Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 11:39 PM

Steroids

Just read Deylon's 'Bad day' thread and noticed that steroids have been prescribed.

Why are doctors using these as a cure for all ills? A friend of mine has been given them for pneumonia, one of my neighbours has them for IBS and gout - and yet another neighbour takes them for congestive heart disease.

I have always understood that steroids were actually bad for you - messing with the immune system, the metabolism and thinning the skin.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2018, 11:53 PM

Re: Steroids

Tabby, one of my dog's has a sore toe, and even she has been prescribed Steroids too - fortunately only about a week though. 3 days on, then three alternate days, then stop.

About 3 years ago I was prescribed them too for inflammation showing up in a blood test. Then after I had been on them for a while, the next doctor told me I should never have been given them as they interfered with blood tests he wanted to do! As you must not just stop taking them suddenly, he had to wean me off them gradually.
Prednisolone (or Prednisone) seems widely used in humans and the animal world too.
I know among the side affects they can also affect our liver and kidneys too, as well as increase appetite.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 12:00 AM

I was prescribed them when I had pneumonia and a second time after a bad chest infection this year. I have just recently been diagnosed with COPD . I think they help initially but they are a bad drug to take really. I will try my best to avoid them in future.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I was prescribed them when I had pneumonia and a second time after a bad chest infection this year. I have just recently been diagnosed with COPD . I think they help initially but they are a bad drug to take really. I will try my best to avoid them in future.

I think they are bad LONG TERM, I wouldn't want that, but can be of help short term.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 05:56 AM

Steroids reduce inflammation, which occurs with many illnesses, but many are prescribed under a different name to "steroid" so some poor patients have no idea they are taking them. They are often used when people have chemo to reduce vomiting!

I have always thought that doctors prescribe drugs, but never take the time to explain why they are needed....so now, every time I get a prescription for something different to what I normally take, I ask " what are they and why do I need them?"
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Steroids reduce inflammation, which occurs with many illnesses, but many are prescribed under a different name to "steroid" so some poor patients have no idea they are taking them. They are often used when people have chemo to reduce vomiting!

I have always thought that doctors prescribe drugs, but never take the time to explain why they are needed....so now, every time I get a prescription for something different to what I normally take, I ask " what are they and why do I need them?"
Me too, Twink. I won't take antibiotics at all and don't think I would want steroids. Fortunately have never needed them.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 06:59 AM

I was prescribed steroid lozenges for mouth ulcers when I was younger...I had lost lots of weight and I was very run down, actually they worked and I got my appetite back too so sometimes if prescribed sensibly they work.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 07:36 AM

My opinion on steroids and I have taken them on and off for 20 years is the good out weighs the bad.

I personally have had really only one side effect and that is the thinning of my skin especially on my fingers.Which can be a real pain at times because as we all know most pills these days are wrapped in aluminium and that stuff cuts my finger tips and I find the only way to stop my fingers bleeding is to walk about with plasters on my fingers most days.

Has for being weened off them after a course in my early days yes taking a 14 day course starting at 7 a day and every 2 days going down one until you reach one a day.
But as I got older I found the 5 x 6 course a much better way.It was told me by a doctor in hospital that older people are better suited to the crash course of taking 6 tabs a day for 5 days.I have found over the years that it works well for me but each person is different.

Lion Queen the fact that you have just been dx with COPD depending on how bad this is hopefully your gp or your COPD nurse has given you your emergency pack of 2 courses of antibiotics and 1 course of steroids to keep in your first aid cupboard in case of emergency's.

(Emergency being if you start having problems and can feel an infection coming on say for example a Friday and there is no chance of seeing your gp till Mon/Tuesday possibly later in some clinics around the UK.
That is time when when you should start self medicating.Because just a couple of days without medication may mean the infection could do a fair bit of damage and scar your lungs.)

So you should always have antibiotics/steroids in your home.
Believe me when I say there may come a day when you find them a life saver especially if ever you get a touch of pleurisy or pneumonia or a serious lung infection.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2018, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think they are bad LONG TERM, I wouldn't want that, but can be of help short term.
Yeah long term. Sorry that's what I meant, had it not been for two 5 day course of steroids along with antibiotics i..m not quite sure I would still be here. My friend who has Crohn's disease and emphysema has had to use lots of steroids over time and her skin is so thin it's almost transparent.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK

11-05-2018, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by longfellow ->
My opinion on steroids and I have taken them on and off for 20 years is the good out weighs the bad.

I personally have had really only one side effect and that is the thinning of my skin especially on my fingers.Which can be a real pain at times because as we all know most pills these days are wrapped in aluminium and that stuff cuts my finger tips and I find the only way to stop my fingers bleeding is to walk about with plasters on my fingers most days.

Has for being weened off them after a course in my early days yes taking a 14 day course starting at 7 a day and every 2 days going down one until you reach one a day.
But as I got older I found the 5 x 6 course a much better way.It was told me by a doctor in hospital that older people are better suited to the crash course of taking 6 tabs a day for 5 days.I have found over the years that it works well for me but each person is different.

Lion Queen the fact that you have just been dx with COPD depending on how bad this is hopefully your gp or your COPD nurse has given you your emergency pack of 2 courses of antibiotics and 1 course of steroids to keep in your first aid cupboard in case of emergency's.

(Emergency being if you start having problems and can feel an infection coming on say for example a Friday and there is no chance of seeing your gp till Mon/Tuesday possibly later in some clinics around the UK.
That is time when when you should start self medicating.Because just a couple of days without medication may mean the infection could do a fair bit of damage and scar your lungs.)

So you should always have antibiotics/steroids in your home.
Believe me when I say there may come a day when you find them a life saver especially if ever you get a touch of pleurisy or pneumonia or a serious lung infection.
I haven't been given an emergency supply but perhaps that's because i.m only in early stages? I will mention this when I see my nurse do thank you for telling me. Pneumonia is very frightening, I thought my number was up at Christmas. Xx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top