Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Is it broken?

I took a running leap at the stairs the other day, from a further distance than usual and didn't quite land my foot fully on the bottom step. It slipped off and landed on the hall floor tiles as the momentum propelled me forward on to my knee.
At the time my knee was the painful part...It has bruised a bit but it's turning nicely yellow at the edges now!!
My foot on the other hand..although smarting a bit at the time seems to be getting worse. The bottom of my toes are turning black...and although not swollen my foot hurts when I thouch the side of it ,the bottom of it and the part that's turning black. It's also painful to walk on with or without a shoe

Is there a way of telling if I've cracked or broken a bone? I can wiggle my toes but my little toe really hurts when I do

I feel a fool...which has prevented me going to the minor accident/injury open surgery at the local hospital....thus far

Any would be doctors or nurses out there?
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Re: Is it broken?

Rhian......get to the minor injuries unit, ASAP.

Although your foot turning black is not a sure sign of anything sinister, could just be really bad bruising, I don't think you should risk it.

Go. Now. You know it makes sense.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:17 PM

I think you need to get an xray...just incase. Last summer I was walking by the river and caught my shoe in a tree root, this was the result. It wasn't broken but very badly bruised and swollen. It got worse before it got better. Go check girl.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:17 PM

I have dug out my white coat and my stethoscope and will be leaving in a few minutes.

As others have said, get to A&E and get it X Rayed, you might have a fracture which is apparently more painful than a break.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I think you need to get an xray...just incase. Last summer I was walking by the river and caught my shoe in a tree root, this was the result. It wasn't broken but very badly bruised and swollen. It got worse before it got better. Go check girl.
Ouch and double ouch Roxy!
My toes are going black a little further down the foot than yours and it's the middle toe, fourthie and the little toe
that are affected

Thanks for your words of advice everyone
I'll go to the hospital when it's next open Monday evening
Unless a miracle healing has happened
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

28-04-2018, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have dug out my white coat and my stethoscope and will be leaving in a few minutes.
I used to love playing doctors and nurses!

Should be doctors and doctors in these days of equality though!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Get it checked, black toes could be a sign of damaged circulation, and that could lead to gangrene and amputation
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
I used to love playing doctors and nurses!

Should be doctors and doctors in these days of equality though!
I'm not that PC, I still prefer a Nurse.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2018, 12:33 PM

Let us know how you get on Rhian, hope it either settles down, or you can get it sorted soon.

Not sure if it's a good idea to wait till Monday though, as Nom said, not if it's turning black.

Don't suppose you've got any Arnica either liquid or ointment, have you? That is specially for bruising.
If you have ointment, smooth it in as long as the skin isn't broken, and if you had liquid, put a few drops in a bowl of water and soak your foot for a little while..
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales

28-04-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Let us know how you get on Rhian, hope it either settles down, or you can get it sorted soon.

Not sure if it's a good idea to wait till Monday though, as Nom said, not if it's turning black.

Don't suppose you've got any Arnica either liquid or ointment, have you? That is specially for bruising.
If you have ointment, smooth it in as long as the skin isn't broken, and if you had liquid, put a few drops in a bowl of water and soak your foot for a little while..
Oh I haven't heard of that Mups
A soak sounds like a good idea

I've carried on swimming with it and the water's support definitely makes it less painful.

My local hospital is only a weekday surgery
To go to the nearest big hospital could be a 24+ hours wait
And I'd feel a bit of a fraud in comparison to the properly medically needy

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top