Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 07:54 PM

Re: Garden Waste

Our Council aren't charging any extra for the green waste, up to now. But have reduced the times they come, it's now every weeks. I live alone and most weeks probably only throw about a carrier-bag full of general rubbish away. So the wheelie bin only needs to be emptied every few months. Whereas i've got a big garden and the green waste bin is always full. When there was talk of an extra charge it annoyed me 'cos there isn't an extra charge for the general waste, and i'm hardly using that.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a gardener but doesn't garden waste go into a composting heap or bin to be mulched down and used again as compost etc.
not all "garden waste" can be mulched down,. branches and twigs are a good example. Plant roots also can be too thick as well.

leafs and grass and small plants with some household stuff like potato peelings can be added
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:12 PM

Typical Tara, if they can't get away with putting up the council tax too much they just start charging for something that was otherwise free or incorporated in the council tax.
I can remember some years ago when the water rates were part of the general rate.
Watch this space....In years to come waste removal will not be part of the council tax bill, and charged separately...
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
not all "garden waste" can be mulched down,. branches and twigs are a good example. Plant roots also can be too thick as well.

leafs and grass and small plants with some household stuff like potato peelings can be added
All my garden waste also go down to my allotment.

Including branches and twigs and are burnt...the ashes are good for the ground.

My allotment costs £30 a year.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:29 PM

The IoW council have decreed that the dump will be open from 1000-1600. Fly tippers rejoice !

I used to grind all branches etc and scatter the spoils under the shrubs. Formed a nice free mulch.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 09:44 PM

We still have free collections of garden and food waste, well not free of course because it's included in the council tax.
If they started charging I know what I'd do. We have a fairly large area hidden behind some trees and our shed. It can all go in there. It will eventually rot down and feed the trees, and the council can go and take a running jump!
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2018, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
The IoW council have decreed that the dump will be open from 1000-1600. Fly tippers rejoice !

I used to grind all branches etc and scatter the spoils under the shrubs. Formed a nice free mulch.
That's just winter opening hours isn't it? Current opening hours are 8.30 to 5 pm but I think those are extended as demand grows.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 12:02 AM

It is £55 per year here, and fortnightly collections.

I pay it because the facilities at the local council tip changed and it is not so easy to go there now. It also saves me humping heavy, dirty sacks about in my car too.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 03:06 AM

We have a garden dustbin incinerator (£ 20 B&Q) and all our garden waste newspapers junk mail goes in that, every couple of weeks we have a bonfire and then dig in all the ashes .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not a gardener but doesn't garden waste go into a composting heap or bin to be mulched down and used again as compost etc.
My previous recycling centre used to make bags of soil improver and sell them at their site. It depends on the area and the company because not all recycling centres are council run.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top