Join for free
Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 08:55 PM

Re: barnier the begging clown

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Most of my German friends and colleagues have the same sense of humour as us Brits.
What? Germans having a sense of humour?

No, just kidding... good to hear that really.

Personally my favourites are:
The IT Croud,
The Mighty Boosh,
The Office (how I love Ricky Gervais),
Little Britain (not so much like the above) and
Detectorists (although it is completely different from the above)
Germany
7779311 is male  7779311 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
The use of such words when referring to some foreigners is not guaranteed to indicate disdain. Very often it is done in humour; what we call 'dry humour'. It is a national trait of the British to make fun of each other in a humorous way.

In my case, however, I often use the word 'Frogs' to refer to our traditional enemy. If you look back in history, you'll see that is definitely the case. In fact, they have only really been our friends and allies twice that I know of.

Of course, I do realise that not all Frogs are despicable and untrustworthy. I'm sure that there must be a few who are quite nice people. In fact, I think I might have met one or two. Certainly, though, the ones we hear threatening and demanding - er, my apologies, I meant 'discussing' - such as Barmier and Micron, definitely give the impression that we are only here to be bullied.
Hm, thank You again for your explanation. I must admit that I do not use words like "Frogs" when I talk about foreign people. It somehow does not seem appropriate to me because I cannot see characteristics in a people which would justify such a perception for me personally.

We have words like that in German to, like "Froschfresser" or "Spaghettifresser" which mean "frog eater" and "spaghetti eater" but they are considered mean and I think that they are not used frequently in "educated conversation".

But besides that what I really would like to know: where does that bad perception of M. Barnier come from? My French ist too poor to understand his interviews which is why I listen to them in English.
He does not seem threatening to me. Demanding - yes when it comes to sticking to the signed agreements.

So why the "hatred"?
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
At the moment there are imho more pressing matters such as: why is M. Barnier insisting on the UK to comply with the agreements which B. Johnson signed last year while D. Frost (and some newspapers) are trying to make the agreements optional for future negotiations.
The point is, monsieur barnier hadn't expected the british NOT to comply, he thought he was negotiating with a man of the same honour as himself. Now barnier is panicking because he sees that boris is of other mettle. The same mettle that those on this forum supporting boris are made of. Or why else don't they denounce boris' treacherous behaviour? For the same reason they don't want to sign up to a level playing field. Fair play may be a typical english term, but not all english people know how to live by it. Ironically enough they even think david frost is doing them a favour.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by 7779311 ->
So why the "hatred"?
It's not difficult, and it isn't even personal. Barnier is representing the EU a powerful bloc of countries. Barnier, with that power behind him, has time and again forced the UK to backtrack on their demands. The UK is the minor party in these discussions, and of course the british realise that, but they can't get that through their throats without choking. They still view britain as that empire, the commonwealth etc. Young people are free of that burden, but old wood still burns on it.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
It's not difficult, and it isn't even personal. Barnier is representing the EU a powerful bloc of countries. Barnier, with that power behind him, has time and again forced the UK to backtrack on their demands. The UK is the minor party in these discussions, and of course the british realise that, but they can't get that through their throats without choking. They still view britain as that empire, the commonwealth etc. Young people are free of that burden, but old wood still burns on it.

We haven't back tracked on anything, we asking for what Barnier and Tusk offered is in March 2018 - a FTA based on Canada.

Its the EU thats cherry picking not us

The UK is not a minority party either, we were your 2nd biggest net contributor and are your 2nd biggest market

Stop making things up
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-06-2020, 09:29 PM

We haven't back tracked on anything, we asking for what Barnier and Tusk offered is in March 2018 - a FTA based on Canada.

The UK is not a inositol party either, we were your 2nd biggest net contributor and are your 2nd biggest market

Stop making things up
Wow! You are easily ignited! Old wood, must be.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-06-2020, 09:33 PM

The UK is not a inositol party either, we were your 2nd biggest net contributor and are your 2nd biggest market

Stop making things up
Are you suffering from anxiety attacks? Supposing you inadvertently forgot to remove inositol.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2020, 09:37 PM

Are you suffering from anxiety attacks? Supposing you inadvertently forgot to remove inositol.

Predictive text

I'm on a beach, fishing and have wet hands.
Germany

08-06-2020, 09:43 PM

The point is, monsieur barnier hadn't expected the british NOT to comply, he thought he was negotiating with a man of the same honour as himself. Now barnier is panicking because he sees that boris is of other mettle. The same mettle that those on this forum supporting boris are made of. Or why else don't they denounce boris' treacherous behaviour? For the same reason they don't want to sign up to a level playing field. Fair play may be a typical english term, but not all english people know how to live by it. Ironically enough they even think david frost is doing them a favour.
My life must have been too naive all the time. I never had expected that
- The German wall would fall,
- George Bush would have become POTUS,
- The USA really elected a colored president,
- Germany elected a female chancellor,
- The UK voted for BREXIT,
- Russia annected the Krim without punishment
- "you know who" became POTUS (I cannot speak his name, the orange one).

So obviously it was naive to expect D. Frost to comply to the signed agreements.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

08-06-2020, 09:45 PM

Predictive text

I'm on a beach, fishing and have wet hands.
Sorry

Page 13 of 21 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top