Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 09:45 AM

Re: Car Insurance Increase.

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
I quite like the system they have in other Countries, where it is the car that is insured for all drivers rather than just one driver.

A one off payment incorporated with Road Tax.
In Australia you insure the car not the driver - anybody can drive it (provided they have a valid licence). There is a proviso because I am over 70 I told the insurance company that no one under 30 will drive it which makes the insurance much cheaper.

If a driver under 30 does drive it the excess increases from $200 (£100) to $1000 (£500) but the car is still comprehensively insured. I think I pay about $500 a year to comprehensively insure a $40000 car.

Some young people and some pensioners with cheap cars don't worry about comprehensive insurance they get 'bomb' insurance which only covers damage to the other vehicle and is much cheaper.

As a pensioner I don't pay any rego or licence fees.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2017, 10:26 AM

Our insurance premiums may rise again, as insurance companies may look at the options you have fitted when you buy your ( new) car, extras such as radar controlled cruise, ect are expensive to replace after an accident, although safety items such as post collision braking, may be used to reduce premium's, the Australian system is much better where the car is insured not the driver, but how would the insurance companies make any money if they did that over here, the UK isnt known as treasure
Island for nothing you know
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2017, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Recently, I moved my car insurance to Saga and saved £150. Earlier this year I moved my household maintenance agreement to Saga and saved a similar amount.

Obviously, I won't be able to repeat those savings every year but this year I'm £300 better off (for the moment).
I have just left Saga as they wanted to increase my insurance by £40 this year, same car as last year. Moved to Direct Line and got it £10 cheaper than last years cost.
Solitaryman
New Member!
The UK
Solitaryman is male 

06-10-2019, 03:07 PM

Was expecting lower price this year, instead got £50 up. I guess as a reward for being a good driver. Life’s becoming more confusing nowadays than ever before.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I have just left Saga as they wanted to increase my insurance by £40 this year, same car as last year. Moved to Direct Line and got it £10 cheaper than last years cost.
I know this is an old post.

Just canceled my Insurance with Hastings..... payments went up £80 from last year.

Phoned their number to ask to be made only Third Party was told we only do fully comp and you are still insured for third party.

Could not get through to her that I only wanted 3rd Party so I canceled.

She was in a call centre in South Africa.

Am looking at direct line but only if their call centres are in the UK.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
I know this is an old post.

Just canceled my Insurance with Hastings..... payments went up £80 from last year.

Phoned their number to ask to be made only Third Party was told we only do fully comp and you are still insured for third party.

Could not get through to her that I only wanted 3rd Party so I canceled.

She was in a call centre in South Africa.

Am looking at direct line but only if their call centres are in the UK.
That's the solution: always check other suppliers when renewal is approaching. Martin Lewis suggests 21 days before renewal is the best time to get a competitive deal (though I don't really know how that works!).
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's the solution: always check other suppliers when renewal is approaching. Martin Lewis suggests 21 days before renewal is the best time to get a competitive deal (though I don't really know how that works!).
Insurance companies will only actively work with you in finding a better deal if they know you current contract is about to end. This allows them to come up a quote which can sometimes be negotiated but you need enough time to do it before your existing insurance renews itself, hence why Mr Lewis suggests 21 days. Is enough time to get quotes from other insurance companies and work deals with them.

I did this with my flats contents insurance. I was with Norwich Union via an insurance broker. My bank was getting into insurance and kept pestering me about insurance so i got a revised quote from my current insurance provider, then went to my bank and said here's the quote (I emailed them a copy), i said if you can beat that on the same terms by £2, you get my business. The customer rep on the other end of the line asked me if i can hold for a moment, was on hold for 3 mins, they came back, said they could beat it by £2, i said OK, draw up the paperwork and you'll have me as a customer
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
I did this with my flats contents insurance. I was with Norwich Union via an insurance broker. My bank was getting into insurance and kept pestering me about insurance so i got a revised quote from my current insurance provider, then went to my bank and said here's the quote (I emailed them a copy), i said if you can beat that on the same terms by £2, you get my business. The customer rep on the other end of the line asked me if i can hold for a moment, was on hold for 3 mins, they came back, said they could beat it by £2, i said OK, draw up the paperwork and you'll have me as a customer
HOW MUCH?!

£2! That much? You devil, you!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2019, 10:20 PM

Just got my renewal last week, and they want to put mine up by £40.
I have been with the same company for over 20 years, so perhaps time I shopped around me thinks.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2019, 06:44 PM

After much searching and questioning, I have finally changed insurance companies. I hope I've done the right thing.

I think I am covered for everything I wanted, I hope I haven't overlooked anything, and have also managed to save myself £114.
I'll see how it goes.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top