Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 02:41 AM

Re: Seed sowing

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Barry, are your seedsling indoors or in a greenhouse?
The only thing that worries me a bit is they tend to go leggy on the windowsills, no matter how much I turn them.
When I pot the tomatoes on, I will bury them deep, but it's still annoying to see them shooting up all long and thin.
What do you do?
Originally Posted by Mups ->
Thanks Barry.
Is your greenhouse heated?

We've got another cold snap from tonight and over the weekend forecast, so I daren't put anything out just yet.
I’ve got a greenhouse ( just built it last year) but it isn’t heated so seeding in there is a bit too soon. What I did was purchase a mini greenhouse to use inside it. I use a light soiless mix for my seedlings. Like yourself, I don’t like my seedlings getting all leggy. It creates weak plants and they become susceptible to stem rot and stuff so the window sill thing won’t cut it .

I very much enjoy gardening since it contributes to holistic living.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2FD0C058-FC3E-40F8-9439-0FA20ED43FC8.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	5534   Click image for larger version

Name:	8F51BAB8-815F-4E39-A9A4-ED304D2A40FB.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	5535  
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Know the feeling about finding space for a greenhouse. I did manage to find a company that made a 5x4 ft glass/metal frame one which fitted just right where an old log shed was which I took down.
Sue was going to have one of those plastic sheet covered ones but i said no get a proper one on none at all
My problem was finding one that fitted between the fence and and the vine

As space was tight it took some finding for the small plastic storage unit which, after a lot of measuring beforehand, just fitted into the space as shown. That left a small area behind to put the large pots in out of the way

having even a small greenhouse makes all the difference. Plants can be brought on that much earlier ready for planting.
Way to go Realspeed. Nice work mate.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2018, 10:59 AM

thank you Bratti. Sue "er indoors" was all for getting one of those horrible plastic ones but i put my foot down with a hard hand. I said if we are having a green house then it would be a proper one.

I did a bit on the build and how I went about it in the link. post no 18

link

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...t=51739&page=2

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top