Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 12:54 PM

Re: Archery

Glad to see your enjoying your achery Arthur, a hobby i did for many years, but had to be put on the backburner due to working away a lot.

Does your club shoot Frostbites and Clouts, always found them fun to participate in.
Teabags
New Member!
arctic circle
Teabags is male 

11-03-2013, 03:27 PM

It is good to put back into a sport by teaching and mentoring etc. My son was the reason I got back into the sport. He was looking for something to do after baseball and wanted to give it a try. I got him into a coaching course at my old club and he hasnt looked back. He shot at Las Vagas last year in the international indoor competition as a compound shooter and now has converted to Recurve in an attempt to get to the Olympics. Its a big ask but he is keen. He has been working for about two years for Archery South Australia (our governing body) as a coach going round to schools with a trailer full of equipment teaching kids the basics like Janela's son. He has found it very rewarding. If I can offer anyone any archery advise not to say I know all but ill try and assist if i can.
Bob
Teabags
New Member!
arctic circle
Teabags is male 

11-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Hey Grouse, Like clout. 200m for us compound shooters. What are frostbites? Might have another name for that here. Lol. Bob
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 05:15 PM

At the moment our indoor range is too cold, so folks don't go so much.
You are lucky Bob to have the weather you do, but we cope.
I shoot 20metres indoors at a small target like a crossbow. I use a recurve Hoyt bow, and the same for outdoor at 180 metre for clout shooting.
We find the small target sharpens us up, try it it is fun.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2013, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Teabags ->
Hey Grouse, Like clout. 200m for us compound shooters. What are frostbites? Might have another name for that here. Lol. Bob
Its a postal round shot outside during the winter months, these days i think its 3 dozen arrows at 30mts. usually the score sent in is acumalative score from 4 archers.

If you get the day wrong you can get some awful conditions, ive watched snow building up on my arrow while lining up the shot
Teabags
New Member!
arctic circle
Teabags is male 

12-03-2013, 04:18 AM

Our indoor club shoots at a community centre which is air conditioned. We shoot Australian and Fita rounds at 18 and 25m. At 18 we use a 40cm face and at 25 a 60cm one. Some compounders use a triple target so as to not damage too many arrows. Have a look at the pics ive posted. I found when i started shooting indoors it really made me concentrate on the 10 ring. Drop a point and your not going to get it back. I shoot a Hoyt katera. About 5 years old and off the market. Its a parallel limb compound. I shoot 49lb with 80% let off. My son shot a hoyt compound at 60lb and now like you has a hoyt riser and cheaper limbs while he is strengthening up. He actually has a new set of higher poundage limbs still cheap ones (34lb which is 42lb at his 31inch draw length) which he is using for exercise only till his muscles are ready for a full shoot. He says then he will get some real powerful ones. Oh to be young.
Teabags
New Member!
arctic circle
Teabags is male 

12-03-2013, 05:33 AM

Thanks for the description Grouse. In afraid we couldn't shoot that round here we would have to shoot it indoors in a freezer. Closest we snow here is hail and we need to order that in advance Lol. Cant imagine shooting all rugged up. Id have to change my form so my string didn't rip my buttons off or some such.
Grouse
planet earth

12-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Hi Robert, lucky you no snow , i used to shoot a Hoyt recurve, no compounds around at that time. I eventually moved to a handmade bow, by a Boyer at Kelso, he used exotic woods and built them to order, mine was 42ilb`s at full draw, a very sweet and forgiving bow.

At the time we shot mainly English rounds, the main one being the York, 6 dozen at 100 yds, 4 dozen at 80 yds, and 2 dozen at 60yds. Or the St George, 3 dozen at each of the above.

Our Portsmouth, was shot at 20 yds and was 5 dozen. Clouts were a laugh 3 dozen at 180 yds, at least i got a decent walk.

Towards the end i shot a few Fita tournaments, and managed a Fita Star ist class, held at a stately home, (Harwood House) quite bizarre as it has an area for exotic birds and occasionally the odd Macaw fly through.

The only weather we ever packed up in was thunder and lightning, not a good idea to be standing in the open like a lightning conductor
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 09:56 AM

Sadly Bob, my pull is going down, I am not as strong as I was once, but never mind I have to try.
I am pulling 25 pound and really if I cant pull more I might have to give it all up, if my illness gets worse.
I do exercise 4 times a week.
Teabags
New Member!
arctic circle
Teabags is male 

12-03-2013, 10:23 AM

When I suffered my brain injury my brain couldnt efficiently control my muscles and i dropped from 52 down to 36lb and let off from 65 to 80% and I could only shoot 30 arrows before i collapsed. Making these changes at least kept me shooting and as i recovered i built the poundage back up and im at about 49 now. I know im biased but with a compound once your past the peak of the initial draw your hold is low and if your unable to get back to recurve it might be an option for you. I also went to a back tension release and lighter arrows to reduce the effect of the shakes on my release. With all this ive now beaten my pre brain injury be 10 points at 18m indoor. Stick with it and be flexible if you are keen top shoot.

Bob

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top