Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 11:41 AM

Car Insurance Increase.

Hi

Bad news I am afraid.

Big increase in car insurance costs., far and away above inflation.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39558258

Not sure what, if anything, can be done about this.

I quite like the system they have in other Countries, where it is the car that is insured for all drivers rather than just one driver.

A one off payment incorporated with Road Tax.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 11:45 AM

Re: Car Insurance Increase.

Down sizing from crv to jazz they'd pretty much have to treble of more any payments to affect me but it's not fair on others at all. IMO there should be huge fines for any uninsured untaxed drivers, too many we who pay up are paying for.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2017, 12:15 PM

Perhaps these increases will result in more people not bothering with insurance. It is, already, a not uncommon thing from what I hear.

And, of course, those who fail to pay for insurance seem to receive little punishment and, most importantly, we who do pay our legal dues actually subsidise non-payers as part of our premiums.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2017, 12:27 AM

Funny thing but I couldn't think what the date was so I put in the first of the following month on a comparison website with regard to renewing my insurance. It worked out to be nearly £150 cheaper! Double and triple checked - nope not wrong at all. When I checked the actual date it was only 3 days before the first of the month. I eventually took the insurance out with Tescos and on their website the same results. Obviously I waited a few days and saved myself a lot of money. Not sure what the moral of this is but another guy said he takes out loads of quotes and saves them all as the cost fluctuates daily, eventually picking the cheapest. Not exactly on topic but could help people save a few bob.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2017, 07:40 PM

Sue renewed her car insurance yesterday and increased by about £30 but so has the tax so not much increase by the insurance company
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 09:28 AM

Not surprised that Car Insurance Companies are putting prices up.

I have experienced, this week, the way the repair system works.

1) I bump the side of another vehicle in a car park. Result is a one inch diameter scrape, on my front wing, and a scratch line along the side of the other vehicle.

2) I suggest, to the other driver, that we take both cars to our main dealers and I pay to have the paint fixed.

3) He declines saying that he wants his car returned to the Pristine condition he had before.

4) I hand over to my insurance company & he does same to his claim .

Now the fun begins -

5) I am offered a hire car for the duration of my fix.(I decline)
He is offered the same by his company.

6) A low loader picks up my car to take to a repairer 20 miles away.

7) Another low loader picks up his car & takes it elsewhere.

8) Both cars away for over a week.

9) Low loaders bring them back.

10) I pay the £350.00 excess for the claim.

In the end, a hundred pound fix has escalated into a thousand, or two!

My £350 would have covered all of the repairs had we taken the cars to the main dealers direct!

Verdict?

Rip Off!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Its the result of the UK following in America's footsteps and becoming a suing society.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Not surprised that Car Insurance Companies are putting prices up.

I have experienced, this week, the way the repair system works.

1) I bump the side of another vehicle in a car park. Result is a one inch diameter scrape, on my front wing, and a scratch line along the side of the other vehicle.

2) I suggest, to the other driver, that we take both cars to our main dealers and I pay to have the paint fixed.

3) He declines saying that he wants his car returned to the Pristine condition he had before.

4) I hand over to my insurance company & he does same to his claim .

Now the fun begins -

5) I am offered a hire car for the duration of my fix.(I decline)
He is offered the same by his company.

6) A low loader picks up my car to take to a repairer 20 miles away.

7) Another low loader picks up his car & takes it elsewhere.

8) Both cars away for over a week.

9) Low loaders bring them back.

10) I pay the £350.00 excess for the claim.

In the end, a hundred pound fix has escalated into a thousand, or two!

My £350 would have covered all of the repairs had we taken the cars to the main dealers direct!

Verdict?

Rip Off!
Well said. I wonder whether, if the other party had been responsible for the damage, he'd have insisted on going down the insurance route!

Actually, as I understand it, there is small print in all policies that the owner must inform the insurers of all accidents, whether they make a claim or not. Not that I would!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Well said. I wonder whether, if the other party had been responsible for the damage, he'd have insisted on going down the insurance route!

Actually, as I understand it, there is small print in all policies that the owner must inform the insurers of all accidents, whether they make a claim or not. Not that I would!
Yes.....the wording is "have you had any accidents or claims in the last 5 years.

This mean at fault or not.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2017, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Yes.....the wording is "have you had any accidents or claims in the last 5 years.

This mean at fault or not.
Interesting as the Insurers pointed out that we have a "No Claims" bonus NOT a "No Blames" Bonus!

Sadly, it may cost the other guy a few quid in the long term.

Also, his car is on an 05 plate. That might be getting on a bit for insurance purposes.
i.e. maybe they'll just scrap it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top