Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2014, 10:09 PM

Re: Pete's Gone Lame

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Hubby just called. The vet THINKS it's a torn ACL... not what I wanted to hear.. He is going to try conservative measures first.. Anti-inflamatories and rest.. before referring us to an orthopedic vet for surgery. Pete also has to shed about 20 pounds. We are starting him on the frozen green bean diet. Half his food ration and half beans. The vet approves this trick. This is a new vet for us and it's the first time he's seen Pete. He agrees with our old vet.. No medication for his seizures since he only has them once every three or four months.

Oh dear, poor Pete, no wonder he was lame. Hope the treatment works for him and he escapes any surgery Audrey.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 02:32 PM

Pete has taken a turn for the worse. He seemed to be getting better, and then he jumped off the sofa and something happened to his OTHER leg. So now he has two lame legs.. One he can put a little weight on.. the other is about useless. We have to carry him up and down the stairs. He looks "twisted" in the back.. like his hips are crooked. I'm frantic waiting for the vet to open this morning.. hubby will take him in right away. I worry it's a spinal cord injury..

Thinking back... last summer, Pete jumped out of a 2nd story window.. on to an enclosed porch roof and then to the ground. He seemed a bit sore for a few days, but other than that no problems. Until NOW.. I am truely concerned that he suffered a compression fracture and that it is now pressing on disc and perhaps compressing his spinal cord. Sometimes it sucks to be a nurse... all these thoughts.. Anyway. I am going to DEMAND an xray and a CT scan... we have to get to the bottom of this.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Good grief Audrey, your poor Pete. I think you are doing exactly the right thing by insisting on proper tests now.
Please let us know how he gets on, and good luck.
((( very gentle hugs))) to Pete.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 05:28 PM

Petey's at the vet now. They have to sedate him for the xrays and will keep him a few hours. I'll know more later.. The vet still thinks it's his knee... but this is the other leg now.. what odds are there that he would tear both ACLs withing a week of each other..?? We told the vet about his roof flight last summer. So I'm still worried about his spine.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2014, 06:35 PM

I do hope he's OK..Audrey!!

''Sending out healing!''
AudreyII
USA

23-04-2014, 09:25 PM

Good news...... and bad news..

The good news is that his spine is fine. No fractures and no spinal cord compression. His hips are also fine.

Bad news is that he has torn his ACL is both legs. However, the joint is tight, which is good according to the vet. So we are going to continue to treat it conservatively. The vet showed us how to make a sling using a shopping bag to help lift his hind end up the stairs.. We will continue to give him Rimadyl and ultram for the pain and inflammation.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

23-04-2014, 10:48 PM

Well I guess you've ruled out the worst scenario Audrey, so that must be some relief. Maybe because of his first bad leg, he over used the good back leg. Poor old boy, I hope he gets on alright, but I guess it's going to take a good while now.
AudreyII
USA

24-04-2014, 12:20 PM

Poor Petey.... He had a pretty rough night. I could tell he was in pain from the tossing and turning and heavy panting during the night. I was afraid to give him too much medication before bed as he had just been through anesthesia for his tests. Also, the vet did a pretty thorough manipulation of his knees while he was sedated, so I'm sure that added to his pain. Tonight I'll make sure to give him a hefty dose of pain meds before we go to bed.

I have to work on getting some weight off him too. He has gained a pound since his last vet visit despite my cutting back his food. He's not active now and just laying around because of his knees. Pete weighs 62 pounds... that's up nearly 20 pounds in the three years he has been with us. Pete's living the good life, but it's not exactly good for HIM... or his knees.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Poor Pete if he likes carrots they make lovely sweet low calorie treats our love them, cleans their teeth too !

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top