Join for free
Page 12 of 21 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:17 AM

Re: Polite discourse vs hostility and rudeness

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Fine Artangel, do that in a post
Ok Meg, Even if it derails the thread?!!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:20 AM

Mark I have also frequented forums with a 'like' button and even one with the ability to leave positive and negative comments and I disliked them.

I like to be open with people and say what I think rather than sneaking around pressing buttons.
You are not obliged to click anything but the option to like a post is there should you want. Nothing sneaky about it. To me it shows that certain people have taken the time to read your post and also it gives some insight into how their minds work - as in are they like minded or not. All helps with forming opinions of other forum users.

Take for instance a thread you haven't read before and there are 10 posts you like. So what are you going to do? Create 10 new posts so that you can thank them individually or create a big un with masses of quotes until you have lost the will to live and decide not to bother. Whereas you could just tick them as you read them should you want.

Anyway I have had my say on this issue - back to my anime.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Ok Meg, Even if it derails the thread?!!
Why should it 'derail' a thread to tell someone you agree with them and maybe the reason.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:28 AM

Like and dislike buttons?...no thanks..I for one do not need any pats on the back for posts I make...I'm not 5 Yrs of age!! and If Someone doesn't like or disagrees with what I say,that's up to Them to say so,
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
But it does far more than that. It is like a mark of respect. Paying homage to a well considered thoughtful post in a way.

As for disliking a post you could say a lack of 'likes' is more or less the same thing - either the post isn't anything special or you don't agree with it.
Yeah, I suppose. But I wonder if someone getting dislikes to their posts will cause them to stop posting altogether? Sometimes ignorance is bliss. And sometimes people treat the liking and disliking thing as a hobby, they'll go through threads and just start liking or disliking everyone's posts just for the heck of it. And then there are those who 'like' their own posts just to bump up the ratings.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 12:34 AM

Mmmm 'the like button' the forum equivalent of sweeties for the children
I don't mind if someone likes or dislikes my opinion, I am not a child needing approval.

I prefer people taking the time too say why they do or don't agree with someone rather than pressing a button.
Thank you. You expressed it better than I've been able to.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I seem to be very laid back lately. Don't really find any post that offensive. When under the influence it seemed a hell of a lot were! Odd. Anyway, you can glean all sorts from sexy tete-a-tete, such as who is trying to impress who, or who is showing any interest in who and so on. Also shows if someone isn't getting enough and so on. Just makes forum life all the richer for me. I even like it when things get really heated and personal threats are thrown at each other - can be a bloody good laugh - hell I have been in a few of these myself. Thing is the mods step in when things do get out of hand and everything has been fine until now - more or less. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Of all the posts on this matter MKJ I think that yours has been the most sensible and even handed one.
It is pretty obvious to me that you have a handle on all the nuances of forum life. Well done, and if I owned this place I would want you to be my mod. No Bullslip.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
Yeah, I suppose. But I wonder if someone getting dislikes to their posts will cause them to stop posting altogether? Sometimes ignorance is bliss. And sometimes people treat the liking and disliking thing as a hobby, they'll go through threads and just start liking or disliking everyone's posts just for the heck of it. And then there are those who 'like' their own posts just to bump up the ratings.
You make some very good points as well there Linda.
I am with you on that one.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 01:45 AM

I haven't noticed any unpleasantness of late, but then I don't visit any of the serious parts of this site & don't stray far from a few more frivolous parts.

Folks in the main are positive in their posts, the idle, bored and plain nasty are best ignored.

I think Azz, Mags & Meg are a great asset to us all & I am happy with their efforts.

Don't bother commenting on this post, it is just my opinion
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2015, 01:51 AM

Can i have a button that if pressed will fty the electronics of the ratbags trying to sell kitchens etc on here

Page 12 of 21 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top