Join for free
Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Re: Nigel Farage

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Sorry ... got to disagree with the idea that one country deciding to leave, the UK, would be enough to bring down the EU if it's supposed to be so strong.

Surely the new countries that want to become new members, like Turkey will simply step in to fill the breach ... will step in to become a major financial contributor.
What will weaken the EU is too many countries like Poland drawing out considerably more than they pay in.

The EU was, is and will ever only be as strong as it's weakest link.
The UK was not a weak link which is why, on balance, it weakened us by been a member.
You're right, Morty.

The major contributors to the EU's coffers are Germany, the UK and France although, of course, France's nett contributions are far less than ours for some reason.

If and when we stop contributing, France and Germany will have to cough up the difference. Demands on any other country are likely to be refused: the richer ones (like the Netherlands and Belgium) would not see any sense in damaging their financial situation, whilst the poorer ones (Spain, Italy and especially Greece) could not possibly afford it.

In fact, it will be very interesting to see from whom the EU Commission demands the shortfall.

Perhaps they could look for a bigger country to join their club. Russia?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by twizzle ->
Yes, it tells me that people aim their well justified discontent with how things are in their lives at the wrong targets. Their current problems aren't caused by the EU, and they will be far worse off without it, but they hit out with a protest vote. Cutting their noses off to spite their face instead of tackling the real sources of their problems.
Are you allowed to vote in the French elections Twizz?
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Are you allowed to vote in the French elections Twizz?
Weird question, repeated twice. Why would I be?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Haven't seen many hard facts from your direction.
See the links I provided above doom brain
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

I think that most of us who recognise an old 'friend' can see the pertinence of that question.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

How long do Ex pats have to live in France before they are allowed to vote?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:43 PM

I sincerely hope you're right and that the EU is strong enough to withstand the Brexiters betrayal.

I think to a large extent the attitudes of some Brexiter types to the EU did make the UK a weak link, holding them back and they will probably be glad to be rid of the Brexiters negativity.

The UK will be weakened globally, financially and internally by not being part of the EU.
The Brexiteer's majority vote was not a betrayal of the EU. It was a desire for UK independence.
God, this is like elementary school playground time.

You're concerned about the EU's future. The majority of UK citizens are more concerned with the Uk's future and don't really give a stuff about the EU.
If the EU is as good and strong as it's fans think it is it will have no need to worry.
Personally I think it's already a bit of floating driftwood ready to submerge beneath the waves.
twizzle
somerset
twizzle is female  twizzle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:47 PM

It's called like for like ... you're catching on. At last.

Just join the two sentences it'll make sense to you.
It's only the small minded mushy peaheads who're complaining it was only the stupid, xenophobic and racist ones who voted to leave.
So you take the moral high ground, claim you disapprove on name calling, then respond with name calling and shit-stirring of your own?

Or, just join the sentences the other way round, it'll make sense to you.

it's only the stupid, xenophobic and racist ones calling those who disagree with them small minded mushy peaheads.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 05:49 PM

Oh give it a rest will you, you fixated over 50 jaw chomper.

We're doing alright and manage to get along nicely when you actually reply to any posts in a civilised way. Discussion is good. Constant slagging off and trying to stick me with your hat pin is getting tedious.
twizzle
somerset

21-01-2018, 05:57 PM

The Brexiteer's majority vote was not a betrayal of the EU.
You're concerned about the EU's future. The majority of UK citizens are more concerned with the Uk's future and don't really give a stuff about the EU.
If the EU is as good and strong as it's fans think it is it will have no need to worry.
Personally I think it's already a bit of floating driftwood ready to submerge beneath the waves.
You see it's this type of limited, xenophobic thinking that will destroy us.

The EU countries are our nearest neighbours, trading partners and allies. Not giving a stuff about them is short sighted in terms of finance, trade and global influence, let alone in humanitarian and ethical terms. Not giving a stuff is not a virtue.

The best future for the UK would be as part of the EU. Our futures are permanently intertwined, creating Little England won't change that.

The UK Brexit vote was the betrayal of friends and allies, believing they'd be better off alone, an act of self-interest that will soon prove to be misguided.

Page 32 of 42 « First < 22 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top