Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:48 PM

Do you pay gas and electric by direct debit?

I am furious with N Power because last year they tried to Increase my monthly payment, even though I was in credit by around £200. I called them and said I would not make the increased payment, because I was well aware that charging people more than they should is designed to boost their coffers. They admitted they were wrong, apologized and reduced the payments to the amount I had been paying .
I told them that I knew they were ripping people off and said they should make sure they don't do it again!

This morning I received the new payment, that was expected, and noticed an increase of £ 42 per month, so I worked out what my expected usage would be, and how much I would be paying to them and, including this years credit of £130, my bill next year would be £667 in credit...... so I phoned again.

I have a good tariff with them, but I am not going to let them have the benefit of taking money that I do not owe to them. A complaint has been reported to their feedback section and I have told them that if this happens again I will move to another supplier. I also mentioned there could only be 2 reasons for this to happen.... 1) their staff are unable to work out the correct figure or 2) they are trying to rip off customers by using their money to invest in N Powers accounts.
I believe it is reason 2, as they try this with all D/D customers... so the amount could be millions!

Please check your account with them and make sure they are not trying the same with you, if you pay by direct debit
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Re: Do you pay gas and electric by direct debit?

twink
thats nothing

When at the kennels we had a letter from them (NPower) saying I was dead. They regretted my demise then said they demanded payment from my estate .

So I rang them up and said "what is it like talking to a dead person"

Got £25 compensation from them for their error, better than a final demand I suppose
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 01:56 PM

British Gas have been pretty fair with us IMO they often say we need to put the dd up but one phone call is all it takes to get it reduced back to the correct amount and they've never taken more than I've agreed to. I'd be furious if they did that.

Only thing bothering me at the moment, is the service contract it's an annual service they are supposed to do a service each year but we've noticed they have 13 or 14 months in their year because when we started it was always due in September, now it got right round to February this year. That to me is a bit of a cheat !
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:00 PM

Just had mine from Eon and they are reducing my direct debit but I can't remember by how much.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
British Gas have been pretty fair with us IMO they often say we need to put the dd up but one phone call is all it takes to get it reduced back to the correct amount and they've never taken more than I've agreed to. I'd be furious if they did that.

Only thing bothering me at the moment, is the service contract it's an annual service they are supposed to do a service each year but we've noticed they have 13 or 14 months in their year because when we started it was always due in September, now it got right round to February this year. That to me is a bit of a cheat !
British Gas are as bad as the rest Julie ... they have been doing it for years! Of course they can't increase your direct debit, if you tell them not to, but I had to spend 30 minutes in the phone this morning......because N Power were so busy. Most people who work full time can't spare that time, on the phone, just to point out that their figures are not
correct!
If they service your heating boiler beware! Every time they came out to mine they said the boiler would soon need to be replaced ( a sly attempt to sell you a new boiler). The last time they came they said it was unsafe and switched it off, because I told them that I wouldn't be buying a new one from them. I then got 2 different expert CORGI men out to check it. Both told me it was perfectly alright and British Gas did this all the time to make money on selling new boilers. That same boiler is still perfectly safe 10 years later
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

03-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Just had mine from Eon and they are reducing my direct debit but I can't remember by how much.
Thanks Purwell, they sound like an honest bunch if I have to change!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

03-01-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
twink
thats nothing

When at the kennels we had a letter from them (NPower) saying I was dead. They regretted my demise then said they demanded payment from my estate .

So I rang them up and said "what is it like talking to a dead person"

Got £25 compensation from them for their error, better than a final demand I suppose
Realspeed, when they answered the phone did they say " Is there anybody there"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:59 PM

They've told us ours is obsolete for a decade I always say that's a shame we aren't changing it and they just agree it's a good boiler but they had to try.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 04:01 PM

If you use OVO, they give 3% interest on overpaid balances.........it's worth paying extra for that!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 05:07 PM

Twink, same happens to me every February. Mine is up for renewal any time now.

Every year they increase it hugely, even though I have always been in credit.
Like you, I have to phone them and argue, and tell them I'm not paying it and that's that!

Before I phone, I sit and work out what my bills have been over the last 12 months, add a bit more for any increase, then divide it by 12 months. That is the new direct debit amount I am paying and not a penny more!

Eventually they always agree with me, and reduce it again.
It just annoys me having to fight them every year because they are pulling a fast one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top