Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:11 PM

Re: Do you consider yourself intelligent.

There's different types of intelligence.

Academically I'm very intelligent; emotionally and socially much less so.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I class intelligence as being able to judge people's characters, be able to control your own lifestyle without others having to do it for you, be able to read and write in a basic sense and have some kind of practical common sense.

When I look at quiz contestants on Eggheads or The Chase who are 20 years old and have diplomas and degrees up the ying yang but know nothing about life, I turn it off. They are never going to win the game. They might be able to tell you the matrix of an algebraic logarithm (whatever that means) or wave their placards at some Labour councillor but they don't even know who Pink Floyd are and they can't wire a plug. No life experience, and that's how you amass intelligence - you gain it living your life and endure what happens all around you.

Am I intelligent? In some ways I guess I am.
I like to think that I'm good at certain things without being naturally gifted in any department (except maybe that one, but that's just how I was born).
I remember hearing that when Bono addressed some type of Conservative conference half of them didn't know who he was.

I mean Bono, come on, love him or loathe him everybody knows who Bono is.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
I class intelligence as being able to judge people's characters, be able to control your own lifestyle without others having to do it for you, be able to read and write in a basic sense and have some kind of practical common sense.

When I look at quiz contestants on Eggheads or The Chase who are 20 years old and have diplomas and degrees up the ying yang but know nothing about life, I turn it off. They are never going to win the game. They might be able to tell you the matrix of an algebraic logarithm (whatever that means) or wave their placards at some Labour councillor but they don't even know who Pink Floyd are and they can't wire a plug. No life experience, and that's how you amass intelligence - you gain it living your life and endure what happens all around you.

Am I intelligent? In some ways I guess I am.
I like to think that I'm good at certain things without being naturally gifted in any department (except maybe that one, but that's just how I was born).
Talking of Eggheads, which my husband and I watch during the week, I can answer quite a number of the questions especially the general knowledge ones. I have even answered correctly on occasion, ones that Kevin, the master brain, got wrong. I did get prizes for general knowledge when I was at school. It is my inability where maths is concerned, which lets me down so very badly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I remember hearing that when Bono addressed some type of Conservative conference half of them didn't know who he was.

I mean Bono, come on, love him or loathe him everybody knows who Bono is.
Yes, and we'd rather forget when he starts his unwanted preaching. Stick to singing, Bono - you're not a hypocrite so much with that

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Talking of Eggheads, which my husband and I watch during the week, I can answer quite a number of the questions especially the general knowledge ones. I have even answered correctly on occasion, ones that Kevin, the master brain, got wrong. I did get prizes for general knowledge when I was at school. It is my inability where maths is concerned, which lets me down so very badly.
My granddaughter (aged 7) asked me last week to help her with her 'sums'. I was fine with it, but she said I hadn't showed the 'working out', and I couldn't remember how to do that!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Some very intelligent people have lots of knowledge but some lack common sense and aren’t at all, streetwise.

I have known very intelligent people who can’t even pass their Driving Test! They couldn’t even change a fuse!

I suppose, l am of average intelligence, not ultra intelligent but l know lots of answers in the quizzes l go to, where our team wins!!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:40 PM

If you can't change a fuse or a wheel or do basic stuff it's not because you're unintelligent, just that you've never been shown how!!

These clever egghead types would learn life skills quick enough if they were shown...but they've often led very narrow cloistered academic lives...

And human relationships are often a complete fog to brainboxes.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
If you can't change a fuse or a wheel or do basic stuff it's not because you're unintelligent, just that you've never been shown how!!

These clever egghead types would learn life skills quick enough if they were shown...but they've often led very narrow cloistered academic lives...

Ok! Nelly Knowall!

I didn’t say they were unintelligent at all!! I meant, some very intelligent people aren’t practical in some basic things.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 05:44 PM

I believe that we are all intelligent, but in different ways . We all have abilities and use them to deal with things that happen in our lives, so surely it is wrong to judge one person as more intelligent, just because they have done well in an exam!
Who is the most intelligent can only be judged by the circumstances you are in.

Here are the masters degrees that employers are most attracted to:-
MBA: 26.4% will hire.
Finance: 25%
Accounting: 23.6%
Computer Science: 22.9%
Information Sciences & Systems: 18.8%
Computer Engineering: 18.1%
Management Information Systems: 15.3%
Marketing: 15.3%

So for example,
If we were all in the countryside with these people and there was a massive disaster in the world, that destroyed a lot of the food:
1. Which one of them would you choose to forage for food?
2. Which one would you choose to build you a safe shelter?
3.Which one would you choose to tend any wounds?

I suspect that you would be asking " Who is the most capable of doing these things?", and it may not be any of them, but just somebody who doesn't have letters after their name.

We all have different capabilities, and in certain circumstances, we don't need a qualification to be the most intelligent....it is what we know that makes us the best!

I believe that I am intelligent, but I am only the most intelligent when what I know, or do, is most useful.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

17-05-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->

You could include me amongst the latter type. But over the years I've got better with people, have learnt to cook well and am fairly tech-savvy. People can always learn although some won't.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2018, 06:09 PM

I don't think anyone has the right to deem themselves to be more intelligent than anyone else.

We all have our gifts, some practical, some artistic. What one person may lack in "brain power" they may make up for in empathy.

It might just be me but I've always found people regarded as highly intelligent sadly lacking in some other area.

Some of the most intelligent people I know are idiots

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top