Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 09:17 PM

Discord V Harmony.

Having reached the ripe old age of 81 I have come to the conclusion that some people actually prefer a life of discord to a life of harmony. What's your view on this ?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 09:30 PM

Re: Discord V Harmony.

Congratulations Alan, I hope I'm as fit and as well as you are if I reach 81.
I think some people are never happy until there’s some sort of a row going on. But it takes all sorts to make a world and I suppose those who like things quiet and peaceful just have to put up with it and vice versa. I'm on the side of harmony just for the record.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 10:09 PM

Harmony for Me too..Had enough of discord in My younger Life...peace n quiet is the Name of the game for Me from now on....well...maybe not TOO quiet n peaceful,lol,but certainly on this Social Site...Just don't rattle My nice quiet cage puleeez,;~)
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 10:16 PM

I like a bit of discord in my music art and especially nature, and if im honest its something that has grown on me.In my younger days it was head down and the quiet life, of course this was forced on me by others.

However that is for me and i would not project that on to others, still its a common trait everywhere, something that the net allows people to get away with from behind a keyboard that they would never do face to face.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 11:28 PM

I think it depends on what you mean by discord. If you just mean disagreeing with someone then as far as I'm concerned that's fine, it would be boring if we all thought the same. Personally I like a good discussion between people who know what they're talking about.

If, however, you mean picking on people for the sake of having an argument then No! Like Nom I think that some folk vent their spleen online in a way they never would otherwise; they're just rather sad people and probably lonely ones too.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2015, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Having reached the ripe old age of 81 I have come to the conclusion that some people actually prefer a life of discord to a life of harmony. What's your view on this ?
Discord is fine, provided you believe what you have to say is valid, and current, Harmony can ensue as a result of lack of valid Discord, or the lack of energy to pursue a course that requires a thought pattern that is consuming resource that could be used more productively elsewhere, also, extreme age is no guarantee of wisdom, but is an achievement in itself. Imo.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 02:37 AM

Dead right - people LOVE a bit of blood on the walls.

All these silly 'reality' TV shows - If there were no bunfights, there would be few viewers.

Talk-back radio. Ratings would drop to zero if everyone agreed with each other or were even civil.

I've seen Chat Rooms dying a slow death because everyone basically agreed.
Then along comes a 'troll' and participation explodes.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 05:58 AM

I wouldn't have thought it was an either/or situation. Sometimes you agree on something sometimes you disagree, that is what makes life interesting.

Personally I think a life of too much sweetness and light would get nauseating after a while, likewise constant strife would be too wearing (I have two ex wives to prove that point). There has to be a Goldilocks zone somewhere in the middle of the continuum between the two.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wouldn't have thought it was an either/or situation. Sometimes you agree on something sometimes you disagree, that is what makes life interesting.

Personally I think a life of too much sweetness and light would get nauseating after a while, likewise constant strife would be too wearing (I have two ex wives to prove that point). There has to be a Goldilocks zone somewhere in the middle of the continuum between the two.
Don't know if you get our papers Bruce - but discord far outweighs harmony and that 'is' a shame .....
Living amongst many people here, they are ready to find discord too - I find 'that' sickening .......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Alan I do think some people look for/try to cause discord whenever possible and I would guess they lead lonely or unhappy lives and are taking out their frustration on the rest of the world.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top