic.

I don't want to have to ask someone to cut my toe nails because I can't reach anymore.

I can't do some things I used to do, but at least I can make an effort to keep going without help for as long as possible.
With exercise we use the word "positivity", Mups, and it's definitely clear that you're not a quitter. You will not give in to anything you can't make yourself do and that is excellent. It means you have a far better chance of keeping yourself relatively fit and healthy into post-middle age (nicely put eh?).

A great, painless exercise to do when you get out of bed in the morning is stand facing a wall with your toes touching the skirting board and reach up with your fingertips as far as you possibly can and hold it there for a few seconds. Then move your hands down but make sure you do this slowly in case you pull a muscle. Repeat this about five times.
It should make you feel slightly more mobile as you continue waking up.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-02-2018, 06:09 AM

Very good thoughts on safety, flexibility, and mobility.

Ruthio, you seem to put a good amount of effort in your flexibility. With the stretching, Pilates, and yoga, how would your compare your flexibility now to a few decades ago? A glaring gap in my fitness is flexibility work so I am most interested adding that element to my routine.

Mups you are so right to be looking down the road. I have read several articles that say that flexibility and mobility are strong predictors of longevity.

Most of you have probably seen this article, and the year it came out, my entire extended family humorously and foolishly tried the standing activity described in it. Since then, we have all worked on trying to raise our score. Please, no one try this without having someone nearby to help you in case you get wobbly or lose your balance, but it is interesting:

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/nov/05-sit-down

One simple habit I have incorporated since reading this article is to sit down into and stand up from a chair without using my hands for momentum.

No high kicks for me tonight (I will save that for Ruthio the Rockette ) but a little abdominal work and stretching I can do....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

06-02-2018, 06:41 AM

Floydy, this is a hideous time of year for eating. The only way I can eat well is to keep it out of the house. I have the willpower of four-year-old in a candy store.

Since you like bananas, if you want a really delicious and healthy treat that satisfies a sweet tooth, grind walnuts or almonds in a coffee bean grinder if you have one, or put them in a plastic bag and pound them into fine pieces. Next slice the banana into 2-3 inch slices, roll them in the ground nuts, and freeze them in rows in a plastic container. After an hour, you can reach in and pop one in your mouth whenever you have a sugar craving.

More to discuss about Body Mass Index...but that has to wait until tomorrow...stretching and all...

OGF, I had forgotten that you had added a whole new day for speedwork. Because I am running most days, I am building it into the end of the run. I'll have to borrow your tiger when you are done with him.

Oh, and I'd love to see your data. You show me yours...

Page 108 of 370 « First < 8 58 98 106 107 108 109 110 118 158 208 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top