Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 11:36 AM

Re: Sugar Sugar and YET MORE SUGAR!

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I get the impression that no one posting on this thread has actually watched the programme, and therefore is not aware of idea behind the pressure for the sugar tax and where the money raised will go.

The way it has been already implemented in Mexico and the results there are really interesting.
I haven't seen the programme as I haven't a TV license , but I have read this ...

Mexico’s Soda Tax Is Working. The US Should Learn From It
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/mexicos...king-us-learn/

Perfect live kinda controlled experiment.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I haven't seen the programme as I haven't a TV license , but I have read this ...

Mexico’s Soda Tax Is Working. The US Should Learn From It
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/mexicos...king-us-learn/

Perfect live kinda controlled experiment.
Well thank goodness for YOU!!
The phrase that jumps out at me from that research is right at the end...

“A soda tax alone is not going to solve the entire obesity and diabetes epidemic,” she says.
Still, it might help “shift people’s mindset about these beverages. They’re not innocent.”

Shifting people's mindset is an uphill task!

The not inconsiderable money raised by the sugar tax in the restaurants here, JO's and others, will be ploughed back into health education in schools and healthcare btw.

AND by golly if anyone says the school dinners campaign was a waste of time needs to look again. What a cracking little school that was, the headmaster should get an award!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 12:06 PM

Shocking to read that bottled water in Mexico is almost the same price as soda.

Mind you, he does say in 'little' stores. Maybe in large stores water is considerably cheaper ... perhaps I am too pedantic ?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 09:47 PM

There's a debate on sugar in the Films/TV section which really belongs here in the Health section.

News today highlighted the latest criminals committing atrocities on human health. Surprisingly (to some) it was HEINZ.

Their range of baby foods includes these biscotti biscuits.

https://www.heinzbaby.co.uk/en/produ...ganic-biscotti

Look at the ingredient list.

Sugar is a MASSIVE 28g per 100g of product !

For those still ignorant of just how much of this poison is being put in our foodstuffs, 4g of sugar = 1 teaspoonful.
Thus in 100g of these biscuits for babies, there are 7 teaspoonfuls of sugar !

Each single biscuit contains 1 full teaspoonful of sugar.

What kind of wicked people design a food like this for poorly educated people to give to innocent babies who have no choice in what they eat?

I note there are also almost 4g of saturated fat per 100g too !

It's absolutely immoral and criminal.

Perhaps what is even more criminal is that our authorities aren't complaining at the obscene level of sugar involved, but rather that the product was being advertised as a healthy snack for babies.

We live in a very corrupt and wicked world. I shall be boycotting all Heinz products as a result of this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 10:49 PM

There are 12g in a banana, and 16g in a grape, it's very easy to get sugar into a child's healthy diet even with fruit. Personally we never used commercial foods for them but I would rather they have sugar than some of the chemical substitutes in foods these days.
cinnamon girl
hampshire uk
cinnamon girl is female  cinnamon girl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 08:42 AM

Yes, there is sugar in fruit but there is also fibre vitamins and minerals which balance things out. also the sugar in fruit is in its natural state, not processed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 09:13 AM

I am aware but when it comes down to it no matter what it as it still makes people gain weight and still rots teeth.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 09:23 AM

**Please note this thread has been moved from the TV section to Health and merged with another thread on the same subject to prevent the duplication of a recent topic.
If the starter of the original thread has an issue with this we can look at it again .
Thank you.

Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Natural Sugar vs Refined (White) Sugar

Firstly here's a useful pictorial webpage that shows you how much sugar is in various fruits.

http://www.sugarstacks.com/fruits.htm

Then here is some info from another site which explains the difference:

The first thing to note is that natural sugar and refined sugar are basically the same molecules. They are made from a combination of fructose and glucose.

The ratios of fructose and glucose are pretty much the same in both fruit and table sugar. Most fruits are 40 to 55 percent fructose (there's some variation: 65 percent in apples and pears; 20 percent in cranberries), and table sugar (aka sucrose) is 50/50. Neither type of sugar is better or worse for you, but your body processes them differently. Fructose breaks down in your liver and doesn’t provoke an insulin response. Glucose starts to break down in the stomach and requires the release of insulin into the bloodstream to be

Don't get the idea that because the sugar composition is the same in fruit and cake, they're interchangeable. (Seriously, they're not.) For one thing, fruit offers good stuff like vitamins, antioxidants and water, while candy and desserts are nutritionally void. Fruit also tends to have less sugar by volume. Half a cup of strawberries: 3.5 grams of sugar. Half a cup of strawberry ice cream: 15 grams.

Plus, whole fruit has a lot of fibre, which actually slows down your body's digestion of glucose, so you don't get the crazy insulin spike (and subsequent crash) that candy causes. That also means your body has more time to use up glucose as fuel before storing it -- as fat

So that's useful info imo. 2 key points arise from it.

Firstly - it is the sheer concentration of refined sugars that are put into our foodstuffs that is a major issue. Eating a single apple provides about 5 teaspoons of sugar. In standard terms, there are 10g of sugar in 100g of apples.

Compare this to the hateful "Baby Biscotti" biscuits that Heinz market which have 28g of sugar per 100g of product !

Or to a 355ml can of Coca-Cola which has 39g of sugar or about 10 teaspoonfuls per can !!

Secondly - there is a difference in the way our bodies metabolise different sugars. Eating sugar via consumption of natural fruits results in a slow digestion of the sugar due to the fibre content of the fruit which means you have more time to burn off the sugar before it is stored as fat. Fruits also come packed with minerals and nutrients whereas white table sugar is barren of any such nutrition.

So when we keep eating sugar in unnatural forms, we increase the likelihood of it being stored as fat, we get zero nutrition from the eating of it and we actually force our bodies to give up nutrients and minerals it already has to aid the digestion process.

The final nail in the coffin here is that sugar is a substance that affects our "reward" senses. Anything with sugar in it will seem like a "good" or "enjoyable" thing because of that characteristic. That fruits and other natural foods do this is a benefit because it means we will eat more of those things and thus gain all the benefits of the nutrients, fibre and minerals.

When we put just the sugar into products that themselves have no nutritional benefit, such as cakes, biscuits, puddings etc, then that same "reward" process takes place and we teach the body that we like those bad things and thus will likely eat more of them.

My conclusion here is that refined sugar should never be put into foods which are already bad or nutritionally void. It should only be put into good foods. However, if a food is by itself, inherently good and nutritious, then why would we be wanting to put sugar into it anyway ?

In the end then the bottom line of all this, at least for me personally, is to get unnatural sugar out of my life completely.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Received this morning....

Dear .....

Parliament is going to debate the petition you signed – “Introduce a tax on sugary drinks in the UK to improve our children's health.”.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/106651

The debate is scheduled for 30 November 2015.

Once the debate has happened, we’ll email you a video and transcript.

Thanks,
The Petitions team
UK Government and Parliament

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top