Join for free
Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 08:54 PM

Re: Not going well for Trade deals.

I'm not so sure about how we could have influenced decisions in the EU, even if our politicians had been more able.

We are one of 28 countries represented in the EU Parliament and we are only one of 28 on the EU Commission.

Our effectiveness and influence would depend completely on how many others agreed with us.

Going by the Eurovision Song Contest results for many years past, it is my guess that we wouldn't have much support at all.

And don't imagine that the ESC is anything to do with music! It is a clear indication of which country is 'friends' with which other country!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 10:08 PM

"we the people"? What are you - a yank?

Well Britain has a delegated democracy. Our politicians are elected because they are deemed to have better judgement than us overwashed masses.

If you see Brexit as some "people's revolution", think again. It won't happen, it will be "Brexit lite". It's pretty clear all those in power are seeing it in the light of day now and all the complexities and cost are giving them the heebie-jeebies bigtime.

You know Brexit times are getting desperate when they put JRM on a 9am slot on lbc. I mean what a way to give people indigestion first thing.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I'm not so sure about how we could have influenced decisions in the EU, even if our politicians had been more able.

We are one of 28 countries represented in the EU Parliament and we are only one of 28 on the EU Commission.

Our effectiveness and influence would depend completely on how many others agreed with us.

Going by the Eurovision Song Contest results for many years past, it is my guess that we wouldn't have much support at all.

And don't imagine that the ESC is anything to do with music! It is a clear indication of which country is 'friends' with which other country!
Yeah well you see us Brits as being un-influential and pathetic. Totally unpatriotic imo.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2018, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yeah well you see us Brits as being un-influential and pathetic. Totally unpatriotic imo.
The evidence speaks for itself.

I feel that you live in Cloud Cuckoo Land, imagining that the EU are our friends.

Try to look beyond the end of your nose for once.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

16-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The evidence speaks for itself.

I feel that you live in Cloud Cuckoo Land, imagining that the EU are our friends.

Try to look beyond the end of your nose for once.
You live in cloud cuckoo land if you think that we are that helpless and useless. There are plenty of very capable people here they are just not in Government. They will influence what happens in the end and ensure we don't have a car crash because of those who want to drag us back to the dark ages of the early 70s when people had no money, no choices and no real freedom.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2018, 08:17 AM

Those scumbag 'nasty party' politicians that stated that they could replace our exports to the EU with a similar export rate to the Commonwealth have been proved to be lying through their teeth!!!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8307151.html
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2018, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Those scumbag 'nasty party' politicians that stated that they could replace our exports to the EU with a similar export rate to the Commonwealth have been proved to be lying through their teeth!!!

I suppose if you take your opinion from the Indie to save you forming your own your bound to think that.
There is no reason it has to stay that way if we are competitive and the price and quality of our goods is right . They just need a few decent sales people to get the job done.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-04-2018, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
I suppose if you take your opinion from the Indie to save you forming your own your bound to think that.
There is no reason it has to stay that way if we are competitive and the price and quality of our goods is right . They just need a few decent sales people to get the job done.
Hear hear.

I tend not to listen to the prophets of doom these days, in fact I never have.

We have always been a trading nation, and a very successful one too. I'm afraid that some people have no confidence in our abilities as they have been brainwashed for so long by the EU proponents.

We shall see.

Of course, it all rather depends on the capabilities of our politicians. What a shame!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

18-04-2018, 10:46 PM

So many ifs and buts....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->

There was an interview with an ex New Zealand pm the other day on the radio, it was put to her that New Zealand trades with others in large quantise and won't want our small market, she stopped that straight away by saying they sell large quantities of low quality lamb, the U.K. market is about high quality cuts that the other countries won't pay for, so we are actually a very happy fit for them to deal with even more than they do.

I'm imagining that story may be repeated as we get to a point we can negotiate.

Page 9 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top