Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 07:13 PM

Re: Why is it...

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...when you start one job you make a dozen other ones

I started the bathroom today and after removing a panel discovered the loo is leaking now I am going to have to find a plumber who will probably say he can't fix the leak without replacing the loo...

Remind me not to do any more decorating this year...
I've recently had exactly the same problem made worse because the loo was encased in one of those built in units, the worse part was finding out it had probably been leaking for over a year which only became apparent when I noticed a couple of the floor tiles had become loose.
The outcome was the unit had to be ripped out and a new loo installed, cost £210, the pipework hasn't as yet been boxed in as there has been water damage below the wooden floorboards and so it has to be left in the hope it dries out and hasn't done even more damage.

Couldn't claim on the insurance, drat Saga who weren't at all helpful, my excess was £250 so they said it wasn't worth putting in a claim even though the problem could be ongoing, if it turns out I may need the floor replacing and some of the wall tiles no doubt they'll say it's a different claim and I'll end up paying again!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
...when you start one job you make a dozen other ones
While decorating the kitchen one of the brackets supporting the curtain rail broke and that particular rail has 'been discontinued' so I had to replace the lot.
..I needed a new blind, when it arrived it was 2cm shorter than advertised so wouldn't fit and had to be combined with bits of the old one to make it fit.

I started the bathroom today and after removing a panel discovered the loo is leaking now I am going to have to find a plumber who will probably say he can't fix the leak without replacing the loo...

Remind me not to do any more decorating this year...

Well - that has given me a wonderful excuse for not starting decorating the bedroom ! Thank you!
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Our house was built in the 1920's and I'm dreading the latest new job the wife is lining up, plastering the walls in the living room, a terrible messy job with covering things up and moving everything about, God only knows what 'spin off' jobs will come after that, as long as I get plenty of notice I'll be off for the duration, she's welcome to come with me if she likes.
I always take her with me everywhere, beats having to kiss her goodbye. (Groucho Marks)
I know that feeling Jem!

Ours is 1926 Council built house and some of the things we've found so far have been a bit worrying.

The kitchen for example has what appears to be a 2.5 inch diameter gas pipe embedded in the wall - and it goes down below ground beyond tracing without digging up the entire foundation and we've also discovered that there were a lot of small bore gas pipes under the floor boards upstairs for the original gas lighting.

They got checked properly before they were removed but the kitchen wall pipe we just ignore!

The Gas Safety people checked to see if there was any pipework in the street that could possibly lead to that old pipe and there is but they say that as far as they could ascertain, there's not gas in it but advised us NOT to drill anywhere near it in our kitchen!

On top of that the hallway had asbestos in the ceiling (and there could be more elsewhere apparently) plus most of the internal walls were painted originally with green lead paint - another potential health hazard when dealing with replastering or repairs. stevmk2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 07:06 PM

We had the stumps of two old gas pipes sticking out of the kitchen ceiling Steve, the lads who did the job didn't interfere with them, they covered them in a sort of wooden small box and it looks OK now.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top