Join for free
Page 148 of 370 « First < 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 198 248 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2018, 10:48 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Thanks for asking Floydy, I had a choice earlier, either write up this morning's run, or go out and cut the lawns while they were dry....They look lovely....

I did manage to get out at the crack of dawn and see how I could manage a steady jog around my six mile road course. Although slow, it went better than expected, and I survived without the need to resort to Ibuprofen.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 02:15 AM

The food and company are gone, the dishes are back in the cupboard and I put five miles behind me today. Do you hear that, OGF? A paltry FIVE....which means you ran farther than me, leaving me in the dust.

As was the last weekend before tourist season starts, all of the locals were out in force today, which meant I had to run like an owl with my head swiveling every which direction. The one thing I know about running on public roads is that in a battle between a ton of metal and me, I wouldn't fare so well. Add that to the fact that a lot of people are drinking, and the zen type of running that I love is out the window and constant vigilance is the name of the game. Most drivers are considerate and usually wave and give me a wide berth, but it just takes one....

So, at a pace that would not qualify me for the Olympics, I shaved what was supposed to be a good long run for a moderate five. I suppose I will have to wait another day to burn off the calories from last night.

The get together was a grand success, and the retiree is now officially retired, full of a pasta, salad, sourdough bread and a slice of chocolate meringue pie with half sent home - mostly so I wouldn't eat it . I have to say that after being out of the circuit so long, it was really fabulous to catch up and spend time with my friends who thought I was either dead or had gone into the witness protection program.

I'm just still in a funk about how good you all are about recording your exercise and I have no idea what I did a year, week, or month ago... I feel like a slacker who has nothing to show for all those workouts.

Maybe I could just go back and fudge it...draw up a spreadsheet, throw in a few injuries...but make the paces and distances stellar .

Ok, never mind. I'll behave.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Five miles is not poultry Surfermom.......I think us runners sometimes get complacent about the distances we run, and it's only when we experience a layoff through injury, or converse with a sedentary friend do we realise how far are the distances that we take for granted...
As for 'the dust' I suspect that had we run the six miles together yesterday, you would have arrived home, showered, washed and dried your hair and enjoyed a cup of coffee, in the time it took me to wobble round the 10k route.......And I would suggest that should I ever have the privilege of accompanying you on such a run, you would be well advised to bring with you a good book to read, to pass the time while waiting for me at the finish...

You made me laugh with the bit about being 'dead or attending a witness protection program' ....Tis surprising how some friends we meet throughout our lives and assume will be part of our lives forever, seem to sink into the quicksands of time and disappear, never to be seen again. Or an unlikely meeting in a supermarket years later and you can't for the life of you remember their name......Face looks familiar though. And it's even worse when they remember your name.....

Anyway, back to business....
Although my piriformis ached and siffened up after my six mile outing yesterday, I don't think it was any worse than if I hadn't run......Lifting, bending and twisting while stripping out the kitchen seems to aggravate it more than running...or am I just in denial?..

It aches quite a bit when rising in the mornings, but seems to wear off once I get moving.
Anyway, it didn't stop me from going out on an interesting three mile walk that I devised last Friday. Armed with my trusty GPS I walked the mile down the deserted muddy lane at the end of our road, and with little rain recently it had dried out a treat, that meant, no need to clean my shoes afterwards.... Then it was down a good path alongside a planted field (goodness knows what's growing in there) and into a wood of silver birch....

I never feel as far away from the human race as I do when walking (or running) through a nice thick wood. Bluebells sprouted up through the remains of last Autumn's leaves, and Hawthorne bushes at the perimeter of the wood were sporting fresh vivid green jackets, and in the shady reaches under the trees, Ferns were shaking off the soil and reaching for the limited daylight...

By the time I exited the wood I had covered two miles. I have strayed into popular dog walking territory now and had to cast out one or two good mornings to smiling walkers with happy hounds, but it was early and they were few and far between. Although the weather was fine and little possibility of rain, the wind was cruel, not fierce, but freezing cold as it embraced my bare legs and face making the ten degrees C seem much colder.

I was back on the lane now, and with not a soul in sight, once again alone with my thoughts. I strode out at a brisk pace with just a hint of discomfort from my annoying piriformis, and wishing I had worn a hat.......But I've enjoyed this oasis of freedom and catch up with mother nature so much, I shall try to include this walk on all of my non-running days....Perhaps it will help to reduce the size of my expanding girth....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 04:28 AM

You are too humble, OGF. At my age, you know full well that would have been a blur going past me, and I am pretty sure that even this week I would be reading this as you zoomed by:

Click image for larger version

Name:	If you.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5840

Ah, well some days are better than others, and while it was a meager five yesterday (and yes, I could be guilty as charge of complacency), I pushed this morning's distance to a solid 10K. With cloudless Prussian blue skies, I made a beeline for the forest trails too, but they could not possibly be as lovely as the ones you describe. You have a keen eye and a gift for describing the best of what is out there, OGF.

In this ecosystem of sage and moss, pine trees and river oaks, there is a beauty that is both stark and green at the same time. This morning the birds and butterflies were singing or flitting their way around me like I was running in a Disney movie. No better company for an otherwise solitary run.

Few people were out in this continued calm before the summer storm of tourism, so in addition to losing myself in my thoughts, I dedicated part of my time to improve a few bad habits, like opening up my stride, keeping my back in form, and thinking about my over-pronation. Once the temperatures start hitting 31-32 C, I can really get sloppy, so I am trying to re-establish good form before I am in full survival mode.

While I ran into no dogs today, there were plenty of cyclists who passed me at regular intervals. Waves, nods, and smiles exchanged, they were good enough so as not to be a distraction. I like it that they are out there; camaraderie in sports can blur the lines between our sports. Whether walking, swimming, cycling, or getting up and down from a chair as fast as one can, I like just about anyone who is willing to get out there and try.

Temperature today: 22 C. Winds from the east at 9 MPH. Perfect conditions!

You all really need to collaborate to drag those isles down a few degrees of latitude. Not only will your weather improve, you will have the added bonus of being a few hundred miles farther away from France. .

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

01-05-2018, 11:00 AM

A good read Surfermom, as usual....
I'll just take time from my busy schedule to report on Foxes story so far:-----
May has arrived and made quite an impression on me this morning. Clear blue skies and not a breath of wind...Well alright, it was below ten degrees C and stepping outside into the crisp (cold) morning air did take my breath away somewhat.....

Five miles had been chiselled into the stone for this mornings outing, so five miles it was.
I would not be truthful if I didn't mention the very heavy and tired legs and the ache in my piriformis that just won't go away, but I survived without incident, and the bright sunny morning made it all worthwhile. And strangely enough, once I had left the village, I didn't encounter a soul all the way round...

Several boxes of broken ceramic wall tiles to take to the dumpit site now as the kitchen job proceeds, but you might be glad to hear that I've made an appointment for Thursday to see Kevin the physio........If I think that I've endured some pain, it will be nothing compared to the pain dispensed by Kevin's probing fingers......
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

01-05-2018, 02:22 PM

Today's poetry, courtesy of Surfermom:

Thank heaven,
For Kevin.

All rights reserved, 2018©

(Off to run. )
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2018, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
A good read Surfermom, as usual....
I'll just take time from my busy schedule to report on Foxes story so far:-----

Five miles had been chiselled into the stone for this mornings outing, so five miles it was.
I would not be truthful if I didn't mention the very heavy and tired legs and the ache in my piriformis that just won't go away,
but I survived without incident, and the bright sunny morning made it all worthwhile. And strangely enough, once I had left the village, I didn't encounter a soul all the way round...

Several boxes of broken ceramic wall tiles to take to the dumpit site now as the kitchen job proceeds, but you might be glad to hear that I've made an appointment for Thursday to see Kevin the physio........If I think that I've endured some pain, it will be nothing compared to the pain dispensed by Kevin's probing fingers......

So you've still got your tender bum as well Foxy - same here. Though mine is better than it was, it is still lurking in the background and it doesn't take much to start it trying again. It's been months now hasn't it.
I never dreamed it would take so long to get better.

I think some of mine is compounded by this bulging disc at the bottom of my spine, because that radiates too, and the picture gets blurred then.

I hope you get on well at the physio's Thursday. I shall keep a look out for your update.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2018, 03:40 AM

I'm still here folks, watching and looking in at what's going on in Exerciseville.
As you say though, Bob, it's probably best to carry on doing what you can, aches and pains notwithstanding. It's like having a bad back, it's sod's law that if you don't exercise an injury and rest too much it can make things even worse. Best to grin and bear it at all possible. Same with you, Mups.
Do what you can but make sure your posture is correctly adhered to, that will help a lot.

Surfermom...who's Kevin?

I haven't trained since my exhausting weekend of three sessions on the trot so I'm up to date. Been very busy at work lifting heavy cartons back and forth so there's plenty of muscle work going on there.
My normal Wednesday session will be done Thursday now as I'm meeting my sister for a coffee , then a big session on Friday.

Take care folks
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

02-05-2018, 04:13 AM

Well, it only took me twelve hours to check in after writing my first poetry of the year and my morning run, but I sure am happy to hear the news that OGF is going to get the perspective of a professional. Since this is a very common problem among older athletes, I will be eager to hear what Kevin has to say.

While on my five and a half mile run today, I noticed that my glutes and piriformis were tight (sympathy pains, perhaps?), so I tried to relax them while I ran. While it isn't a panacea, it might be worth trying, Piriformis People.

With all that lifting and moving, OGF, you might not have relief, but you will no doubt cut a find figure for the wedding. If I ever have to climb Mt. Everest, cross the Nefud desert (think Lawrence of Arabia ), or otherwise go to war, I am taking you with me ! When you set a goal, you set it. Very admirable!

Floydy, after an awesome weekend, I think you can afford a coffee break...but what is with the sad face? I hope it's about the delay and not your sibling .

On a final note, my metabolism has gone on vacation (holiday), but I will save that as a topic for another day.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2018, 04:17 AM

Oh no! It's because I'm on my mobile doing this at work. My chubby fingers....My sister isn't all that bad.

Page 148 of 370 « First < 48 98 138 146 147 148 149 150 158 198 248 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top