Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 08:53 PM

Back in the saddle!

About 3 months have passed since my hip injury, and very luckily the pain has diminished to the point that I am now back to about 90% back to pre-injury condition. Not sure whether it's the passage of time and just the natural healing process, or because of conservative treatment which has included anti-inflammatories, hip strengthening and stretching exercise, and activity modification, specifically not doing any twisting or pivoting motions that would otherwise aggravate the injury.

Other good news is that I quit taking celebrex on the hunch that I didn't need it anymore, and it's now been nearly a week and there is literally no difference between being on it or off it, and the pain continues to subside daily two very manageable levels.

My doctor also said it should be perfectly fine if I continue unicycling since compared to walking there is no impact as long as I'm just riding conservatively and not doing anything crazy. So I have been back to my normal riding schedule, and decided to take my big 36 in unicycle off road for a trail ride.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 10:48 PM

Re: Back in the saddle!

Oh it's the unicycle fella! Well done on your recovery bud
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a unicycle anywhere except in a circus maybe? I'll have to read that old thread you had again I think. It's a rather interesting and quirky pastime
UniGeezer
California, USA
UniGeezer is male  UniGeezer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2018, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Oh it's the unicycle fella! Well done on your recovery bud
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on a unicycle anywhere except in a circus maybe? I'll have to read that old thread you had again I think. It's a rather interesting and quirky pastime
Thanks, but this type of unicycling is an actual legitimate sport that has been around for more than 20 years now. There are numerous unicycling sporting events held throughout the world yearly, and while it is not nearly as widespread or as well known as mountain biking, it is still every bit as much of a sport as our two-wheeled cousins. It's also much more challenging and requires the greater degree of athletic ability and constant Focus on balance Corrections thereby making it also a much better and faster way to get physically fit. We love it for these reasons plus the fact that it's just so much fun and of course very unique.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 12:16 AM

I'm pleased to hear you've recovered from your hip injury and back on your 'wheel', Terry

Safe riding!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by UniGeezer ->
Thanks, but this type of unicycling is an actual legitimate sport that has been around for more than 20 years now. There are numerous unicycling sporting events held throughout the world yearly, and while it is not nearly as widespread or as well known as mountain biking, it is still every bit as much of a sport as our two-wheeled cousins. It's also much more challenging and requires the greater degree of athletic ability and constant Focus on balance Corrections thereby making it also a much better and faster way to get physically fit. We love it for these reasons plus the fact that it's just so much fun and of course very unique.
It's a very interesting sport anyway bud. Did you practice at the skills needed for unicycling or do you have a natural gift for it, good with balance etc?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 03:39 AM

Congratulations on getting back on one wheel!

You set a great example for how to effectively resolve an injury. I hope your hip behaves and the inflammation stays in check.
UniGeezer
California, USA

08-02-2018, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I'm pleased to hear you've recovered from your hip injury and back on your 'wheel', Terry

Safe riding!
Thanks it's good to be riding again, but minus the extreme stuff. And if I do start to feel a little overconfident to try something a little too extreme, a voice inside keeps reminding me, "hey you're not a kid of 50 anymore, so don't push your luck!"

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
It's a very interesting sport anyway bud. Did you practice at the skills needed for unicycling or do you have a natural gift for it, good with balance etc?
Anyone who can ride a bike can learn how to ride a unicycle, and I especially love hearing from folks who thought they were too old to ride (and they range in age from just 35 to around my age) but then told me after seeing some of my videos that they decided to learn.

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Congratulations on getting back on one wheel! Thanks!

You set a great example for how to effectively resolve an injury. I hope your hip behaves and the inflammation stays in check.
Thanks, yeah it seems as long as I don't twist or overly rotate my hip it's okay. I've also been using my inversion table which also seems to have helped a lot in addition to some basic hip strengthening exercises and stretching.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 08:36 AM

Hey - welcome back - I am glad you are recovering well !
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2018, 10:40 AM

I often wonder why you post on here UG, because the only thing you ever post about is you and your unicycling, I have never seen you contribute to anyone else's thread about any other subject.. Even while you've been laid up and had plenty of time you haven't bothered joining in, so why grace us with your presence now ? Just asking....
UniGeezer
California, USA

08-02-2018, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hey - welcome back - I am glad you are recovering well !
Thanks Silver Tabby!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top