Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2018, 07:27 AM

Authors

Do you find there are some authors that you just cannot read - I don't mean dislike as such but just can't read.

Example - I loved the Inspector Morse series on TV/DVD - but cannot get into Colin Dexter's books.

The same with P D James (Adam Dalgliesh) and Ruth Rendell (Inspector Wexford) - love the dramatizations cannot read the books.

Must be something to do with their style of writing.

Have you found this with any authors?
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 11:42 PM

Re: Authors

I know what you mean but I think there is a discipline to be adhered to. we know that tv/film dramatizations will be different from their source books - condescended often .

Reading a book first before viewing the tv version is I think the best way round but not always possible. but if you have seen a tv version before reading the book then I think to read you need to disconnect from the tv version and read afresh or read for the first time ignoring the tv version because in fact they can be two totally different experiences and stories?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 11:47 PM

A few years back, I used to love Georgette Heyer books.
I apprecaite she would not be to everyone's liking, but I used to love 'em.

I read all sorts now though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 05:45 AM

Hi

I also find Colin Dexter difficult, tedious with a lack of flow.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I also find Colin Dexter difficult, tedious with a lack of flow.
That is it exactly, Swimmy. Did you like the 'Morse' TV series though?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-05-2018, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A few years back, I used to love Georgette Heyer books.
She is probably best known for her historical (Regency) novels but she wrote some good detective novels as well !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

11-05-2018, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
I know what you mean but I think there is a discipline to be adhered to. we know that tv/film dramatizations will be different from their source books - condescended often .

Reading a book first before viewing the tv version is I think the best way round but not always possible. but if you have seen a tv version before reading the book then I think to read you need to disconnect from the tv version and read afresh or read for the first time ignoring the tv version because in fact they can be two totally different experiences and stories?
Good points, Gumbud.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 06:32 AM

I don't read much now, but in the 80's I was captured by an author called Lucy Irvine. She wrote the books, Castaway & Runaway which were auto biographical about her life as a teenager, and I found it hard to put those books down.

After these she became almost reclusive and brought up her sons on a remote Scottish Island, but has now moved to living, in a similar fashion in Bulgaria.

I haven't read "Faraway" which is "A fascinating tale of two extraordinary worlds - 'primitive' and modern 'colonial' - in which tragedy, heroism, danger and pure joy combine in one remarkable story." and I understand that she is now writing a new book.

One day I will find the time to read both of them, but you may not see much of me on the forum when I do!
It isn't a wonderful education that makes her so easy to read, it is her experiences of life!

Oops, I forgot to mention that that the film of Castaway, starring Oliver Read, did not live up to the book!
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 08:06 AM

Cant get on with George R R Martin Game of Thrones Books, but love the TV series.

The other author is J K Rowling, fraid Potter just passes me by.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

I can no longer read James Patterson, he just seems to be....I don't know....something changed in his writing style and now I just can't read him anymore.

As for dramatisations......they never seem to live up to the books. I think when you read a book you get a mental image of the characters then the book gets dramatised and the actor/s don't match up to your mental images.

I have avoided the Game of Thrones books for just this reason, as I don't want to be disappointed with the TV series.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top