Join for free
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 04:57 PM

Credit Union

Does anyone on here save with a Credit Union? I am thinking of using a Credit Union to save for any emergencies etc in the future. Any info most welcome thanks
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 05:47 PM

Re: Credit Union

Never heard of a Cradit Union, Doc, please excuse me - I will have to go and 'google'!
Enya
Suffolk
Enya is female  Enya has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 06:02 PM

A credit union is similar to a bank, with current accounts, loans (but not a high percentage repayment as pay day loans) savings account. The loans are usually funded by the savings side and some pay out interest or a dividend on a savings account. Best to google the details on the company your joining
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Does anyone on here save with a Credit Union? I am thinking of using a Credit Union to save for any emergencies etc in the future. Any info most welcome thanks
I'm thinking about it, too.

My local CU paid out at 2.5% in 2014 and 2.25% last year, but I understand that the rate will be lower again for the current year.

Still, that beats ordinary savings accounts and ISAs and it keeps the money out of the hands of bankers.....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2016, 06:44 PM

Hi

We had a Credit Union at work, I found it very good.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2016, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
I do and have done for years. It used to be BHP Credit Union then it combined with BP Credit Union and became Big Sky Credit Union.

It was great because you own part of it by having 10 shares ($10) - it is a credit union of members. Interest rates they pay on your savings are higher than the banks offer and interest rates you pay on loans and mortgages are lower than the banks offer because they are a non profit organisation.

Unfortunately Big Sky has been recently taken over by Australian Unity and the service element seems to have declined somewhat. However if I change it will be to go to another Credit Union.

Highly recommend them.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top