Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:04 PM

Re: Seed sowing

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I will use a mixture. For compost I use the Which best buy from B & Q own brand Verve.

Sorry Meg, I meant do you use a multi-purpose or a John Innes or a special vegetable or container compost?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Meg, I meant do you use a multi-purpose or a John Innes or a special vegetable or container compost?
Mups I use multi purpose for everything mixed with stuff from the raised beds which is a mixture of garden soil/horse manure/compost from my bin .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I use multi purpose for everything mixed with stuff from the raised beds which is a mixture of garden soil/horse manure/compost from my bin .

Ah, OK, thank you.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2018, 09:12 PM

I sowed my first seeds today. It's always a lottery here with timing because we can have really bad frosts until the middle of May. We have a greenhouse but we have to use a gas heater over night a lot of the time to break the frost. All that aside, I'm still really looking forward to the gardening year
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

15-03-2018, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
I sowed my first seeds today. It's always a lottery here with timing because we can have really bad frosts until the middle of May. We have a greenhouse but we have to use a gas heater over night a lot of the time to break the frost. All that aside, I'm still really looking forward to the gardening year

Me too, Kev.
I have sown my tomatoe seeds, and some Lobelia, Cineraria, and two lots of Primroses so far.
I have cheated and ordered some bedding plug plants as well though.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 07:34 AM

I'm sowing my tomatoes today Mups. Tomatoes, cucumbers and lettuce are the most important for us. We grill a lot in summer and a fresh garden salad is a highlight. We can't wait.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 08:13 AM

Still too early for me. But some seeds like to freeze a bit before they germinate.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 08:49 AM

My first seedlings are now through, tomatoes, cucumber, aubergine and sweet pepper in the house and my first sowing of sugar snap peas in the garden. I've also set some salad veg seeds out in the raised beds, but I'm not expecting a quick germination out there ...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

16-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
My first seedlings are now through, tomatoes, cucumber, aubergine and sweet pepper in the house and my first sowing of sugar snap peas in the garden. I've also set some salad veg seeds out in the raised beds, but I'm not expecting a quick germination out there ...

Barry, are your seedsling indoors or in a greenhouse?
The only thing that worries me a bit is they tend to go leggy on the windowsills, no matter how much I turn them.
When I pot the tomatoes on, I will bury them deep, but it's still annoying to see them shooting up all long and thin.
What do you do?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2018, 11:04 AM

They are just on the windowsill Mups, but after the initial growth spurt I put them in the greenhouse and just protect them from any forecast frosts...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top