Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 05:53 AM

Re: Once again

We should abolish the House of Lords it's just another gravy train just like the European Parliament lot
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
You only say that because you don't like their vote. People with self interest rarely agree with them. But they always vote for common sense. Not vainglorious jibber-jabber and populist pandering.
I don't need a bunch of privileged, unelected, out of touch , unaccountable arseholes deciding what is or is not common sense on my behalf and the sooner we smash their hold on influence and power and pull their snouts out of the trough the better.

Their presence in our political life is an anomaly, an embarrassment and a travesty.

I would like to see either an elected 2nd chamber or a peoples' chamber of random members of the electorate appointed for short periods of tenure and ever changing.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I don't need a bunch of privileged, unelected, out of touch , unaccountable arseholes deciding what is or is not common sense on my behalf and the sooner we smash their hold on influence and power and pull their snouts out of the trough the better.

Their presence in our political life is an anomaly, an embarrassment and a travesty.

I would like to see either an elected 2nd chamber or a peoples' chamber of random members of the electorate appointed for short periods of tenure and ever changing.
Gets my vote.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 10:02 AM

People with self interest rarely agree with them.
Yet you seem to agree with them!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
we should abolish the house of lords it's just another gravy train just like the european parliament lot
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

19-04-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->

Yes, the Lords is an historical anomaly. I'm not sure whether there are any other nations in the world which appoint such people to run their country although, yes, there are dictatorships.

I agree with your suggestion of an elected second chamber, although if random members of the electorate were appointed, who knows what we'd get: criminals, pikeys!, who knows?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2018, 11:04 AM

Hi

Why are you all getting your knickers in a twist?

The vote was meaningless, the only thing it commits us to is asking the EU if we can remain in the Customs Union.

It will be a 30 second discussion.

Davis Davies.

Can we stay in the Customs Union, without paying anything in, restricting EU Immigration and negotiating our own Trade Deals?

Barnier

No.

We have then complied with the amendment, job done.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 01:04 PM

You only say that because you don't like their vote. People with self interest rarely agree with them. But they always vote for common sense. Not vainglorious jibber-jabber and populist pandering.
Sorry, Annie, but can't agree that voting against the will of the people is beneficial to anybody.

The Gov has already said that they will ignore the vote - so, except for showing the EU how divided we are, it shows no positives at all!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2018, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, the Lords is an historical anomaly. I'm not sure whether there are any other nations in the world which appoint such people to run their country although, yes, there are dictatorships.

I agree with your suggestion of an elected second chamber, although if random members of the electorate were appointed, who knows what we'd get: criminals, pikeys!, who knows?
My bold!

Surely the Lords is exactly the same as a level of the EU.

Not elected, high power, much money.......!

Time for them to get a real job....if they are not way too old!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-04-2018, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Sorry, Annie, but can't agree that voting against the will of the people is beneficial to anybody.

The Gov has already said that they will ignore the vote - so, except for showing the EU how divided we are, it shows no positives at all!
And it really clarifies the suggestion that the Lords is of absolutely no real use.

Just a very expensive old people's home.

Some would argue that we must keep the Lords because we have a monarchy. They say that the two go together.

I disagree.

What about other European monarchies: Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, etc.? Do any of them have a government body comprising unelected aristocrats?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top