Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:13 AM

Shrub suggestions.

Hello I need some advice please from our resident gardeners if you would be so kind

What I am looking for is suggestions for a shrub that will tolerate living in a big outside pot that will grow quite quickly to about a metre plus in height that is quite bushy it will be sited in a partially sunny spot facing West and basically be a wind break for my Acer collection.....

Suggestions please.. TY
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:25 AM

Re: Shrub suggestions.

The best advice is to go to a good garden centre and see what they suggest is best, not only for your area but also the type of soil that is in your garden or going to use. that as well as which composte suits which plant best
As well as that it also depends on where you plan to put the shrub, it could be in daylight- sheltered - poor sunlight etc.

Also as the neighbours what they find is best that meets your requirements

You may find in the future you want to take it out of a pot and plant it in the garden so that needs considering as well.

We looked at the camellia, different types grow to different sizes which might meet your needs
Ours seem to be doing ok since we planted it only a few days ago, but this is the 6ft variety

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 09:41 AM

Here's a few to look through Basser.
See if any there take your fancy.

https://search.thompson-morgan.com/s...For-Containers
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 01:08 PM

How about a Laurel?

If you have a B&Q nearby, I would check their garden department as I find they are the cheapest at the moment for buying a decent sized plant.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
The best advice is to go to a good garden centre and see what they suggest is best, not only for your area but also the type of soil that is in your garden or going to use. that as well as which composte suits which plant best
As well as that it also depends on where you plan to put the shrub, it could be in daylight- sheltered - poor sunlight etc.

Also as the neighbours what they find is best that meets your requirements

You may find in the future you want to take it out of a pot and plant it in the garden so that needs considering as well.

We looked at the camellia, different types grow to different sizes which might meet your needs
Ours seem to be doing ok since we planted it only a few days ago, but this is the 6ft variety

Sorry Realspeed, but I think that's much too close to the fence surely? All the lovely buds will get scraped off if it's windy, and how are you going to prune behind it, - or paint your fence?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 02:52 PM

Mups I agree, but she who must be obeyed wanted that close so it would spread sideways. her words not mine
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 03:12 PM

I have several different Spireas. They are pretty and spread nicely.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 05:25 PM

Thankyou for your suggestions OFF' ers , I have spent some time considering and researching all your suggestions, and have decided to get a Laurel which seems to tick all the boxes with an added bonus of having the leaves for culinary delights.

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated ....Basser
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
Thankyou for your suggestions OFF' ers , I have spent some time considering and researching all your suggestions, and have decided to get a Laurel which seems to tick all the boxes with an added bonus of having the leaves for culinary delights.

Thank you for taking the time to reply much appreciated ....Basser

Basser, have a quick look at this:

Are laurel leaves toxic?

"Also known as English laurel or common laurel, cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) is an innocuous-looking small tree or large shrub that is commonly used as a hedging, specimen or border plant. Ingesting any part of the poisonous plant, especially the leaves or seeds, can cause potentially fatal respiratory problems."

Make sure it is a Bay Tree you get if you want to use it in cooking!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Basser, have a quick look at this:

Are laurel leaves toxic?

"Also known as English laurel or common laurel, cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) is an innocuous-looking small tree or large shrub that is commonly used as a hedging, specimen or border plant. Ingesting any part of the poisonous plant, especially the leaves or seeds, can cause potentially fatal respiratory problems."

Make sure it is a Bay Tree you get if you want to use it in cooking!
Didn't know that Mups. thanks for pointing out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top