Join for free
Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:03 AM

Re: Women and attire

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bakerman are you saying we are out of shape and need to exercise???
I'm simply saying there are literally no end to the possibilities for a woman to entertain her self. Do you happen to notice I mentioned classes at the local University ?
Please don't read things into my posts that I did NOT say. Guys go to the gym, go jogging, play tennis. Is there some special reason why women need to be any different ?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I'm simply saying there are literally no end to the possibilities for a woman to entertain her self. Do you happen to notice I mentioned classes at the local University ?
Please don't read things into my posts that I did NOT say. Guys go to the gym, go jogging, play tennis. Is there some special reason why women need to be any different ?
it was tongue-in-cheek - did you see the wink?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:14 AM

Hey ! slow down. This is supposed to be a light topic. At least that's how I meant it. Smile. Have a sense of humor ?
I understand you intended this to be lighthearted but Im sorry to say you have opened a can of worms...

Body image is a huge problem and the problem is getting younger and younger.
My daughter ( now 28) who is and always was slightly built came home from school and told me she couldnt have a treat because she was fat..
I was astonsished..I asked her what made her think that and she said one of the girl in her class told her if you cannot close your thumb and middle finger around your wrist its because you are fat.

I told her that had more to do with the size of your hands than the size of your waist but she was visibly upset by what the other girls had said.

However when I bought up the subject at a PTA meeting the teacher (male) brushed it off and said it must have been something she had seen in one of my magazines at home..

I explained to him in very clear terms that I didnt read trashy magazines only books but he insisted that it was nothing to do with him or school and dismissed my concerns. ( I know that at least two of her class mates are in ongoing treatment for eating disorders)
Trying to tell a 30 something male that small girls were already showing concerning signs of negative body image went way over his head.

The rot is deep and although this thread was lighthearted it has shown just how thin the veneer of female confidence in themselves has become thanks to the constant pressure we feel and the negative way we are made to feel about oursleves.

Liberation is a powerful word, sadly it has had very little real impact in any positive way on the vast majority of women who still feel forced to conform to age old stereotyping.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You don't see men walking around in the freezing cold on a Saturday night out wearing heels and a miniskirt that barely covers their underwear.... Many young women do dress like this on a night out even though it's freezing they don't take a coat.
Annie have you forgotten what it's like to be young ?
Passsion heats the blood .
And if they are going dancing they will be warm enough
Having said that I haven't seen any young women dressed like that then I don't really go out on a Saturday night to places where I would see young people .
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Must be the sort women you associate with Bakerman .
Bakerman
No need to get personal.
At age 71, I'm out of the picture. I entertain myself. But I'm not blind. I see the women's magazines at the check-out counter. I see women where ever I go: Grocery shopping, walking down the street, to the mall etc etc. But I never, ever have seen a man dragging a woman into the female clothing section. I see women shopping alone and in pairs. They look like they are having one heck of a good time.
When I want a pair of jeans I get in and out as fast as I can. My wife would spend hours in a large department store.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I understand you intended this to be lighthearted but Im sorry to say you have opened a can of worms...

Body image is a huge problem and the problem is getting younger and younger.
My daughter ( now 28) who is and always was slightly built came home from school and told me she couldnt have a treat because she was fat..
I was astonsished..I asked her what made her think that and she said one of the girl in her class told her if you cannot close your thumb and middle finger around your wrist its because you are fat.

I told her that had more to do with the size of your hands than the size of your waist but she was visibly upset by what the other girls had said.

However when I bought up the subject at a PTA meeting the teacher (male) brushed it off and said it must have been something she had seen in one of my magazines at home..

I explained to him in very clear terms that I didnt read trashy magazines only books but he insisted that it was nothing to do with him or school and dismissed my concerns. ( I know that at least two of her class mates are in ongoing treatment for eating disorders)
Trying to tell a 30 something male that small girls were already showing concerning signs of negative body image went way over his head.

The rot is deep and although this thread was lighthearted it has shown just how thin the veneer of female confidence in themselves has become thanks to the constant pressure we feel and the negative way we are made to feel about oursleves.

Liberation is a powerful word, sadly it has had very little real impact in any positive way on the vast majority of women who still feel forced to conform to age old stereotyping.

I do feel sorry for young girls who have the likes of Cindy Crawfords impossibly slender and beautiful daughter ( Kaia Gerber )held up as models at 16. The girl is blessed by her genetic heritage .
Most young girls are not like that sometimes I think all these gay designers design for women who have the figures of boys .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

24-09-2017, 10:24 AM

Bakerman
Men force their bored spouses to take to the malls for entertainment? Force ? Men have no problems entertaining themselves with all manner of interests. Why shouldn't women be the same? How many different women's groups are in your area ? Dozens ? Hundreds ? How about tennis, the gym, jogging, yoga, aerobics ? Classes at the local U. My goodness the list is endless.
Women being multi talkers can do that anyway as well as buy clothes.
Maybe they want to go out as a couple appropriately dressed ?
bakerman
Mexico

24-09-2017, 10:30 AM

Muddy wrote
Most young girls are not like that sometimes I think all these gay designers design for women who have the figures of boys .[/QUOTE]
bakerman
Bingo ! Quite true. But what about the female fashion designer giants like Coco Chanel. I'm not up on the latest trendy designers, but I'm willing to bet that many of them are women.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 10:54 AM

I'm like the women Muddy discribes , I dress for the weather

Mostly that's jeans and boots and jumpers. Sometimes it's jeans sandals and tees

I had to buy a dress last year. Dress , handbag , shoes, fascinator. I had to get my hair done, had to be plucked to an inch of my life and polished and made up, and I hated every minute of it and did actually burst into tears at the hairdressers. The only reason I put myself through it was it was our daughters wedding

My idea of hell is clothes shopping. I hate it with a passion and if I need anything new it gets picked up when supermarket shopping

Mr Missy on the other hand loves his designer clothes. A double wardrobe full of shirts, polo and rugby shirts, trousers and jeans. Drawers full of jumpers and underwear. Two shelves in the bathroom of toiletries His car is always new and top of the range. It's kept in showroom condition

He's a builder and spends most of the week in ripped, stained tatty old clothes

I spend most of the week in wellies and waterproofs
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2017, 11:15 AM

If you asked me to choose between clothes shopping, going to an art gallery or a garden centre. Clothes shopping would definitely get a miss. I can't bear it! To me it's a wasted, inane task!
I put more emphasis on my hair and make up looking nice, not what l wear!
I occasionally, buy classic styles of clothing, a job lot in the sales and that does me!
Besides, it's not the clothes you wear, it's the smile you wear!

Page 4 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top