Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 06:52 PM

Britain's Class System is Alive and Well - And Growing!

I was reading an article today at Time.com with the above heading, that states the 3-tier class system that has put us Brits in our place for generations, is today in need of an update!

According to a recent wide-ranging study by the BBC, with the aid of sociologists, expanded the traditional features that define class, occupation, wealth and education - to include other influencing factors such as cultural activities and the company one keeps.

The surprising results show that only 39% can truly call themselves working, middle and upper class in today’s society. To reflect modern Britain, there are now Seven groups of class rather than Three.

At the top are -

The Elites
The Upper Class.
The Technical Middle Class
The Middle Class.
The New Affluent Workers
The Emergent Service Workers
The Working Class.

Apparently, to find out which group you fall into, you can take part in the BBC’s class calculator via the website.

newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/04/britains-class-system-is-alive-and-well-and-growing/

Mmmm, It states that the class you are in is all down to Occupation, Wealth and Education, with other factors thrown in such as social culture and the company one keeps!
LOL - I wonder what category I fall into with sitting in at night with my obligatory glass of wine from a £6 bottle and watching programmes such as Downton Abbey, don’t mind being seen shopping at Aldi or Lidl’s, and still enjoy going to the occasional Bingo night out at the Mecca Club!
I probably come into yet another group - Common as Muck!

What about you?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:04 PM

Re: Britain's Class System is Alive and Well - And Growing!

£6 for a bottle of Lidl wine? Par Eque, you know how to splash out. I settle for their £4.50 bottles of Chianti.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I was reading an article today at Time.com with the above heading, that states the 3-tier class system that has put us Brits in our place for generations, is today in need of an update!

According to a recent wide-ranging study by the BBC, with the aid of sociologists, expanded the traditional features that define class, occupation, wealth and education - to include other influencing factors such as cultural activities and the company one keeps.

The surprising results show that only 39% can truly call themselves working, middle and upper class in today’s society. To reflect modern Britain, there are now Seven groups of class rather than Three.

At the top are -

The Elites
The Upper Class.
The Technical Middle Class
The Middle Class.
The New Affluent Workers
The Emergent Service Workers
The Working Class.

Apparently, to find out which group you fall into, you can take part in the BBC’s class calculator via the website.

newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/04/britains-class-system-is-alive-and-well-and-growing/

Mmmm, It states that the class you are in is all down to Occupation, Wealth and Education, with other factors thrown in such as social culture and the company one keeps!
LOL - I wonder what category I fall into with sitting in at night with my obligatory glass of wine from a £6 bottle and watching programmes such as Downton Abbey, don’t mind being seen shopping at Aldi or Lidl’s, and still enjoy going to the occasional Bingo night out at the Mecca Club!
I probably come into yet another group - Common as Muck!

What about you?
Hi

That made me smile Shroppy.

This is how the Government Classify us.

http://doc.ukdataservice.ac.uk/doc/5...9userguide.pdf

You do not want to be a Rootless Renter
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:35 PM

We appear to be 'Technical Middle Class'.

Funny. I always thought of myself being 'Working Class (Retired)'!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:41 PM

Upper class..................now that shocked me.....I thought Sir Terry would be
in The Elites
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:49 PM

Any mention of where those who shop at Poundland fit in?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Just below Big Issue sellers
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
The great unwashed.
They missed that one....
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Just below Big Issue sellers
Oi,

I sold ten of those last week!
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

27-05-2017, 08:02 PM

Coincidentally enough for a packet of cigs or a bottle of sherry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top