Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:43 PM

Re: The Irish

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
There hasn't been a referendum on the issue since 1921, a lot has happened since then and the hard-line unionists are not as numerically strong as they once were, so lets go ask the 'people' whether they want re-unification or not - a referendum BOTH sides of the border in accordance with the 'Good Friday' agreement.

And the answer will still be a resounding no as it will take the country right back

The Irish don't want us

The U.K. Don't want us

We can't afford to go it alone so we are tied to the Uk and you have to lump it

It's all well and good you sitting in your armchair in Brighton telling us how it needs to be for us here. I was the same when I lived in England. Give them back to Ireland I used to say. But living here, you learn that it's not that simple

My husband says he's British, his father, grandfather and great grandfather were British

My neighbour says they are Irish, will forever be Irish

Who's right? Who's going to throw their national identity away ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
There will be no border controls. There's no need for border controls between the North and South. They - the Irish and the DUP are just nothing using Brexit to get what they want - both sides wanting different

Even before we and Eire joined the Eu, there was no hard border as it came under the special trading agreement between the UK and Eire. There was always free movement of goods and services. The ' hard border' was only in situ during the troubles

Even before EU we travelled back and forth from England and Eire as British citizens with no requirement of passports

Exactly, but if there is no EU agreement then the EU are insisting on border controls, so unless May extracts her digit and gets down to proper negotiations, your days of travelling 'down south' without stopping may soon be over.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:46 PM

Yeah right they are going to put a big fence around Northern Ireland .
I think not.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Yeah right they are going to put a big fence around Northern Ireland .
I think not.

Your ignorance of Irish geography does you no credit.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-05-2018, 12:51 PM

And the answer will still be a resounding no as it will take the country right back

The Irish don't want us

The U.K. Don't want us

We can't afford to go it alone so we are tied to the Uk and you have to lump it

It's all well and good you sitting in your armchair in Brighton telling us how it needs to be for us here. I was the same when I lived in England. Give them back to Ireland I used to say. But living here, you learn that it's not that simple

My husband says he's British, his father, grandfather and great grandfather were British

My neighbour says they are Irish, will forever be Irish

Who's right? Who's going to throw their national identity away ?

So how about we ask the people, or are you so scared of the answer, that the people just might now decide to reunite as they should have done in 1921.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 12:57 PM

I'm all for it

But tell me this, who's going to push for the referendum ???

Can't see it ever happening
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-05-2018, 01:18 PM

I'm all for it

But tell me this, who's going to push for the referendum ???

Can't see it ever happening

Sinn Fein???
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 01:40 PM

Sorry but what's the big deal with showing a passport?

I go abroad, I go through a customs area, show my passport, so what?!

Heck I wouldn't care if they put a border around London in the UK and I had to show my passport and go through a customs check there either.
Mel15
Nowhere

26-05-2018, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sinn Fein???

How’s that going to happen in the North when it’s DUP in the chair??
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

26-05-2018, 02:03 PM

How’s that going to happen in the North when it’s DUP in the chair??

But for how much longer??? - the impasse between Sinn Fein and the DUP over Arlene Foster's financial double dealings will eventually be broken when she's prosecuted for corruption.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top