Join for free
Page 58 of 370 « First < 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 10:34 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Exceedingly hot weather is a problem for me, it saps my energy so getting there and back, a car drive then a walk to the pool, isn't on.
I stayed indoors in the cool, but ordinary weather's ok!
David Schutz
New Member!
Santa Cruz, CA
David Schutz is male 

23-06-2017, 07:12 PM

I do a lot of different things, because I enjoy variety and also because of the different benefits. My wife and I go for walks along the beach 2-3 times per week. It's a 6 mile loop. We also go for hikes in the mountains near our home, and again the walk is about 6 miles, but due to the hills, our fitness trackers say we climb 85 flights of stairs during those walks.

We also run sprints, to add High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to our workouts. We do these at a path that runs along the beach.

We do HIIT pretty much the same way every time:
- Walking Warm Up: 5 minutes walking
- Running Warm Up: Set interval timer for 5 sets of 30 seconds casual running followed by 90 seconds of walking. The goal here is to get your legs used to the runs, so it’s not about “running” as much as it is about making sure your completely warmed up. I recommend the first run is slow, then steadily add speed, but in these sets are NOT about flat out running.
- HIIT: Set interval timer for 10 sets 30 seconds of flat out running followed by - 90 seconds of walking.
- Cool Down: minimum of 5 minutes of walking.
- Total Time: 40 minutes

I'm also a big fan of resistance training. I vary that at the gym, but the usual program begins with getting on a rowing machine for 10 or so minutes to warm up, followed by:
2 sets squats, with a weight I can't do more than 15 times
2 sets dead lifts, with a weight I can't do more than 15 times
3 sets bench press, first with a weight I can't do more than 20 times, then 2 sets with a weight I can't do more than 8-9 times.
3 sets inverted rows
3 sets pullups to failure
2 sets military press with a weight I can't do more than 15 times
2 sets curls
3 sets bent over rows

Why do I do all this?

The research all points to the importance of both aerobic fitness, which is directly linked to neurogenesis, or new brain cell production, and resistance training.

Aerobic and resistance training provide complimentary, not overlapping benefits: resistance training improves higher-level brain functioning such as effective multi-tasking, learning ability, decision-making, attention span and conflict resolution, while aerobic exercise improves memory.

What’s the takeaway? Exercise diversity is best. In terms of promoting comprehensive physical ability, functional fitness, not muscle building, should be the focus. Diversify to include aerobic activities and resistance training. HIIT is fantastic, and should be incorporated to assist with weight management.

My dad's 93, and while he can remember what he did in WWll, he rarely has any idea what day of the week it is. I mix it up, hoping to retain my cognitive function if I'm lucky enough to make it into my 90's.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2017, 07:32 PM

David Schutz
I see in your "about me" you are advertising your own website, have you cleared it with AZZ first as it could well be against forum rules as advertising for self financial gain
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 09:38 AM

This is an interesting gadget I just came across ...

Fingertip Pulse Oximeter

Regular price £42.99 Now £14.99

Accurate readings
Small compact design
Quickly read pulse rate
Indirectly measures the oxygen saturation in your blood
Reads changes in blood volume in the skin
Produces a photoplethysmograph
Displays heart rate
1.1" Inch Colour OLED Display – Resolution: 96*64
Requires 2x AAA Batteries (not included)

https://keeto.co.uk/collections/hot-...pulse-oximeter

As I suffer from tiredness at times if I overdo it this gadget might help pinpoint the reasons for it. Also I intend to race at some point in the future (when slim again) so this could help make sure I'm fully charged up.

I carried out 6 runs in 5 days which left my legs drained. I then took 2 days off and on the 3rd (yesterday) the tiredness had left my legs and they felt pumped up. I ran last night and felt really strong. Would be handy to know the reason why. Could well be something to do with the blood.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Brilliant, thanks for that Mark, it sounds just what I need so I've just ordered one. Following two Heart Attacks I need to be careful, so monitoring my vitals seems the sensible thing to do. Thanks again.....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Brilliant, thanks for that Mark, it sounds just what I need so I've just ordered one. Following two Heart Attacks I need to be careful, so monitoring my vitals seems the sensible thing to do. Thanks again.....
I have found some on Amazon and apparently they rate them highly. Seem very accurate. The price is really low too. I think I will fork out for one too.

Bought one myself .
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2017, 10:54 PM

Managed 30 lengths today, pleased about that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2017, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Managed 30 lengths today, pleased about that.
Well done Ruthio.....You should change your avatar to 'Mermaid'.....
Project Brenda
United Kingdom
Project Brenda is female 

29-06-2017, 08:54 PM

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays I look after my one-year-old Grandson, as well as chasing him around the house all day I take him out for a walk twice a day. Tuesdays and Thursdays, I spend at least half an hour with Joe Wicks, Saturdays and Sundays my husband and I try to walk at least 5 miles.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

29-06-2017, 09:08 PM

Brenda there's nothing more taxing physically than small children!!
They keep you young!

Page 58 of 370 « First < 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top