Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 07:24 PM

Re: Are you a hugger? I love you!

Nope, not a hugger, never have been, never will be, (except maybe my kids when they were small).

I feel it to be an invasion of my personal space. And hugging makes me feel uncomfortable.

My mother in law is a hugger and she would try to do it to me when I first married her son. In the end I had to tell her "please don't do that, it makes me uncomfortable".

Probably once again linked to the fact I'm a miserable cow
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 07:49 PM

So many great replies......

When I come to the UK, I will remember to be ready to shake hands (except if I see Boozer, then I'll be prepared for anything....)

I have a good friend who goes to the UK every year and she is always after me to come with her. She goes to London as she has friends and family there. She would probably give me instructions ahead of time, "now remember Blue, don't go around telling any of my friends that you love them and you want a big hug, it will embarass me to tears", hahahahaha
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 07:51 PM

PS: She came to visit me one day and we ran into a friend of mine out on the street. I introduced him to her, he held out his hand to shake hers, and she just kept right on talking away as if nothing else was happening, and she didn't shake his hand.

I laughed so hard at that.....

Hey I just thought of a new thread "laughing".
I am a laugher, I laugh every day with someone or about something I see on TV, or an the phone, I love to laugh.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:13 PM

Being totally uninhibited in showing your emotions can make other people wary of you in the same way that being very inhibited and shying away from physical contact can.
Both extremes can cause awkwardness in others.

Hugging is good but used selectively, surely?
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Boozercruiser this is what you said? But I would rather be like that than be inhibited and cold and unable to show love and affection.
I think that is rather sad.

Not labelling others who have said they don't hug etc?
I will rephrase . Indicating as opposed to labelling.
Why is this thing about showing feelings counted as being something to be proud of ?
I have neither the time or the inclination to try and justify myself to you Zu.
But never mind.
Here is a hug for you.
Take it or leave it!
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

07-02-2018, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
I have neither the time or the inclination to try and justify myself to you Zu.
But never mind.
Here is a hug for you.
Take it or leave it!
What about me Booz, I'll take one of your special hugs.....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:24 PM

Not for me thanks all the same .
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
Going out now Blue for another evening in Llandudno.
There is a coach load of Liverpool Scousers there.

But special hugs?

I will give you one anytime!

PS
Haven't managed to upload the one with me on it yet.

Here's from last night.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
A Boozy Hug? Think we've all had one of those.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:48 PM

I am a selective hugger generally,but sometimes the need to hug comes over me and I just have to do it. I think I have become more physical as I have got older - perhaps softer and more sentimental? .
As an aside I saw a child today in a shopping trolley (about 18months/2 years old). I wondered what he was doing as his face looked ecstatic and so wrapped up with something in his hands. It turned out to be a little plastic rabbit and he was loving it - talking to it and and cuddling it with every bone in his little body. He was so natural and happy with his toy/companion rabbit - he was really loving this little plastic rabbit and I suspect this demonstration of love follows through into his life with people and animals. He was obviously loved himself and found it easy to love in return. It was so touching and I wanted to reach out and hug him (but I didn't). His happiness stayed with me all day and seeing him made me happy.
Hugging and physical contact is good for us - essential even - and I think we all need to give it and receive it in varying measures at different times no matter what age we are. Experiments on monkeys(particularly the infants) shows that they cannot thrive if they are deprived of this contact and need to cuddle up and give and receive physical contact. It's pretty basic really. Humans are not much different IMO.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top