Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2018, 11:06 PM

Re: Plastic packing hard to get into...

I try not to buy processed foods in plastic but even I succumb to bacon

And its in plastic that only a Stanley knife is going to get into

That 'Open or peel Here" sign is sadistic I swear. Not a mission does it open where and how it says it should

Thankyou Stanley
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 12:23 AM

It's awful. The packaging that's sealed all the way around in some factory so you have to cut around it is the worst.

But in terms of the environment they just need to develop a similar material that is biodegradable. What about those caddy liners that are supposed to turn to sludge in compost?
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You are not alone Blue, and I for one, find some things ridiculously annoying to get into.

The first thing that springs to mind are new toothbrushes!
I usually end up stabbing the cardboard backing with something so as to get the plastic front off. Drives me nuts.
Mups, toothbrushes are the very worst thing to get into.
It is so annoying.

At the market, we get some salads etc in these square plastic containers and I have to cut into them as I just can't figure out how to open it. You have to be a genius to get into things in this new world.

Mags I also have a bad arm because I broke it last year and to use scissors is hard. I know what you are saying, not easy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Plastic is a very useful material. If plastic is suddenly outlawed, I wonder how certain things can be safely packaged. At the moment, plastic packaging ensures the cleanliness of foodstuffs and protection against infection.
I won't buy fresh fruit or vegs that are wrapped in plastic, and/or pre-trimmed etc., We survived hundreds of years of eating vegs before plastic was ever invented and I am sure we could again. Pretty presentation is no guarantee of quality and I like to see what I am buying. From a hygiene point of view - one has no idea of who has packed/touched them or in what conditions - so they still have to be washed anyway.

The danger arises when plastic is not disposed of correctly. Individual users should dispose of such items in the correct refuse bins and certainly should not throw them on the ground. After that, it is the council's responsibility to dispose of the waste. Some plastics can be recycled; others must be disposed of in some other way, probably by landfill.
That made me laugh, JBR, because here we (householders) do have separate boxes for glass, cardboard, and tins/plastic and we do put things in the correct boxes. What happens on collection days? A man arrives 5 mins before the big wagon - he brings a massive black bin on wheels - and dumps all the contents of every box into that and leaves by the curb for the wagon. What is the point of us trying to recycle responsibly when the council collectors do that?

In the longer term, manufacturers must make use of only recyclable or biodegradable plastic.
I totally agree. Other countries manage to recycle and make useful items from plastic waste - why can't we?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 07:37 AM

I understand you thoughts JBR, but everything is packed in plastic these days and not everybody is at home when they open the packs... so should they have to take all the packaging home so they can put it in the correct bin?

If we are concerned about how clean our fruit and veg are you can always wash them.... remember the person packing them may have just been to the loo & not washed their hands, so are we certain that the packed ones are cleaner?

Salad bags are filled with carbon dioxide & nitrogen to stop them being damaged.

Supermarkets encourage you to buy more than you need, by putting things in sealed packs!

If people are forced to use stanley knives and scissors to get into the packaging, there could be a few nasty accidents that require NHS assistance!

Nobody is suggesting that we get rid of all plastic, but we are saying if it is used too often ( as appears to be the case on packing foods), are we polluting our planet even further and destroying life on Earth?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
That made me laugh, JBR, because here we (householders) do have separate boxes for glass, cardboard, and tins/plastic and we do put things in the correct boxes. What happens on collection days? A man arrives 5 mins before the big wagon - he brings a massive black bin on wheels - and dumps all the contents of every box into that and leaves by the curb for the wagon. What is the point of us trying to recycle responsibly when the council collectors do that?
I think we all know that councils are not in the slightest bit interested in recycling; they only look forward to receiving EU bribes for having four different waste bins to make themselves look good.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jbr ->
plastic is a very useful material. If plastic is suddenly outlawed, i wonder how certain things can be safely packaged. At the moment, plastic packaging ensures the cleanliness of foodstuffs and protection against infection. If all packaging should be banned, i shouldn't be at all surprised if that is overturned by the health and safety brigade.

Once again, it is the government going off at half-cock. Plastic itself is not dangerous, but beneficial.

The danger arises when plastic is not disposed of correctly. Individual users should dispose of such items in the correct refuse bins and certainly should not throw them on the ground. After that, it is the council's responsibility to dispose of the waste. Some plastics can be recycled; others must be disposed of in some other way, probably by landfill.

In the longer term, manufacturers must make use of only recyclable or biodegradable plastic.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:18 AM

I had a light bulb which was sealed into some very hard plastic and no way of entry through the back of the pack.

I had to gingerly cut round it with a knife and was able to extract it without damage.

Why do manufacturers make things so hard? I suppose light bulbs could be fragile but not to the extent of this packaging.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I won't buy fresh fruit or vegs that are wrapped in plastic, and/or pre-trimmed etc., We survived hundreds of years of eating vegs before plastic was ever invented and I am sure we could again. Pretty presentation is no guarantee of quality and I like to see what I am buying. From a hygiene point of view - one has no idea of who has packed/touched them or in what conditions - so they still have to be washed anyway.
I like those sushi things you can get at the supermarket.

If they weren't packed in plastic, how would you wrap them to prevent them drying out?

I'm sure there are many more products for which we rely on plastic packaging.

I know what's going to happen. We'll see plastic disappearing from all sorts of applications until someone finally realises that we are causing even more problems for ourselves.

That's how things are done these days. Some trendy snowflake gets a bee in his/her bonnet and over-reacts. Then, after millions are spent and millions of people are inconvenienced, someone else realises it wasn't such a good idea after all. It's the British way.

I'll say it again. Plastic is not evil, it is beneficial. It is just that people don't dispose of it properly, and I include councils and other authorities.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2018, 10:28 AM

Plastic! Plastic! Everyone's on about it.

I watched a gardening programme this morning and they were banging on about it (as are most programmes on TV) then they showed three nice pond planters they had created....... in plastic.

Instead of councils dealing with plastic waste in the correct way, no doubt there will be a 'plastic tax' introduced, along with the sugar tax and every other tax that's ever been introduced to ''solve'' a problem.

The Daily Mail successfully rid of us of carrier bags and coffee cups but they don't mention all the trees that are cut down to produce their news paper.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top