Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 12:26 AM

favourite classical tracks

I'm sure there's already a thread about this somewhere, but I was just chatting to a friend whose son is in music school and my love of the composer Saint Saens came up. I'd completely forgotten how I could just keep listening to his works a few years ago and this track was a favourite. It's very optimistic and great as a distraction or if you are feeling a bit down :

MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 06:22 AM

Re: favourite classical tracks

My two favourite pieces are both from the same composer and the same symphony. The first is the stirring, uplifting opening movement from Gustav Mahler's Symphony No. 8 (Symphony of 1000) set to Goethe's poetry - "Veni Creator Spiritus" Despite the fact that I am a card carrying atheist, this is a deeply spiritual and life-affirming piece of music (Yes - atheists can be spiritual).

The second piece is the final movement - again Goethe's poetry set by Mahler to the most sublime music - "Alles Vergangliche ist nur ein gleichnis" (All that is transitory is but an illusion, or, "Don't sweat the small stuff!")

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 07:39 AM

I always find this very relaxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTtyBJTstVk
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks for those wonderful links Mick...you really get your money's worth with Mahler!
Last year I was lucky enough to get to see Mahler's fabulous Symphony No.3 at the Albert Hall Proms, a great experience.

The Borodin is lovely UJ, I wonder what he'd have thought about the song from Kismet !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Hi

Pachelbel, Canon in D, St Martins in the Field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLKm5txgRmw

If you are ever in Shrewsbury, St Chads, a circular church with brilliant acoustics does Friday Lunch Concerts, right in the Town Centre, parking concert and light lunch is £8.

http://stchadschurchshrewsbury.com/w...06/AAAProg.pdf
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Thanks for those wonderful links Mick...you really get your money's worth with Mahler!
Last year I was lucky enough to get to see Mahler's fabulous Symphony No.3 at the Albert Hall Proms, a great experience.
I first discovered Mahler in 1971 when I saw the Film "Death In Venice" with Dirk Bogard. The adagietto from the 5th Symphony and pieces from the 3rd Sumphony were used throughout the film and, afterwards, I had to find out more about the composer.
I've been lucky enough to see almost all of his symphonies over the years as well as a couple of his song cycles (I especially love The Song of The Earth - Das Lied von der Erde). He really was a musical genius.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I first discovered Mahler in 1971 when I saw the Film "Death In Venice" with Dirk Bogard. The adagietto from the 5th Symphony and pieces from the 3rd Sumphony were used throughout the film and, afterwards, I had to find out more about the composer.
I've been lucky enough to see almost all of his symphonies over the years as well as a couple of his song cycles (I especially love The Song of The Earth - Das Lied von der Erde). He really was a musical genius.
I'm with you, my introduction to Mahler was about the same time (perhaps 1968/9) when I shared a flat in Brixton with a fella and his girlfriend who both had a rubber fetish and their nights of sexual rapture were accompanied by very loud records of Mahler.

However Mozart's Dove Sono always reduces me to tears it is so moving, sad and poignant.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 05:04 PM

Im not fond of classical music but some of the modern composers are interesting.

This is an oldie and a favourite of mine, inspired Magma and led to me enjoying John Coltrane.

And i like where classical has influenced modern bands.

And some little gems.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2017, 06:31 PM

It's interesting because it was actually a Mahler piece that inadvertently inspired a discussion about music and this thread. Very dramatic.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-09-2017, 06:35 PM

Nom I can never hear Ravel's Bolero and not have a vision of Christopher Dean's pert bottom!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top