Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 12:00 AM

Re: Christmas & Winter Driving

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
I heeded a snow warning by the Government last year. The warning said that anyone travelling in icy conditions should carry:
A shovel, blankets or sleeping bag, extra clothing including scarf, hat and gloves as well as 24 hours supply of food and drink, a de-icer, 5Kgs of rock salt, a torch or lantern with spare batteries Plus Road flares and reflective triangles, a tow rope,
a 5 gallon petrol jerry can, a first aid kit and jump leads, etc.

I felt a complete prat on the bus!!
I can always count on you for a laugh Tony...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2014, 07:19 PM

It was a shock having to scape the windscreen this morning. Even more a shock that I had my own car back. Well seen my son was on a day's hol.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 01:03 PM

Being retired, I have the choice of not going out in bad weather... but, many years ago - 1977/78 to be precise - I learned to drive on country roads over winter. A lot of advice is well meant, but even here in N.E.Scotland, you're never far from civilisation and you're not going to be stranded for long.

So, dress for the weather, make sure your phone is charged up and have a poke of sweeties in your pocket.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Having spent the last twelve years in the foothills of the Jizerka mountains in Eastern Europe where we always had at least two foot of snow and the roads were covered in ice from January to March it has become 'normal' to carry all the things mentioned.

I would also add that in those countries it is mandatory to have the so called 'winter tyres' which is something I now have fitted to my cars all year round.
Same here in Hungary. And to my list you can add food and water for the dogs who I don't like to leave behind in case I can't get home again! The second winter I lived here I couldn't get my car out of the garage for nearly a month because there was 2 foot of snow on my driveway and a 4 foot snowdrift blocking the garage door, and as I was spending most of my time digging two young dogs out of the snow didn't leave me with the energy to dig the car out of the garage as well! One of the joys of living in foreign parts!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
And to my list you can add food and water for the dogs who I don't like to leave behind in case I can't get home again!
Yes we had two dogs as well and always had fresh water for them, water is perhaps more important than food*. We always took them with us but only ever went to town and there was relatives we could call on if we really were stuck. It didn't happen in the nearly 12 years we were there thankfully.

*A true story I often tell to support that statement is in 1960 (or thereabouts) a man went walking in North Wales with his dog. Sadly the man suffered a massive heart attack and died in a very remore area, a search was carried out on foot and from a helicopter but they couldn't find him.

Three months latter some hikers came across his body with his dog still by his side. The vet said that the dog survived mainly because it was close to a stream with fresh fast flowing water. There was precious little food for the dog to eat.
tyrell
South Eat England
tyrell is male  tyrell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 08:32 PM

Just a quick link to remind everyone to drive safely this Christmas & New Year

http://youtu.be/AeFfBrb30lo

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top