Join for free
Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:52 AM

Re: Last Gasp Attempt !

My concern is that the Canada deal took years to negotiate. They are still arguing about some things. We have added complexity in that we have to extricate existing complex arrangements, many of which have been agreed for years in advance. You can't just walk away from signed contracts and put services at risk.

So if they go for Canada then fine as long as we have certainty, but they need to be realistic about the timescale for any such change. That is my main bugbear, that some Brexit voters insist this should happen overnight. That's just not realistic and foolhardy for the economy.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't understand why we are not fighting more to save this industry for the UK. But it just feels like it's slipping through the fingers and nobody is trying to stop it, maybe because nobody knows what to do.

In terms of credit, we have no choice but to borrow, we simply cannot afford to run the country without it. If we could just organise an interim arrangement for say ten years while we sort out a smooth transition then we could tide ourselves over with decent growth and the whole money multiplier effect that brings, which does result in increased tax receipts. But every economic policy that is happening right now (and I am not just talking of brexit) is detrimental to growth. It really does feel that there is a desperation to come up with ideas that might work. These ideas are not part of a coordinated strategy. Ends are not being tied up. It's really sad to watch the economy fray. I just hope that somehow it all comes together, but there are currently too many scattered energies because of Brexit negotiations.
You're obsessed with growth......and financial services.

We only need growth because we continue to spend and borrow .

If we tried to live within our means and stopped mortgaging our children's future we would create a more sustainable economy.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Corbyn wants out of the Single Market, other than that all we get are vague promises that he will get a better deal.

Voting Labour will not stop Brexit and Corbyn cannot get a better deal.

Our Politicians are all bluff and bluster, on both sides.

Getting hard with the EU , as JRM and Co want is not going to change a thing.

Boris can criticise as much as he wants.

What is on the table is a Canada Deal, the same deal we will be looking for with all our future Trade Deals with other Countries,

There is no magic bullet, we will not change the World and get deals on Services
You have all your criticisms worked out but you offer no solutions.

We won't get a deal on services because they aren't part of trade deal negotiations ......but you know that, I've told you that before.
Moscow
Scotland

21-05-2018, 07:12 AM

Hi

I have posted previously on this Annie.

The jobs and computer systems are staying in London., the actual trades are being logged in the EU.

This means we lose the tax on these trades.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44130363

It is not just one company moving, there are many.

Insurance, Credit, Wealth Management and Pension Companies are also moving and we lose the vast sums they pay in tax, Ireland and other EU Countries win.

This is entirely due to our Red Lines.

I disagree about borrowing, our Credit rating has been reduced and the £ has fallen, this makes servicing our debt more expensive.
It's right that EU business is taxed in the EU.

How is that wrong?

The City has been profiting at the expense of other countries for far too long.

We need to realign our economy away from the London-centric services and financial bias that has skewed this nation both socially and economically.

One of the reasons for Brexit is that London's hinterland...i..e the rUK has suffered and been ignored and has not been given investment.

If London suffers, so be it. The rUk won't shed any tears.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
You're obsessed with growth......and financial services.

We only need growth because we continue to spend and borrow .

If we tried to live within our means and stopped mortgaging our children's future we would create a more sustainable economy.
You can't just stop spending. It doesn't work like that in the economic model we follow. Every change has a knock on effect on every level of society and detrimental changes affect the least affluent the most.

Brexit was not about ditching capitalism. This mentality is "blue passport" thinking and dreams of Middle Earth.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-05-2018, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
It's right that EU business is taxed in the EU.

How is that wrong?

The City has been profiting at the expense of other countries for far too long.

We need to realign our economy away from the London-centric services and financial bias that has skewed this nation both socially and economically.

One of the reasons for Brexit is that London's hinterland...i..e the rUK has suffered and been ignored and has not been given investment.

If London suffers, so be it. The rUk won't shed any tears.
What has the disparity in income between London and other regions to do with the EU? Those are our own internal issues, nothing to do with Brexit.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2018, 08:49 AM

Hi

When we leave it will of course take years to negotiate new deals, that is the nature of the game.

It is a myth, spread by the Brexiteers, that Trade Deals only take a long time to negotiate because the EU are involved.

They take years even when the EU are not involved at all, look at some of the Asian ones.

Our biggest exports are services, we actually manufacture very little.

What manufacturing we have is predominately foreign owned and many of these are based in the UK becuse that gives them access to the Single Market.

We cannot insist they stay here after Brexit, they will make a decision purely on profit.

To rebalance our economy away from services as Moscow suggested will take years, to increase our manufacturing exports we need to become competitive on price.

We simply cannot compete on price at the moment with the new Asian Economies.

South Korean shipbuilding, Japanese Cars, Taiwanese electronics etc etc.

My new Spear and Jackson lawnmower was made in China for example.

We cannot change things quickly.

We have ruled out many things and painted ourselves into a corner with our Red Lines.

We are not having a Norway or Swiss Type deal, which works well for both those Countries.

I have absolutely no answer as to how to square the circle, the solution is well above my level of intelligence.

We are heading, inexorably towards a Hard Brexit, straight to WTO Rules.

In doing so we are not just cutting ourselves off from the EU, we will no longer have Trade Deals with the 40 or so non EU Countries we have now and will lose out on the massive new ones the EU has negotiated with Japan and South Korea.

A Trade Deal with Australia will not replace these, it has an Economy about the size of Spain.

I would have been very happy yo leave the EU and rejoin the EEA or have a Swiss type set up.

These have been ruled out by Government.

Over 17 million people voted to leave, the method of our leaving is being determined by 10 DUP and 30 Conservative MPs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 03:50 PM

Never before have so many.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Never have so many.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	6068  
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Scary innit JBR, the establishment will need to find rew ways to fund their corruption.
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Hi

When we leave it will of course take years to negotiate new deals, that is the nature of the game.

It is a myth, spread by the Brexiteers, that Trade Deals only take a long time to negotiate because the EU are involved.

They take years even when the EU are not involved at all, look at some of the Asian ones.

Our biggest exports are services, we actually manufacture very little.

What manufacturing we have is predominately foreign owned and many of these are based in the UK becuse that gives them access to the Single Market.

We cannot insist they stay here after Brexit, they will make a decision purely on profit.

To rebalance our economy away from services as Moscow suggested will take years, to increase our manufacturing exports we need to become competitive on price.

We simply cannot compete on price at the moment with the new Asian Economies.

South Korean shipbuilding, Japanese Cars, Taiwanese electronics etc etc.

My new Spear and Jackson lawnmower was made in China for example.

We cannot change things quickly.

We have ruled out many things and painted ourselves into a corner with our Red Lines.

We are not having a Norway or Swiss Type deal, which works well for both those Countries.

I have absolutely no answer as to how to square the circle, the solution is well above my level of intelligence.

We are heading, inexorably towards a Hard Brexit, straight to WTO Rules.

In doing so we are not just cutting ourselves off from the EU, we will no longer have Trade Deals with the 40 or so non EU Countries we have now and will lose out on the massive new ones the EU has negotiated with Japan and South Korea.

A Trade Deal with Australia will not replace these, it has an Economy about the size of Spain.

I would have been very happy yo leave the EU and rejoin the EEA or have a Swiss type set up.

These have been ruled out by Government.

Over 17 million people voted to leave, the method of our leaving is being determined by 10 DUP and 30 Conservative MPs.

We actually manufacture rather a lot.
https://www.themanufacturer.com/uk-m...ng-statistics/

Page 9 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top