Join for free
Page 11 of 48 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 10:05 AM

Re: France is right to ban the Burkini

I can't speak for France, I think what they are doing is a knee jerk reaction to recent events and who can blame them for wanting to react even if some see it as unfair.

For 15 years I lived and worked with large numbers of Muslim girls who came here to study and I have always championed the ability of women to wear whatever clothing they choose as do I .

However, if I was a Muslim woman born in this country or the parents of these girls I would be protesting at the rise of the Death Cult IS which had hijacked my religion and was at war with my country by wearing western dress (which can still be modest) and burning my Muslim attire.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Normally I would agree however for me the difference is we are telling a woman to take clothing off, it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth to think anyone can be forced to remove clothes. Where will it end, burkinis today, long skirts, long sleeved garments next ? We really have to think what we are starting here.
Unfortunately national security, like it or not, is of far more importance than someone´s dignity, especially in this day and age.

If, for whatever reason, wearing long skirts was banned in certain places, rightly or wrongly, go to that certain place wearing a long skirt, even though you know they are banned, who do you blame if you get fined, arrested, whatever? (hypothetical by the way, I´m not suggesting long skirts are going to be banned). As they say, ignorance of the law, rules and regulations are no excuse, neither should it be one law for some and a different one for others.
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 11:13 AM

This ban is playing into the hands of the extremists by playing their game. Freedom means being allowed to wear what you want without interference from the state, so long as it causes no offence or danger to others. Personally, I find burkhas offensive and would refuse to speak to anyone who's face was covered for other than health reasons. However, making a woman undress in public when her safety and wellbeing depends on her being covered is as oppressive and cruel as the society that constrains her to keep herself covered.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 11:19 AM

**Post deleted, please do not discuss what may or may not have happened to members on another site.
Thank you.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
This ban is playing into the hands of the extremists by playing their game. F reedom means being allowed to wear what you want without interference from the state, so long as it causes no offence or danger to others. Personally, I find burkhas offensive and would refuse to speak to anyone who's face was covered for other than health reasons. However, making a woman undress in public when her safety and wellbeing depends on her being covered is as oppressive and cruel as the society that constrains her to keep herself covered.
Well said

I've always said that what we need on here is a lovely articulate Muslim woman who can chat about things from her point of view.

This morning I went into my son's room and he'd left his tele on ( no change there) and woo hoo!! there was such a gorgeous woman in a bright fuchsia pink head covering, and there was some bloke I recognised can't remember his name, no bullying, no unpleasantness, no attempting to make the other person look or feel silly or uncomfortable as we so often see on here, above all no point scoring pettiness or wanting to have the last word, just discussing this event and exchanging views.

I'll try to find the link, it's worth a watch...

Edited: apparently it was on ITV This Morning which is still running into 12.30 so will try to post it later. Unless some clever clogs can do so.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 11:34 AM

Nobody on an open forum should be denied the right to voice their opinion unless it is threatening, vulgar or about another forum.
Attack the post, not the poster. Should be the number one rule of forum life.
Morty, Muddy, MKJ, Rhian and JBR among others are the main reason why I visit the discussion section of this forum. I want to hear other people's opinions to see how they stand up to my own. Sometimes I hear things that make me cringe but do I put the writer on ignore? certainly not.

In order to understand a discussion one must take account of both sides of the argument, only then can you hope to make a decision on which side you stand.
Morty and Mark in particular seem to have grasped the real reason why the French have acted in the way they have and Meg sums up the situation perfectly (but seems to have been ignored due to the constant bickering between posters) that even the most mentally challenged can understand.

The hurt that France has endured over the last few years has been caused by so called supporters of Islam, so it is no surprise that this is where France's anger is directed.
It's nothing to do with women covering up on a beach. It wasn't any other religion that was responsible for gunning down innocent people attending a concert, or driving a truck down a busy street, it was supporters of Islam, so justice has to be seen to be done in the only way the authorities know how, by setting examples.

The cause of the downfall of society as we know it will be the result of the freedoms that we have held so valuable over the years being used against us. The freedoms that allow us to write whatever we like (within reason) on forums like this. It's time to wake up and smell the coffee! The meek will not inherit the earth, they will be controlled by the rich and obsessive.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Well said

I've always said that what we need on here is a lovely articulate Muslim woman who can chat about things from her point of view.

This morning I went into my son's room and he'd left his tele on ( no change there) and woo hoo!! there was such a gorgeous woman in a bright fuchsia pink head covering, and there was some bloke I recognised can't remember his name, no bullying, no unpleasantness, no attempting to make the other person look or feel silly or uncomfortable as we so often see on here, above all no point scoring pettiness or wanting to have the last word, just discussing this event and exchanging views.

I'll try to find the link, it's worth a watch...

Edited: apparently it was on ITV This Morning which is still running into 12.30 so will try to post it later. Unless some clever clogs can do so.
Ruthio I have tried to get a few ladies to join, in fairness I have to show them the forum before they do and there are a couple of reason they won't, the way anyone who dares speak up for them is one and some of the smuttier posts is another. I can see their points but I am not sure we can do much to change it, the first point not the second as I pointed out its rarely on threads they would be interested in so they can ignore the smut.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Don't goad me
I have restrained from retaliating to so many of your insults
I didn't want to lower myself to your level

In private, I have had so many messages of support
That makes me think that people mostly disagree with you and your childish undermining tactics, but are scared to say so on a public forum in fear of your bullying behaviour

Please do not assume I don't know about things
Do not underestimate my knowledge
Based on your preconceptions of me or whatever it is

But if you continue to insult me
I will respond
You have just responded.

I'll only say this once on the public forum Rhian ...
I'm afraid you've just lowered yourself to the lowest level there is. A limbo dancer would be impressed at how low you've set the bar and still slithered under it.

You've conducted your personal gripe in public, not in private. It's the equivalent of a fish wife shouting in the street, but never mind ... you clearly felt you needed to get it of your chest.

What would you like me to say in return?
In private, I too have had so many messages of support that makes me think people mostly disagree with you and your fluffy headed, vacuous cranium views that exhibit a poor grasp on reality but are scared to say so in case you sulk or go all petulant.

That didn't feel very nice did it.
Of course, like your accusation regarding messages about me you'll never know whether it's true .. or like I'm thinking about you , that I'm just trying to be bitchy.

Feel free to respond, though you already have ... but next time send us a message. It is more courteous to other members and whilst we're at it.. please forward their messages to me too. Safety is numbers is always more appealing isn't it.

For the record .. I questioned your viewpoint. I did not insult your intellect or knowledge.
Your personal post is the one which will spark an exchange of insults.

Thank you.

Morti
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia
What would you like me to say in return?
In private, I too have had so many messages of support that makes me think people mostly disagree with you and your fluffy headed, vacuous cranium views that exhibit a poor grasp on reality but are scared to say so in case you sulk or go all petulant.
Morti you demean yourself with this.
Why not say it in a PM and post that you have done so. This way you merely appear to crave attention.

This is not worthy of you.

Jeeze, I need a break!!

Maybe we all do.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

26-08-2016, 12:26 PM

**Can we please get back to discussing the topic rather than other members and sites.
Thank you

Page 11 of 48 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top