Join for free
Page 15 of 25 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 07:19 PM

Re: Holly

She and her set up sound wonderful!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
When I was in the vet recently I heard a dog being dried in the little salon, so presume they use mobile dryers. I've also seen the beautician go in with an armful of towels!
Jazzi some groomers use cage dryers and there have been some dreadful accidents and deaths over the years When left unattended the dogs can overheat and can't escape .
Something to bear in mind when you look for a groomer for Holly.

I would never allow my dogs to go in a cage drier but then no one trims my dogs only me .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Jazzi some groomers use cage dryers and there have been some dreadful accidents and deaths over the years When left unattended the dogs can overheat and can't escape .

I would never allow my dogs to go in a cage drier but then no one trims my dogs only me .
I'll bear this in mind, and maybe ask around on local FB pages. There is nothing like asking regular users of these places.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 11:53 PM

Holly is so lovely, Jazzi !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-01-2018, 12:06 AM

Thank you ST, I think so too! Heh heh.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
ChoCho really doesnīt like being bathed at all, at least here at home. At the groomers she behaves like the perfect little angel, likes kids I guess, always well behaved elsewhere.

However she is terrified of hair dryers. This is because her very first haircut was done by the English wife of a local Vet, who has her own grooming parlour. Unfortunately she obviously employs people who have no idea what they are doing, mostly teenagers with no experience. When Mr Clumsy went to fetch ChoCho back after her first haircut, he could hear her screaming before he got through the door. Poor little ChoCho was so frightened she had climbed onto the girlīs head, the girl was holding her by a back leg and attempting to wave the hair dryer at her. Mr Clumsy had some very strong words with the girl, and Anna, the owner and we never took her there again. From what I hear from people now and then, nothing much has changed.

Since then we have taken her to a Spanish groomer, who has always been excellent with her, and Muffin when he was alive. Now we go to a more convenient groomer, again a young Spanish woman who is absolutely brilliant with her. It was by recommendation that we tried this young woman and both we, and ChoCho are happy with her. The drier this young woman uses is, she told us, specially made for pets. Itīs like a big overhead fan in a separate room,with a glass wall so she can see the dog at all times, with toys and cushions, so the dog can move around, play or just sit whilst being dried off with warm air. The other nice thing is that she only ever has two dogs in at any one time, one being dried ready to be collected and one being bathed and groomed, and she never books large dogs in at the same time as small ones. I just hope she doesnīt leave any time soon.

Clumsy, that is horrendous. I'd have been livid if I caught anyone treating mine like that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Meg's right Jazzi. If you do take Holly anywhere else for grooming, check their drying methods before you book her in.
It's what I meant a few posts back, but I call them cabinet dryers.
Like I said, it is careless and negligent if a dog gets burnt, and could Holly off being groomed the next time.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Clumsy, that is horrendous. I'd have been livid if I caught anyone treating mine like that!
Believe me Mups, Mr Clumsy was more than livid and evidently had a right go at the stupid girl who was trying to dry her. Anna apologised, but that really wasn't good enough. The excuse was "it was the first time the girl had been allowed to dry a dog". ChoCho was just a baby then and she was really traumatised. We have never taken her there again, and never will. We know people who do take their dogs there and we know there are still complaints. The trouble is, I think, Anna herself is money motivated, she also has two small children now and it's other people who are doing the grooming.

Very recently one of our neighbours, who has two small dogs, asked where we took ChoCho because one of their dogs had been bitten by another dog whilst waiting in the queue. Anna had evidently taken Rosa, the little dog, to her husband's surgery to have the bite checked. Mary, the neighbour, was told this when she went to pick up the dogs. However she and her husband were not at all happy about the bite, which was on the back of Rosa's neck, and took her to another Vet who put two stitches in the bite. Rosa won't be going there again.

I wouldn't take ChoCho anywhere where they have dogs queued up to be dealt with. We have an appointment time to take her and we are told what time we can pick her up again, usually around an hour and a half later. Fingers crossed ChoCho has always been well treated, not stressed and looks lovely when we collect her.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
She and her set up sound wonderful!
It is quite impressive Jazzi. It was a pet shop originally when the boulevard first opened. Last year the pet shop closed and a couple of months later reopened by a new company. No pets sold there, but they do have a catalogue of pets for adoption from various rescue centres. Other than that it's all pet foods, toys, leads, car harnesses, etc etc. The back half of the shop has been refurbished as the grooming centre. The grooming woman has her certificates on the wall, just like the Vets and the bathing area and drying room is quite impressive. I was also asked if ChoCho had any allergic reactions to shampoos, was she prone to snapping or biting and did I want her cut by machine (electric clipper things presumably) or scissors.

So up to now ChoCho's visits there have been a success, she is booked in on Wednesday for a trim, bath etc. Prices are charged by size of dog, the full works for ChoCho is 13 euros, which amazed me. We thought we were doing well at 21 euros ! You can also take your dog just for a bath, prices for that start at 3.75 euros. However, just a bath I can manage, but no way would I ever be confident enough to give her a hair cut. I'd be terrified of taking hair off her face, especially around her eyes.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

12-01-2018, 08:48 AM

Blimey Loretta...what fantastic prices! At my vet, where there is a salon, the first price is just for a wash, and is Ģ15.

I was willing to pay that but as it turned out had to do her myself.

Page 15 of 25 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top