Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Re: Australians Royal Prank Call

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
I can't believe for one minute she would have been allowed to do what she was doing as a nurse if she had.
I have a friend in Canada who is a senior nurse on a transplant ward and she has battled depression for over 10 years but still employed and, to be fair to her, she does a really good job.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Wrinkly, maybe I'm wrong but I seem to recall that the newspapers reported that the nurse had previously tried to commit suicide due to depression.
All the more reason to be careful who you pick on to "joke" with IMO. None of us know what anyone's state of mind is and we all "speak" to each other everyday, to pick on a stranger who could be going through anything at all seems height of idiocy to me and shows a disregard for their safety.

When Jeremy Beadle did his jokes he always spoke to members of family and friends to be assured the person could take the joke, I know on at least two occasions they stopped jokes when they knew someone was unable to take it as intended. Some care was shown to the individuals and the end of the joke was the person saw the funny side, was this lady checked, was she in on the joke at the end ? I don't think they gave one thought to what it could do to her at all.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 12:40 PM

Absolutely right Julie. Most youngsters seem really caught up in pranking and some are even gaining 'fame' on youtube because of it - serial prankers.

This one shown very recently left me feeling cold:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-The-Ring.html

Why would anyone want to terrify someone that much?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 01:20 PM

I don't understand it at all, jokes should be funny not terrifying.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have a friend in Canada who is a senior nurse on a transplant ward and she has battled depression for over 10 years but still employed and, to be fair to her, she does a really good job.
I would be more concerned if the Royals are involved, but at the end of the day it was a prank that went horribly wrong.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
It was reported by the Daily Wail that she had Alan, but in the same article her family said she hadn't, I can't believe for one minute she would have been allowed to do what she was doing as a nurse if she had.
Sorry, Wrinkly, but I am utterly speechless at reading that attitude. Mental illness, like physical illness, is treatable. Many healthcare workers suffer from mental illness but continue to do their jobs well. In fact, some who I have come across are among the very best in their profession.

Your post seems to reflect the perception of stigma that used to be associated with mental health issues when they are not understood properly. I find that very sad.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2013, 10:33 PM

Ania I know about depression, I have been there and know that a person. with depression can attack another person.
About 40 years ago I attempted suicide, but thankfully conquered to with the help of a good wife.
That is why I said what I did.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-07-2013, 08:22 AM

Attacking another person when depressed can't be common surely ? When I was depressed harming someone else was far from my mind, killing myself was on the menu but attacking someone
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.

12-07-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Attacking another person when depressed can't be common surely ? When I was depressed harming someone else was far from my mind, killing myself was on the menu but attacking someone
Depression comes in many different forms, just google it and you will see I am right.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2013, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Julie you are right, it is not common whereas self-harm is.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top